American Family Association
| Christ died so that we may|
write articles about
|A multi-chef broth|
|Devil's in the details|
|The pearly gates|
Anti-Family Association, or AFA, is a reactionary Christian organization founded by Donald Wildmon in 1977. Their headquarters is located in Tupelo, Mississippi. They disseminate their hate via their own radio network, American Family Radio, which syndicates their fear driven content via more than 180 stations in 40 states. Much like most reactionary media they send frequent "Action Alerts" to their subscribers. It is classified as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center.
 Their mission
Their mission is to make homosexuality illegal, along with abortion, and maybe even women's voting rights. It's pretty obvious through their website and Action Alerts. On 3 February 2010 Bryan Fischer, the group's director of Issue Analysis for Government and Public Policy commented on the AFA web site:
“”It is obvious, then, from the information gained from the FDA and the CDC that homosexual behavior represents and [sic.] enormous threat to public health. Quite simply, if intravenous drug use is against the law, homosexual behavior should be too. It’s a simple matter of common sense, sound public policy, and a concern for public health. Now once we have agreed that we have a serious health problem on our hands here, the best public policy will contain the same kind of sanctions toward homosexual behavior that we have established toward intravenous drug abuse. Whatever we think we should do to curtail injection drug use are the same sorts of things we should pursue to curtail homosexual conduct. And that's the place for the discussion to begin.
|—Bryan Fischer |
 Action Alerts
The AFA is obsessed with every act of gay sex in America and every single opinion everyone has about it. Just in case America isn't obsessed enough with gayness the AFA sends out a barrage of Action Alerts so that gay obsession can be updated in real time. Most of their Action Alerts are about seemingly frivolous things such as the McDonald's gay rights situation, the same-sex marriage argument in California, or "gays showering with straights" in the military now that Don't Ask Don't Tell policy is abolished. Their emails use clearly biased and occasionally homophobic language that still maintains the ability to seem all nice and everything.
The AFA target companies that have made statements or policies in favour of gay rights, advertised in gay publications, or even just advertised during a commercial break in a TV show which they find objectionable. They call for members to bombard these companies with complaints, or boycott their products.
Sadly, these tactics are often successful, and the AFA smugly drops its boycotts when these companies withdraw their participation in or support of LGBT organisations. It can be useful to sign up for their list and then use it to launch a support effort for targeted companies. It should also be kept in mind that their perception of boycotts by liberal pressure groups is singularly laughable for its hypocrisy, so don't expect them to show much in the way of insight anytime soon.
 Stupid fundraising stunts
Like a lot of other advocacy organizations, the AFA occasionally sells seasonal gifts in order to help finance their campaigns. Back in 2008 (shortly after Barack Obama was elected), they offered an electrically-powered devotional item that seems just a bit suspect, although they've probably got some incredibly
pathetic convenient excuse for the item in question.
 See also
- ↑ "Groups that helped oust Iowa judges earn ‘hate group’ designation", The Iowa Independent, November 23, 2010.
- ↑ Bryan Fischer, "Why Homosexual Behavior Should Be Against the Law", AFA blogs, Febriary 3, 2010
- ↑ Other than being an obviously poor comparison, this quite squarely overlooks the fact that drug prohibition laws make the possession of substances illegal, not their method of consumption; intravenous drug use is not illegal when, for example, administered and overseen by medical professionals in a hospital.
- ↑ "Obama's new military: Gays showering with straights"img, AFA, February 8, 2010.
- ↑ "Campbell Soup Company embraces homosexual agenda"img, AFA, December 19, 2008.
- ↑ "'Family Guy' crossed the line"img, AFA, February 18, 2010.
- ↑ See for example, "AFA ends boycott: McDonald's agrees to changes"img, AFA, October 9, 2008, and "PepsiCo practices reflect change; AFA suspends boycott"img, February 12, 2010.
- ↑ AFA Rails Against Evil Liberal Boycotts, Dispatches from the Culture Wars
- ↑ AFA Peddles Christmas Crap, Dispatches from the Culture Wars