“”40% of our policies do not coincide with NSDAPs policies
|—Breivik, calling himself 60% Nazi.|
Anders Behring Breivik is the convicted murderer of 77 people in and around Oslo, Norway, on 22 July 2011. He has plead guilty to domestic terrorism charges. These include detonating a car bomb in Oslo, which killed eight, and perpetrating the massacre of 69 adolescents at a summer south camp organised by the Norwegian Labour Party. His objective was to kill as many of the next generation of Norwegian social democrats as possible, because he holds the party responsible for allowing large scale Muslim immigration.
Before the attacks, he had compiled 2083: A European Declaration of Independence, a 1518-page manifesto outlining his beliefs. He claims that he wrote approximately half of the document, while the rest is "a compilation of works from several courageous individuals throughout the world." Amongst other things this text advocates a pan-European nationalist organisation which Breivik refers to as the "Knights Templar." And we all know what they did.
 Motivation and beliefs
Breivik is a militant nationalist and extreme ideological conservative. As is true of many with such convictions, he is convinced Muslim immigration to Europe poses an existential threat. His writings frequently quote American alarmists like Robert Spencer of Jihad Watch.
 Psychological state
Breivik's attorney claimed that his client is "insane," a conclusion eventually reached by court-appointed psychiatrists, who declared him criminally insane due to paranoid schizophrenia. This assessment was disputed by mental health experts, victims and lawyers, and a second evaluation was held in 2012, which concluded instead that Breivik suffered from antisocial personality disorder combined with narcissistic personality disorder but was not psychotic and could be tried as criminal. Breivik was pleased with this finding, as he considers himself a "political activist" and preferred facing jail to a psychiatric ward. On 24 August 2012, Breivik was convicted of multiple homicide and sentenced to 21 years in prison.
 Opposition to "cultural Marxism"
Breivik denounces "cultural Marxism," which he equates with cultural relativism and multiculturalism. "You cannot defeat Islamisation or halt/reverse the Islamic colonization of Western Europe without first removing the political doctrines manifested through multiculturalism/cultural Marxism", states his manifesto.
His manifesto paints the fifties as a golden age for Europe and goes on to state that "Over the last fifty years, Western Europe has been conquered by the same force that earlier took over Russia, China, Germany and Italy. That force is ideology... The ideology that has taken over Western Europe goes most commonly by the name of 'Political Correctness.'" His outline of political correctness is as follows:
|Just what is “Political Correctness?” Political Correctness is in fact cultural Marxism (Cultural Communism) – Marxism translated from economic into cultural terms. The effort to translate Marxism from economics into culture did not begin with the student rebellion of the 1960s. It goes back at least to the 1920s and the writings of the Italian Communist Antonio Gramsci. In 1923, in Germany, a group of Marxists founded an institute devoted to making the transition, the Institute of Social Research (later known as the Frankfurt School). One of its founders, George Lukacs, stated its purpose as answering the question, “Who shall save us from Western Civilisation?” The Frankfurt School gained profound influence in European and American universities after many of its leading lights fled and spread all over Europe and even to the United States in the 1930s to escape National Socialism in Germany. In Western Europe it gained influence in universities from 1945.
The Frankfurt School blended Marx with Freud, and later influences (some Fascist as well as Marxist) added linguistics to create “Critical Theory” and “deconstruction.” These in turn greatly influenced education theory, and through institutions of higher education gave birth to what we now call “Political Correctness.” The lineage is clear, and it is traceable right back to Karl Marx.
2083 identifies four categories of "traitor":
- "Category A traitors," described as "the most influential and highest profile traitors," include political, media and industrial leaders; the book advocates the death penalty for them.
- "Category B traitors" are said to include "cultural Marxist/multiculturalist politicians" along with "journalists, editors, teachers, lecturers, university professors, various school/university board members, publicists, radio commentators, writers of fiction, cartoonists, and artists/celebrities etc." The death penalty is suggested for this group as well, but "punishment can be reduced under certain circumstances."
- "Category C traitors" are less powerful individuals who facilitate groups A and B. 2083 does not avocate execution for these people but states that they are "considered as acceptable indirect casualties in larger operations where WMDs are involved" - an obvious justification for Breivik's atrocities.
- Finally, "Category D traitors" are people who are deemed to be innocent of Breivik's charges (see below) but to have aided guilty parties, and so are considered unworthy of any punishment but still "acceptable indirect casualties."
A lengthy section of 2083 outlines the crimes which Breivik has levelled against the "cultural Marxists":
Charge 1 includes "Aiding and abetting to cultural genocide against the indigenous peoples of Europe... According to the 'United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples' the cultural Marxist/multiculturalist elites of Europe (all category A, B and C traitors) are committing cultural genocide against the Indigenous Peoples of Europe" and "Aiding and abetting a foreign invasion/colonisation of Europe by allowing systematical Islamic demographic warfare."
Charge 2 includes "Contributing to deliberately disallow Europe’s indigenous peoples from exercising the right to resist the Islamic invasion/colonisation through demographic warfare" and "creating and/or maintaining the Marxist social structures which has lead to an average fertility rate of less than 1.5 among the indigenous Europeans."
Charge 3 includes the accusation of "systematically importing Muslim voters... for the purpose of increasing and/or growing voter base," while Charge 4 covers "Contributing to deliberately exposing and thus endangering Europe’s indigenous peoples to individuals and groups who exercise a fascist, violent, discriminating and genocidal political ideology known as Islam."
Charge 5 works on the basis that any crimes committed by a Muslim in Western Europe can ultimately be blamed on the Government for alowing the Muslim to live in the country in the first place; its accusations include "Contributing to allowing the rape of aprox 1,1 million European women... Ratio is an average 200 rapes per 100 000 Muslims annually."
Charge 6 is a long denunciation of "war crimes against Croats but especially Serbs before, during and after the 1999 NATO bombings," while Charge 7 condemns the promotion of multiculturalism and media coverage of subjects which Breivik apparently deems to be related, such as "obsession with global warming instead of focusing on overpopulation."
After this comes a statement offering "a full pardon to the Western European multiculturalist regimes, the MA 100 alliance (political parties) and all category A and B individual traitors if they capitulate to our military forces by January 1st, 2020."
 Views on Islam
Unbelievably, despite often being described as "anti-Islam," Breivik is more accurately described as being against Islam in Europe, and has even spoken in terms which could be described as ambivalent about cooperating with Islamic extremists:
|An alliance with the Jihadists might prove beneficial to both parties but will simply be too dangerous (and might prove to be ideologically counter-productive). We both share one common goal. They want control over their own countries in the Middle East and we want control of our own countries in Western Europe.|
Although Breivik was initially described by the police as a "Christian fundamentalist," this was far from clear cut. Breivik follows the common white supremacist belief that the chief merit of Christianity is its ability to unite the indigenous peoples of Europe against foreigners, and stated in his manifesto that he sees himself as a "cultural Christian" rather than a "religious Christian":
|A majority of so called agnostics and atheists in Europe are cultural conservative Christians without even knowing it. So what is the difference between cultural Christians and religious Christians? If you have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and God then you are a religious Christian. Myself and many more like me do not necessarily have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and God. We do however believe in Christianity as a cultural, social, identity and moral platform. This makes us Christian.|
Elsewhere in his manifesto he states that "I guess I will find out… If there is a God I will be allowed to enter heaven as all other martyrs for the Church in the past." This passage has been pointed to as evidence that he is an agnostic, not a Christian fundamentalist.
Breivik was a Freemason at the time of his attacks. He was subsequently removed from the order, as a statement on the Norwegian Order of Freemasons' website announced:
|I am appalled by the horrible atrocity that was committed in the government district and at the Utøya island, says the Sovereign Grand Master of the Norwegian Order of Freemasons, Ivar A. Skar.
We are filled with mourning and compassion for those who have been affected and their relatives. It has appeared in the media that the accused has been a member of the Norwegian Order of Freemasons. He has now been excluded - the exclusion immediately effective. The exclusion reflects that the acts he is accused of having carried out, and the values that appear to have motivated them, are completely incompatible with what we stand for as an Order.
We build our activity on Christian and humanistic values and want our members to contribute to the promotion of charity, peace and goodness among all people. The police will of course get all the help and information we can give to contribute to the investigation.
Breivik's manifesto states that the "Knights Templar are not in any way Nazi sympathizers. Preserving your tribe, cultural and demographical, is a basic human right and has nothing to do with 'white supremacy'." It claims that the Nazi party "was a left wing organisation, they hated Christendom, capitalism and propagated a strict definition of socialism. So do not make the mistake of allowing the Marxists/multiculturalists to label you as a Nazi." The identification of the Nazis as left-wing contradicts a later passage referring to them as "right wing extremists," possibly a result of the book's joint authorship.
2083 also claims that "I remain a staunch anti-Nazi and I blame NSDAP for the situation we are in... If the NSDAP had been isolationistic instead of imperialistic (expansionist) and just deported the Jews (to a liberated and Muslim free Zion) instead of massacring them, the anti-European hate ideology known as multiculturalism would have never been institutionalized in Western Europe, because the Marxists would never have been so radicalized to begin with."
2083 is weirdly ambivalent on the subject of Jews, as statements such as this indicate:
|There is no Jewish problem in Western Europe (with the exception of the UK and France) as we only have 1 million in Western Europe, whereas 800 000 out of these 1 million live in France and the UK. The US on the other hand, with more than 6 million Jews (600% more than Europe) actually has a considerable Jewish problem. But please learn the difference between a nation-wrecking multiculturalist Jew and a conservative Jew. Don’t make the same mistake that NSDAP did. Never target a Jew because he is a Jew, but rather because he is a category A or B traitor. And don’t forget that the bulk of the category A and B traitors
are Christian Europeans. 90% of the category A and B traitors in my own country, Norway, are Nordic, Christian category A and B traitors.
Breivik viewed feminism as the height of political correctness and stated that "the feminisation of European culture is nearly completed." We would be pleased to know what he thinks of women living in the Middle East.
Breivik endorsed anti-environmentalism in his tract, especially the global warming conspiracy theory that global warming is a cover for "eco-Marxism." 2083 also provides a link to a Christopher Monckton video.
 Existence of the Knights Templar
According to Breivik, his Knights Templar organisation was founded in London in 2002. He mentions "one of the initial facilitators, a Serbian Crusader Commander and war hero" and claims to have been mentored by a member codenamed "Richard" (he identifies his own codename as "Sigurd"). Breivik stated that he believes himself to be the youngest member.  During his trial he insisted that he was "a military commander in the Norwegian resistance movement and Knights Templar Norway."
There has been some speculation as to whether this group actually exists or is merely a figment of Breivik's imagination. Psychiatrist Dr. Lars Davidsson of the Angloeuropean Clinic in London, commented that "this organisation could exist - even if it is unlikely. My diagnosis is that he is a narcissistic psychopath. On his trip to England, more likely he was sitting in a pub, on his own, complaining to anyone who'd listen about foreigners. And he could have built this up, in his mind, into something more important."
 Relation with other nationalist groups
2083 is critical of the English Defence League but sees potential in it. The book argues that "Instead of condemning and rejecting organisations like EDL it is essential that conservative intellectuals contribute to help them on the right ideological path. And to ensure that they continue to reject criminal, racist and totalitarian doctrines."
"I have on some occasions had discussions with SIOE [Stop the Islamisation of Europe] and EDL and recommended them to use certain strategies," wrote Breivik two years before his attacks. "The tactics of the EDL are now to 'lure' an overreaction from the Jihad Youth/Extreme-Marxists, something they have succeeded in doing several times already."
A section towards the end of the Breivik's manifesto lists various nationalist groups from across Western Europe; not all of which are extremist (for example, the Royal British Legion and Campaign for an English Parliament are listed).
 The blame game
Breivik has become a figurehead for right-wing extremism, and in the eyes of some commentators, a figurehead for critics of Islam. For example, during Breivik's trial the British anti-fascist organisation Hope not Hate issued a "Counter-Jihad report" listing hundreds of organisations and individuals who are anti-Islam, pro-nationalism (and/or pro-Christianity); the spectre of Breivik is repeatedly invoked. Commentators have criticised elements of the left for using Breivik's murders as a stick with which to beat the right. The right-wing wacko Melanie Phillips wrote, "As soon as the atrocity happened, people on the Left saw a heaven-sent opportunity to smear mainstream conservative thinkers... I have become a principal target of this incendiary witch-hunt."
It should be noted, however, that it is not merely lefties who have indulged in this behaviour. The nationalist website We Are The English responded to Breivik's atrocities by posting a short article on its Facebook page pinning the blame ultimately on politicians who push mass immigration and multiculturalism; a similar tack was taken by Lee Ingram. Some conspiracy theorists have cut out the middleman and surmised that Breivik himself is a left-winger, committing a government-backed false flag operation to discredit the right - see conspiracy theories surrounding the Oslo attacks for more on this matter.
 See also
- Norway shooting: Anders Behring Breivik's planning appears meticulous, Ian Stephen, The Telegraph, 24 July 2011
- CNN Wanted a Different Story, John Hickman, Like the Dew, 24 July 2011
- The omnipotence of Al Qaeda and meaninglessness of "Terrorism", Glenn Greenwald, Salon.com, 23 July 2011
- The Norway Murders, Christianity, Darwin, and tolerance, The Panda's Thumb
- Review of 2083 at I Read Odd Books: Part I, Part II, Part III, Part IV
- ↑ 2083: A European Declaration of Independence, page 1156
- ↑ Norway: Anders Behring Breivik claims 'two more cells', BBC News, 25 July 2011
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Norway killer admits to massacre in first public statement, Reuters, 14 November 2011
- ↑ That's, like, bigger than well-known doorstops like Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
- ↑ 2083: A European Declaration of Independence, page 5
- ↑ 2083: A European Declaration of Independence, page 1478-9
- ↑ Oslo Suspect Cultivated Parallel Life to Disguise ‘Martyrdom Operation’, The New York Times, 24 July 2011
- ↑ Killings in Norway Spotlight Anti-Muslim Thought in the U.S.
- ↑ "Norway attacks: Anders Behring Breivik appears insane, says his lawyer.", The Guardian, 26 July 2011
- ↑ "Norway massacre: Breivik declared insane", BBC News, 29 November 2011.
- ↑ "Norway's mass killer Breivik declared sane", 10 April 2012.
- ↑ "Anders Behring Breivik: Norway court finds him sane", 24 August 2012.
- ↑ Pages 4-5 of 2083 mention "Western Europe’s cultural relativist elites (cultural relativism=cultural Marxism)"; page 5 also mentions "the political doctrines known as multiculturalism/cultural Marxism/cultural relativism."
- ↑ 2083: A European Declaration of Independence, page 5
- ↑ Page 12: "Most Europeans look back on the 1950s as a good time. Our homes were safe, to the point where many people did not bother to lock their doors. Public schools were generally excellent, and their problems were things like talking in class and running in the halls. Most men treated women like ladies, and most ladies devoted their time and effort to making good homes, rearing their children well and helping their communities through volunteer work. Children grew up in two–parent households, and the mother was there to meet the child when he came home from school. Entertainment was something the whole family could enjoy. What happened? If a man of the 1950s were suddenly introduced into Western Europe in the 2000s, he would hardly recognise it as the same country."
- ↑ 2083: A European Declaration of Independence, page 12
- ↑ 2083: A European Declaration of Independence, page 13
- ↑ 2083: A European Declaration of Independence, pages 930-1
- ↑ 2083: A European Declaration of Independence, pages 771-85
- ↑ Anders Beivik imagined cautious alliance with Jihadists: “We both share one common goal”, "Joseph W", Harry's Place blog, 23 July 2011
- ↑ Norway attacks: profile of suspect Anders Behring Breivik, The Telegraph, 23 July 2011
- ↑ Is Anders Breivik a European Fundamentalist?, Ben Stevens, Huffington Post, 26 July 2011
- ↑ Anders Breivik is not a Christian fundamentalist, "Joseph W", Harry's Place, 27 July 2011
- ↑ http://www.frimurer.no/ordenen/15-aktuelt/1192-the-norwegian-order-of-freemasons-expressing-compassion-and-care
- ↑ 25.0 25.1 2083: A European Declaration of Independence, page 1435
- ↑ Anders Breivik and the Jews, "Joseph W", Harry's Place, 25 July 2011
- ↑ 2083: A European Declaration of Independence, page 1237
- ↑ 2083: A European Declaration of Independence, pages 1163-4
- ↑ On Breivik and Feminism, Chronicle of Higher Education
- ↑ The Breivik Manifesto and the Monckton Connection, Crikey
- ↑ 2083: A European Declaration of Independence, page 1414
- ↑ "Knights Templar hijacked", Fortean Times, issue 281, pp. 22-25
- ↑ 2083: A European Declaration of Independence, page 1241
- ↑ That means they would have to pull an Above Top Secret: reject themselves.
- ↑ Norway attacks: Utøya gunman boasted of links to UK far right, The Guardian, 23 July 2011
- ↑ 2083: A European Declaration of Independence, page 1246
- ↑ http://www.hopenothate.org.uk/counter-jihad/
- ↑ http://frontpagemag.com/2012/04/20/the-scandalous-lies-of-hope-not-hate/
- ↑ http://happypropagandist.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/hope-not-hate-releases-counter-jihad.html
- ↑ http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2020924/Anders-Behring-Breivik-Liberals-hell-bent-bullying-silence.html
- ↑ https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150263978048213&set=a.176062278212.124483.174919193212&type=1img
- ↑ http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/File:Libreivik.jpg