|The colorful pseudoscience|
|Hating thy neighbour|
|Divide and conquer|
Black supremacy is a collection of racialist ideologies that developed in response to white supremacy. Many of the largest black supremacist groups are black-Muslim separatist movements like the Nation of Islam (though black-Jewish separatist groups like the Nation of Yahweh also exist).
The ideology of black supremacy, of course, is the mirror image of white supremacy. While different groups put their own spin on things, black supremacy often involves the racialist pseudoscience called "melanin theory" and the pseudohistory called "Afrocentrism". The basic idea behind melanin theory is that black is the "natural" skin color because humans originated in Africa, so lighter skin tones are aberrations. Various melanin theorists build on top of this, positing all sorts of biologically unsupportable claims about melanin increasing muscle tone, brain activity, physical ability, etc. Some theories get into really batshit territory, claiming that melanin can grant paranormal powers like ESP.
Afrocentrism and melanin theory often cross-pollinate, but Afrocentrism as a separate concept has a historical rather than biological focus. It's important to separate legitimate historical revisionism from the kind Afrocentrists engage in. The early histories and ethnographies of African cultures were written largely by European historians and anthropologists from an imperialist perspective. Thus, these works are often skewed by racism and filled with factual inaccuracies, and are outdated due to new findings in archaeological and historical scholarship. There have been many revisionist works throughout the 20th and 21st centuries that attempt to look at this history from an African perspective, but remain factual. This is simply an attempt to "correct the record". Afrocentrism, on the other hand, engages in distortion and fabrications of its own. One of the central claims of Afrocentrists is that Egypt was ruled by a black race. They use this to claim that Greco-Roman civilization, and by extension, Western civilization, is actually based on black culture. Working from this point, they rewrite many historical figures like Socrates as having been black and shoehorn various events into the ideology.
When called on their bullshit, they tend to justify their factual inaccuracies by claiming that critics are using a Eurocentric methodology that is unable to ascertain a true understanding of history and that only those using the Afrocentric methodology can do so. And just for the record, Ramesses II was a ginger.
Similar crank claims point toward India (implying that the existence of the "Negrito" people, meaning that Indian culture came from black Africans, and the Dravidians are so dark that they must be Africans), China (depictions of people in dark materials, imply they were black, for example, Terracotta Army), Japanese (Jomons would have been black, and so were the Ainu, as they used black bronze in their sculptures, and were painted in light-brown, which is clearly white washing from the Japaneses bigots) and the Mongols ("black khans"), in America, rewriting Central America, Aztecs, Mayas, and particularly, the Olmecs, since they had wide noses in their statues.
Oddly, some black supremacist groups have formed friendly relations with white supremacist groups. Part of it may be that both ideologies tend to promote anti-Semitism and homophobia. Another reason is a shared tendency toward nationalism and separatism: both ideologies agree that the "races" are fundamentally incompatible with one another, and thus have the common end goal of a series of separate states for each "race". So if White Nationalists want to move all the white people to, say, Montana and kick out all the black people, and Black Nationalists want to move all the black people to, say, not-Montana and kick out the white people, they both have the same goal. Louis Farrakhan of the Nation of Islam invited the neo-Nazi Tom Metzger to NOI meetings. Metzger remarked:
“”They speak out against the Jews and the oppressors in Washington… They are the black counterpart to us.
The black supremacist sect that probably most promotes anti-Semitism ironically identifies itself as "Black Hebrew Israelites." This ideology has its roots in post-bellum Pentecostalism, which transmuted into "Black Judaism." According to Black Judaism and Black Hebrew Israelism, the newly freed slaves of America's South were the true Hebrews and descendants of the tribes of Israel (an assertion that mirrors the Christian Identity theology held by some white supremacists, which claims Aryans as the true Hebrew race). F.S. Cherry, a late 19th century proponent of Black Judaism's more hateful elements, also preached about a race war with apocalyptic overtones that would supposedly occur in the year 2000 and refashion society into one where blacks were the superior race. The belief that blacks are the "true" Hebrews also leads many in the Black Hebrew Israelite movement to espouse anti-Semitic pseudohistory such as the Khazar myth and Holocaust denial.
- Clyde Winters
- Egmond Codfried
- New Black Panther Party
- Yakub Islam
- Committee for Skeptical Inquiry: Magic Melanin, Multicultural Pseudoscience
- Hall of Ma'at: Afrocentric linguistics,Stolen Legacy (or Mythical History?) Did the Greeks Steal Philosophy from the Egyptians?
- Afrocentrism, The Skeptic's Dictionary
- The Afrocentric Hustle, Stanley Crouch
- African American Racism in the Academic Community, Barry Mehler
- Overview of black separatist groups at the Southern Poverty Law Center
- They were not here before Columbus: Afrocentric Hyperdiffusionism in the 1990s, Bernard Ortiz de Montellano
- ↑ Ceccaldi, Pierre (1987). "Research on the Mummy of Ramasses II". Bulletin de l'Academie de médecine 171:1 (1): 119. This makes it extremely unlikely that he was black, as the gene for red hair causes increased sun sensitivity; it is only sustained in places that get less sunlight because it has no significant impact, whereas it is strongly selected against in populations near the Equator.
- ↑ This is essentially a fallacious attempt to recycle old Eurocentric race theories which portrayed the Ainu as a relict Negrito population; in fact, they are lighter-skinned and more "European"-looking than the Japanese
- ↑ http://realhistoryww.com/ "Legitimate Black researchers, (as opposed to those who do it to gain favor with the Albinos and thus make money), must out of necessity, try to reconstruct history by bits and pieces. The Albinos have after all, had over 200 years to create their false paintings, statues, and false translations of historical documents."
- ↑ Louis Farrakhan and the Nation of Islam
- ↑ It should be noted that not all members of this religious sect openly promote black supremacy. See See the Wikipedia article on Black Hebrew Israelites.
- ↑ Southern Poverty Law Center reports: History of Hebrew Israelism, Ready for War. Religious Tolerance: Black Hebrew Israelites