|Someone is wrong on|
“”Republicans and Conservatives could gain support from millions of Muslims in this country by joining forces to combat the promotion of immorality, which is fostered in our nation's schools and taught in all too many liberal universities. Combating liberals could literally save our country from Islamic radicals who want to destroy us because of the ideologies promoted by liberal democrats.
|—No seriously, they actually believe this.|
Free Republic is a wingnut message board focusing primarily on United States politics. It is particularly known for its regular posters (generally known as freepers, and not to be confused with readers of the Detroit Free Press newspaper), who have a reputation for being bigoted, pseudoconservative, uninformed loudmouths somewhat to the right of Fox News. Free Republic is considered, from a rationalist perspective, to be just about as reliable a news source as WorldNetDaily, and a great deal battier.
In 1998, the Los Angeles Times and The Washington Post sued Free Republic for alleged copyright infringement; the forum allowed users to re-post the full text of the newspapers' articles regardless of copyright permission. The next year, federal judge Margaret M. Morrow (who was appointed by the Freepers' much-hated Bill Clinton!) ordered Free Republic to stop publishing full-text copies of newspaper articles and rejected the website's fair use defense. This case was L.A. Times v. Free Republic.
In 2007, members of the site stalked Graeme Frost after the 12-year-old made a radio address on behalf of the Democratic Party asking President George W. Bush not to cut SCHIP, a children's health insurance program.
Free Republic encountered two more controversies in 2009. In response to a photo depicting President Barack Obama's daughter Malia wearing a peace sign T-shirt, Freepers began talking trash such as calling Malia a "street whore" and even speculated when she'd get her first abortion. Also, after James von Brunn killed a security guard at the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum, media reported that von Brunn posted birther screeds on Free Republic. Not shocking.
 See also
- This is where they engage in their wingnuttery
- Freep Impact: A collection of the Freep comments' cream of the crop, so you don't have to tread into the asylum.
- ↑ http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2479738/posts
- ↑ JD Hayworth Paid More than $101,000 by Indicted Lobbyist Jack Abramoff
- ↑ Miller, Greg. "Judge Rejects 'Fair Use' of News Protection." Los Angeles Times: November 9, 1999.
- ↑ Original complaint
- ↑ "Graeme Frost: What Would You Do If This Was Snooping Around Your House? (Updated)" Crooks and Liars: October 8, 2007.
- ↑ Freepers refuse to apologize for calling Malia Obama 'a typical street whore'
- ↑ Parry, Chris. "Conservative Free Republic blog in free speech flap after racial slurs directed at Obama children." Vancouver Sun: July 14, 2009.
- ↑ Hesse, Monica. "Notoriety's Missing Links." The Washington Post: June 12, 2009.