|Some dare call it|
|What THEY don't want|
you to know!
“”I don't consider myself to be a genius at chess. I consider myself more to be a genius who just happens to play chess. You understand? So I could be doing any number of other things.
Grandmaster Bobby Fischer (1943-2008) was one of the most brilliant chess players to ever live. Unfortunately, as he aged he descended into the sort of lunacy that deserves its own typesetting. In the 1960's he was a somewhat eccentric "chess kid". In the 1970's his eccentricity grew, but was still within reasonable levels. In the 1980's Fischer disappeared from public view; he re-emerged in 1992 to play a rematch against Boris Spassky being pretty crazy, among other things spitting on a U.S. executive order during a press conference. He disappeared from public view after the Spassky matches until 2004, when he was arrested in Japan, at which point he had truly descended into full-blown no-stops utter batshit craziness and was almost continuously ranting about Jewish and American conspiracy theories against him. Not all people get wiser as the years ago by, some just get crazier.
 Chess career
A child prodigy, Fischer played a game known as the "Game of the Century" in 1956, at the age of 13. Bobby Fischer was the World Chess Champion in 1972 against Boris Spassky and was the only American to win the World Championship. He was also a controversial player, notably refusing to defend his title in 1975 after a dispute with FIDE. In 1992, he was set for a rematch with Spassky in Yugoslavia. He spat on an executive order that prohibited him from participating in the match, stating "This is my reply." He defied the order and played the match anyway.
 The crazy years
“”Most of us think with in relatively narrow boundaries, but an occasional individual manages to get outside of the box those are the people who make new discoveries, those are the creative people. But occasionally it is difficult to get back in to the box.
His genius and his illness are joined at the hip. I don't think that Bobby could have been as creative, as extraordinary, without being extraordinary in other aspects, and that aspect, we call a disease.
Fischer praised Hitler's Mein Kampf, and thanked Osama bin Laden for 9/11. On 9/11, he remarked, "This is all wonderful news, it's time for the fuckin' U.S. to get their heads kicked in!" He was a Holocaust denier and would go on anti-Semitic rants. He believed all Jews were filthy liars and wanted to take over the world. He even contended that the U.S. was controlled by the Jews, and that the U.S. government was a 'puppet', a "plaything for the Jews." He continued to refer to himself as the World Chess Champion, despite the fact that he lost the title by refusing to defend his title in 1975. Dick Schaap, who Bobby considered something of a father figure, later said that Fischer "Doesn't have a sane bone in his body." Fisher later said that Schaap "acted like a typical Jewish Snake."
His rabid anti-semitism is all the more remarkable since his mother and likely his biological father were Jewish, although Bobby didn't consider himself Jewish, and even wrote to Encyclopedia Judaica requesting his name be removed. Some have speculated that Fischer's strong anti-Semitism was rooted in his bad relationship with his mother.
 A not-so-beautiful mind
In Pawn Sacrifice (2014), Fisher is played by Toby Maguire as he prepares to square off against Spassky. Liev Schreiber plays
the Green Goblin Maguire’s opponent.
- ↑ Bobby Fisher against the world, at about 1:27:00
- ↑ http://www.chess.com/article/view/the-all-time-world-chess-champion-bracket-finals
- ↑ http://en.chessbase.com/post/the-game-that-shook-the-world
- ↑ https://www.fide.com/component/content/article/3-news/1571-62-legendary-world-champion-bobby-fischer-died-in-iceland.html
- ↑ Though Wilhelm Steinitz was a US resident during his championship and became a US citizen shortly thereafter.
- ↑ http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1993-03-07/features/9301130990_1_chess-star-bobby-fischer-checkmated
- ↑ Bobby Fisher against the world, at about 1:25:00
- ↑ http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/1364118/Bobby-Fischer-speaks-out-to-applaud-Trade-Centre-attacks.html
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_11Cdxvtfo
- ↑ http://everything2.com/title/Bizarre+anti-Semitic+interview+with+Bobby+Fischer
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oO0_1oS_oU
- ↑ http://chessforallages.blogspot.com/2012/11/not-sane-bone-in-his-body.html
- ↑ Bobby Fischer against the world, at about 1:24:00
- ↑ http://www.jewornotjew.com/profile.jsp?ID=18
- ↑ Bobby Fisher against the world