Arkansas makes no damn sense. Why would a state be named after another state, by appending a prefix no-one understands? And then pronouncing it according to no known rules of any existing Human language?
Its biggest city is called "little."
The US state of Arkansas is part of the Bible Belt, and has its fair share of unpleasant laws, events and people to go with that. This is where the Little Rock Nine tried to go to school, and only succeeded after Dwight Eisenhower intervened militarily.
Oklahomans, however, throng there in droves, or drive there in thongs, to enjoy the beautiful, scenic tourist attractions. However, two state governors in the last twenty years have fled the state to seek asylum in Washington, DC, so maybe they know something the Okies don't.
And what the heck is "Texarkana?" Seriously, do you ever hear people talk about "Verhampachusetts" or "Calorevada?" (On the plus side, when the people in Atlanta are thirsty, they can always send someone there to pick up the beer.)
One theory holds that Arkansas was formed by rebel pirates (possibly Pastafarians) from Kansas. The original name being: the Republic of Arrrr'Kansas.
The Senate of Arkansas found it necessary to legislate the possessive apostrophe in 2007. They also passed a law that states that the Arkansas River can rise no higher than the Main Street bridge in Little Rock.
Bill Clinton was born in Hope, Arkansas. He went on to become Governor of Arkansas, and later President of the U.S., after having not had sexual relations with many of the state's women. Depending on what the meaning of "is" is, that is.
In 1971, Frederick W. Smith founded a logistics services company in Little Rock, Arkansas, but had to move to Memphis, Tennessee two years later due to a lack of support from officials at Little Rock National Airport and their refusal to provide facilities for him. That company is now known as FedEx Corporation. D'oh!
Little Rock, Arkansas is the number one consumer of Velveeta cheese in the world (per capita).
Famous Arkansasans (Arkansawyers? Arkansasians? Kansans of the Ark?)
- Maya Angelou (poet, autobiographtrix)
- Jim Bowie (knife maker)
- Glen Campbell (lonely lineman)
- Johnny Cash (man in black)
- Wesley Clark (presidential hopeful 2004)
- William Jefferson Clinton (presidential hopeful 1992, 1996)
- Al Green (some musician guy)
- John Grisham (tree killer)
- Mike Huckabee (presidential hopeful, 2008)
- Scott Joplin (King of Ragtime music)
- Alan Ladd (the prime reason George Lucas managed to produce Star Wars)
- Sonny Liston (box fighter)
- Douglas MacArthur (general fascist fighter and loser of North Korea)
- Billy Bob Thornton (actor)
- Taylor Wilson (Secretly making nukes)
Less famous ones
- McLean v. Arkansas Board of Education
- Text of Arkansas Balanced Treatment for Creation-Science and Evolution-Science Act
Them thar footnotes fur awl yew callege boys
- Arkansas: Second poorest state in the nation, ABC
- Child Poverty Rate in Arkansas is Second-Highest in the Nation, Winthrop Rockefeller Foundation
- Arkansas judge strikes down state ban on same-sex marriage, Reuters
- Arkansas's's's's's's's's Apostrophe Act
- What Not to Do in Arkansas, About.com
- Dumb Laws in Arkansas, dumblaws.com
|Articles about States of the United States|
|Northeastern United States states:||Connecticut • Delaware • Maine • Maryland • Massachusetts • New Hampshire • New Jersey • New York • Pennsylvania • Rhode Island • Vermont •|
|Southern United States states:||Alabama • Florida • Georgia • Kentucky • Louisiana • Mississippi • North Carolina • Oklahoma • South Carolina • Tennessee • Texas • Virginia • West Virginia •|
|Midwestern United States states:||Illinois • Indiana • Iowa • Kansas • Michigan • Minnesota • Missouri • Nebraska • North Dakota • Ohio • South Dakota • Wisconsin •|
|Western United States states:||Alaska • Arizona • California • Colorado • Hawaii • Idaho • Montana • Nevada • New Mexico • Oregon • Utah • Washington • Wyoming •|
|United States territories:||Guam • Puerto Rico • Washington, D.C. •|
|Other:||Bible Belt • Jesusland • Weird states •|