Michael Cremo is a "Vedic" creationist responsible for perpetuating much woo and fodder for conspiracy theorists, particularly through his book Forbidden Archaeology, which he co-wrote with Richard L. Thompson, another Vedic creationist. He believes that modern humans, i.e. Homo sapiens, have lived on the earth for billions of years with little or no alteration to their biological characteristics. He sometimes writes books on Hindu spirituality under the pseudonym of Drutakarma Dasa.
According to his own autobiography, Cremo has no scientific education (bet you never would have expected that). His website though proudly lists his membership in several professional associations. Looking into the admission criteria of these organizations, it is clear that membership is not tied to expertise:
- the History of Science Society admits everyone willing to pay the annual fees; they have also produced a statement on evolution that contradicts Cremo's ideas
- the Philosophy of Science Association has three types of members - "full", "associate" and "student". Only full membership requires any professional credentials. The PSA also shares an online membership directory with the HSS, but as of November 2010, Cremo is not listed in it as a member of any of the two organizations.
- the World Archeological Congress is open to everyone willing to pay the annual fees
- the European Association of Archaeologists accepts both "full" and "associate" members. Only professional archaeologists can be full members. Cremo's autobiography does not specify what kind of membership he has and there is no online members directory.
Cremo is also a "associate member of the Bhaktivedanta Institute specializing in history and philosophy of science." The BI is "the scientific research branch of the International Society for Krishna Consciousness", according to his own website. 'Nuff said.
- Official website
- Creationism: The Hindu View, a review of Forbidden Archeology
- Hidden History, Hidden Agenda, a review of The Hidden History of the Human Race
- Forbidden Archaeology: Antievolutionism Outside the Christian Arena, Wade Tarzia
- Vedic creationism in America, Meera Nanda
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 http://www.mcremo.com/cremo.htm
- ↑ http://www.hssonline.org/about/society_statutes.html#membership
- ↑ http://www.hssonline.org/about/society_evolution.html
- ↑ http://philsci.org/about/bylaws.html, ARTICLE II. Membership and Dues
- ↑ https://subfill.uchicago.edu/Societies/HSS-PSA/HSS-PSAMembership.html
- ↑ http://www.worldarchaeologicalcongress.org/site/join.php
- ↑ http://www.e-a-a.org/memcats.htm
- ↑ http://www.mcremo.com/bi.html