|Part of the series on|
Equivocation is a logical fallacy that relies on the different meanings a word can have in different contexts. It is a favorite fallacy of creationist and woo hucksters alike. It can be used both to seemingly belittle a concept or idea, or to raise one up to false pretenses. It can be used to disguise bullshit like in quantum woo where people like Deepak Chopra use equivocation to make their ideas sound like they have some basis in reality.
- "Because it's called the 'theory of evolution,' evolution is an unproven assumption."
- "You have faith in science, and I have faith in God."
- "Because the word 'Nazi' is short for 'National Socialism,' socialists are Nazis."
- "The Theory of Relativity is immoral because it promotes Moral Relativism."
- "Since Evolutionism is based on the work of Darwin, Evolutionists are in favor of Social Darwinism.
| Articles about logical fallacies|
|Affirming the consequent||Denying the antecedent|
|Fallacious argument styles|