|Hail to the Chief?|
|Persons of interest|
"Going Galt" is a right-wing blog catchphrase inspired by the tax policy pushed by President Barack Obama. The idea is that having to pay 4.9% more in taxes on the part of their income that exceeds $250,000 per year constitutes such an intolerable burden that they should deliberately cut back on their business to lower their income to $249,999 per year, or flee the U.S. altogether.
It is largely promoted by idiots who can't do math, and by scaremongers trying to take advantage of idiots who can't do math.
 Who is John Galt?
John Galt[wp] was a notable Scottish novelist and biographer of Byron, and a figure in 19th century Canadian history. Now that's the real answer.
As the name implies, this is inspired by the character of John Galt, the "hero" of Ayn Rand's Objectivist doorstopper, Atlas Shrugged, who destroys civilization to avoid paying taxes. They apparently think this is a good idea, and hope to follow in his footsteps.
 How it usually ends up
Eric Dondero, a man deemed too crazy for the Ron Paul campaign, has proposed going Galt, going so far as to recommend people should quit their jobs if they work for a Democratic voter. So much for capitalism, eh?
In practice, though, if anyone has actually gone Galt, it's had no measurable effect. As a result, the usual response to a Galt-going threat is "so go already." In 2013, however, a Galt's Gulch in Chile was announced by anarcho-capitalist Jeff Berwick. You, too, can reserve a spot today! (Unless you're a dirty collectivist, that is.)
 Gone Galt?
A number of US companies and individuals are already based abroad, or have bank accounts in the Cayman Islands, Switzerland etc. Most of these are megarich people, not well-off wannabes. The results of dozens of corporations gone Galt can be seen in the US economy today.
On a happier note, some survivalists who have disappeared into the wilds have done civilized society a great favor. Enjoy the undercooked bear burger folks!
 See also
- The Citadel
- Men Going Their Own Way, for the MRA version of this concept.
- Rapture, for the supernatural woo version of this concept. Not to be confused with the city in Bioshock, a better supernatural woo version of this concept.
- Tax protester
- We Surround Them
- Ask Dr. Helen: Is It Time to ‘Go John Galt’?
- Who Is John Galt? We don't know!
- Atlas Pouted
- You're in the high-rent district.
- Where the Rawlsian Rubber meets the Randian Road.
- Going Galt
- ↑ Hicks, J. Brad. "Atlas Shrugged 2: Shrug Harder". The Infamous Brad. May 25, 2008. LiveJournal. http://bradhicks.livejournal.com/393124.html.
- ↑ Ayn Rand also had an organization of devoted followers.
- ↑ http://web.archive.org/web/20130117002633/http://www.libertarianrepublican.net/2012/11/the-end-of-liberty-in-america-only.html
- ↑ "Ayn Rand's Vision of Galt's Gulch Has Become Reality as of Today"