Harun Yahya is the pseudonym of Adnan Oktar, a prolific Muslim Turkish old Earth creationist. He is also known for his anti-Semitic and Holocaust denial positions, and for being charged and convicted of using his advocacy organisation for criminal purposes. He has written over 200 books on various topics, including one in 2006, Atlas of Creation, which attempts to damn evolution by demonstrating that various species are unchanged from their fossil ancestors. Unfortunately he fails at this due to being unable to differentiate (for instance) sea snakes from eels, salamanders from frogs and flies from fishing lures! At least we can agree that fishing lures were created and did not evolve from live bait. We could even say that ones that get the job done very well are intelligently designed.
So convinced is he of his rightness that he sent numerous free copies of Atlas of Creation to renowned zoologists and biologists worldwide. One of the "lucky" recipients was Richard Dawkins, who reviews the tome here in a less than flattering light. PZ Myers analyses his copy here.
 European attack
He has mailed copies of his book to schools in many European countries & is referred to many times in a document entitled: "The dangers of creationism in education" produced by the Council of Europe. Specific mentions of some of his errors are made in this document.
 Harun Yahya's recycled arguments
Harun Yahya's attempts at positive arguments for creationism all seem to fall into much the same pattern.
- Step one, which takes 90% or more of each essay, involves giving perfectly genuine scientific facts, copied from real scientists, concerning some aspect of nature. It really doesn't matter what - it can be anything from the metabolism of the koala to mimicry in parrots to the workings of the Venus Fly-Trap.
- Step two involves pretending that "Darwinists" claim that the natural world was produced by "coincidence", or "random chance". Yahya then points out that this can't possibly be the case, and concludes that therefore evolution is wrong.
He varies this formula very little: occasionally he skips straight from step one to step three without bothering with step two.
The advantage of this method is that he can spend 90% of each essay copying out things which are actually true, which is a great way to pad out his essays, books, and DVDs. He requires only one lie - the huge, preposterous pretence that the theory of evolution ascribes the order and complexity of the natural world to "coincidences". This flimsy, clumsy misrepresentation of evolution can indeed be blown away by more or less any fact about the natural world. To quote the biologist and popularizer of evolution, Richard Dawkins:
“”It is grindingly, creakingly, crashingly obvious that, if Darwinism were really a theory of chance, it couldn't work.
|—Richard Dawkins, Climbing Mount Improbable|
Besides attempts at the argument from design, Harun Yahya comes out with the usual creationist nonsense about intermediate forms, the standard pretense that "evolution is a religion", the popular creationist myth that creationists are gaining ground and the usual sorry ritual of blaming evolution for Social Darwinism, for Nazism, for Communism, and in a feat of chutzpah unusual even in a creationist, for terrorism. As this is the same stuff that every other creationist repeats, we presume that it is not the result of independent thought, but of copying off Christian fundamentalists and changing the word "Jesus" to "Allah" where necessary. As there is nothing original or even unusual in the arguments he recites, the reader will find all of his arguments listed, and debunked, in our index of creationist arguments
The one disadvantage of Yahya's technique is it is wholly unoriginal. He bases his arguments off of the creationist lies used over and over again, anyone who spends five minutes finding out what the theory of evolution actually is will realize that Yahya's essays are deceitful rubbish. Presumably he's betting on his followers lacking the intellectual integrity or curiosity to spend five minutes with a biology textbook; and, sadly, it appears that this gamble has paid off.
In September 2008 he offered to pay out "10 trillion Turkish Lira to anyone who produces a single intermediate-form fossil demonstrating evolution" - he should bring his chequebook and take a trip to Lyme Regis for a day's ammonite hunting. Though considering he wouldn't know a transitional form if it got up, tap danced and whacked him on the head with its half-formed turtle shell or bit his nuts with its dinosaur-like teeth and bird-based beak, don't expect to see the money any time soon.
After initially being acquitted in 2000 of heading a criminal organization - the practices of his institute apparently including extortion, specifically using girls to get wealthy young men in compromising positions and then blackmailing them - he was convicted and sentenced to three years imprisonment in 2008. He is - obviously - appealing. (Or fairly unappealing depending on your point of view.)
 See also
- Kids! This site is all yours
- Ask Darwinists, a response to some of Yahya's tripe
- Branches of science you have to ignore to believe in young Earth creationism
- Ray Comfort
- Qur'anic scientific foreknowledge
- ↑ Although sometimes he claims that the Earth is less than 10000 years old when arguing with priests, mullahs or hodjas, he accepts that the universe is 4.63x1010 when facing off with real science.
- ↑ Guilty verdict - Reuters
- ↑ 234 as of January 9th 2013
- ↑ Since fishing lures are designed to fool fish, and managed to fool Yahya, it can be assumed they are of similar intelligence. Also, it is doubtful whether all fish are stupid enough to be fooled...
- ↑ Sex, flies and videotape: the secret lives of Harun Yahya
- ↑ Yahya, Harun. "Websites". n.d. Web. 06 November 2014.
- ↑ Harun Yahya Apps
- ↑ 
- ↑ Dawkins website banned in Turkey
- ↑ Yahya on the Koala
- ↑ Yahya on Parrots
- ↑ Yahya on the Venus Fly-Trap
- ↑ Yahya Golden Ratio
- ↑ Darwinism is not science
- ↑ Darwinism on the retreat
- ↑ Darwinism and Materialism
- ↑ The Independent - Creationist offers prize for fossil proof of evolution
- ↑ Quite a lot
- ↑ For further details, see Sex, flies and videotape: the secret lives of Harun Yahya, Halil Arda, New Humanist