James Danforth "Dan" "Danny-boy" "Potatoe" "No Jack Kennedy" Quayle was the Vice-President for the United States during the George H. W. Bush Presidency. He is also a professional dumbass and the 20th century's greatest gift to the art of satire. He may have also been a Time Lord.
The chief reason for his inclusion on RationalWiki is that despite his near-heroic level of dumbassery, given the choice, most people would have given anything to have him back as Vice-President over George W. Bush's VP, Dick Cheney, as stupid is better than evil, although some claim there isn't really a difference. Many were convinced that if the Republicans had won the Presidency in 2008, America would have basically had Dan Quayle on estrogen as the VP.
- "What a waste it is to lose one's mind. Or not to have a mind is being very wasteful. How true that is." - Speaking before the United Negro College Fund, 9 May 1989
- "The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation's history. No, not in this nation, but in World War 2. I mean we all lived in this century. I didn't live in this century, but in this century's history." - 15 September 1988
- "Hawaii has always been a very pivotal role in the Pacific. It is in the Pacific. It is a part of the United States that is an island that is right here." - 25 April 1989
- "Mars is essentially in the same orbit...Mars is somewhat the same distance from the Sun, which is very important. We have seen pictures where there are canals, we believe, and water. If there is water, that means there is oxygen. If oxygen, that means we can breathe." - 11 August 1989
- "Verbosity leads to unclear, inarticulate things." - 30 October 1988
- "Don't forget about the importance of the family. It begins with the family. We're not going to redefine the family. Everybody knows the definition of the family. [pause] A child. [pause] A mother. [pause] A father. There are other arrangements of the family, but that is a family and family values." - Speaking to Hispanic Job Corps students in Amarillo, Texas.
- "Potato. P-O-T-A-T-O-E." - 15 June 1992, at a spelling bee