| Christ died so that we may|
write articles about
|A multi-chef broth|
|Devil's in the details|
|The pearly gates|
The American Taliban is a derogatory but often accurate term for American Christian fundamentalists. It was coined after the invasion of Afghanistan, when the term Taliban became a household word. It is used to draw parallels between Islamic fundamentalism and Christian fundamentalism.
The point of the phrase is to compare those who would make the United States into a country with a state religion, or inflict their religious views on others through government decree, to the Taliban government in Afghanistan, which was also a repressive theocracy.
A website dedicated to this phenomenon has many illustrative quotes. Here are some examples:
- "We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity. We weren't punctilious about locating and punishing only Hitler and his top officers. We carpet-bombed German cities; we killed civilians. That's war. And this is war." -- Ann Coulter
- "With all due respect to those dear people, my friend, God Almighty does not hear the prayer of a Jew." -- Bailey Smith
- "Don't use the word 'gay' unless it's an acronym for 'Got AIDS yet?'" -- Bob Dornan
- "Sodomy is a graver sin than murder. – Unless there is life there can be no murder." -- David Trosch
- "American Veterans are to blame for the fag takeover of this nation. They have the power in their political lobby to influence the zeitgeist, get the fags out of the military, and back in the closet where they belong!" -- Fred Phelps
- "AIDS is a racial disease of Jews and Niggers, and fortunately it is wiping out the queers. I guess God hates queers for several reasons. There is one big reason to be against queers and that is because every time some white boy is seduced by a queer into becoming a queer, means his white bloodline has run out." -- J. B. Stoner
- "Public officials are ministers of God assigned the duty of punishing the wicked and protecting the righteous. You cannot serve two masters: you must pick -- God or Satan." -- Alabama Supreme Court Chief Justice Roy Moore 
 Or you could just go to the video
- While introducing the Frothster during a 2012 campaign appearance, Pastor Dennis Terry says (among other dog whistle bullshit statements) that libruls and other Americans who think differently from him should "get out":
 The Newsroom did it better
Similarly, the bombastic HBO series The Newsroom (written by Aaron Sorkin, no less) did an excellent summation of what they think of as the American Taliban.
 See also
- Constitution Party
- Positive Christianity
- Society for the Practical Establishment and Perpetuation of the Ten Commandments
- The Church at Kaweah