"Democratically elected" is a code phrase used in political discussions. If a person says something along the lines of:
“”Politician X was democratically elected.
one can usually interpret it as:
“”Politician X is in desperate need of a swift kick in the pants, but I support him/her politically, so I'm going to gloss over minor details like civil rights abuses and harp on the point that he/she came to power through the ballot-box.
A second interpretation (usually with Hitler) is as a criticism of democracy; namely that even with the democratic process, complete arse-biscuits can still become leaders.
 Examples of democratically elected leaders
- Maximilien Robespierre, guillotine-happy French revolutionary
- Louis-Napoléon Bonaparte (AKA Napoleon III)
- François "Papa Doc" Duvalier (Haiti)
- Ferdinand Marcos (Philippines)
- Alberto Fujimori (Peru)
- Alexander Lukashenko (Belarus)
- Hugo Chávez (Venezuela)
- George W. Bush, if one accepts the legitimacy of Florida's election returns
- George W. Bush again
 Examples of leaders who were not democratically elected
- Adolf Hitler is commonly said to have been "elected," but he was actually appointed via backroom deals. However, under the Weimar system this was a legitimate outcome.
- Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, who brought secularism to Turkey
- Alexander Dubček, leader of the Prague Spring
- Juan Carlos I of Spain, who led the Spanish transition from fascism to democracy
- Mikhail Gorbachev
George W. Bush
The term has been used a great deal when defending Hugo Chávez's government. Now, of course, with Chávez closing down opposition television stations, ruling by decree, throwing tear-gas at protesters, and abolishing term limits, we are not hearing it quite so much anymore; presumably the people who said it are off somewhere kicking themselves.
- ↑ http://www.huppi.com/kangaroo/L-hitlerdemo.htm
- ↑ http://www.globalwomenstrike.net/English/Chavezprevented.htm
- ↑ http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1P3-55412949.html
- ↑ http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=132x627157
- ↑ http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=2796
- ↑ http://www.medialens.org/alerts/06/060619_the_system_works.php
- ↑ http://www.projo.com/opinion/contributors/content/CT_keller20_10-20-07_8176911.25c7a3.html
- ↑ http://rationalwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Hugo_Ch%C3%A1vez&oldid=75065