High Frequency Active Auroral Research Program
|Some dare call it|
|What THEY don't want|
you to know!
The High Frequency Active Auroral Research Program (HAARP) is a
musical instrument dating back atleast 5500 years scientific research program designed to control the weather study the ionosphere of the Earth and its effects on communication.
HAARP is essentially a large upper Medium Frequency to High Frequency radio wave generator in Alaska funded by the Department of Defense in conjunction with the University of Alaska Fairbanks (UAF). As of August 2015, UAF took over ownership of the facility.
It was started in 1993 and ran until May 2013. The Air Force expressed plans to dismantle the facility unless it can locate an alternate source of funding.
Some non-scientists criticized HAARP, since they worried that a similar device using more energy could be used as a weapon and that the true purpose of the experiment has not been fully revealed. It has also been criticized as a boondoggle costing many times more than its initial budget.
But mostly, HAARP is a popular target for conspiracy theorists who believe that ELFs can be used for mind control and weather control — it's even been blamed for the 2008 Chinese, 2010 Haitian, March 2011 Japanese earthquakes and 2014 southeast Europe floods.
When, in December 2012, the famous (and famously wrong) pseudoscientist Richard Hoagland took his
joke Accutron experiment to Chichen Itza, Mexico, he reported that he had detected that HAARP was being used to prevent the planet from tipping over. That was just before he was ejected from the place by site security — an event that was entertainingly captured on video.
Its attraction to conspiracists, its overextended budget and its sweeping scope make HAARP very similar to the Large Hadron Collider.
 Conspiracy Theories
Every single natural disaster occurred because of HAARP. No exceptions. Citing disasters that happened before HAARP existed usually leads to claims that HAARP has been going much, much longer than the sheeple know. HAARP even gets connected to Biblical prophecy of the End Times, signaled by increasing disasters.
 Allegations of HAARP creating/steering/strengthening "Frankenstorm" Sandy
The primary reason this claim is silly is because HAARP's maximum transmission power of 3.6 megawatts is just too little energy to heat the quantity of ocean water required to generate or manipulate a tropical cyclone. It takes many coinciding factors for a tropical storm to develop and one of those factors is a seawater temperature in excess of 26.5° C down to a depth of at least 50 meters. How long would it take HAARP to heat the seawater in the "target area" by just 1° C?
- The tropical depression that would evolve into Sandy developed 7500 km from HAARP.
- The most powerful instrument at HAARP has a gain of 31 dB. That antenna gain corresponds to a beam diameter of 6.46°.
- From HAARP to the tropical depression the beam would spread out to a diameter of 845 km.
- That is assuming the beam hits perpendicular to the surface. In reality since the signal would have to be refracted by the ionosphere multiple times to reach this target area the beam would strike the surface at an acute angle and the beam footprint would be an elongated ellipse. But for the purpose of this boondoggle assume it hits perpendicular to the surface.
- HAARP's antennae are aimed straight up but the beams can be offset up to 30° from the vertical axis. The radio waves must rely on ionospheric refraction and ground reflection to reach a target area beyond the horizon. The higher the ionospheric region above the Earth, the fewer the number of refractions and reflections necessary to reach an area. Being extremely generous by assuming the F2 ionospheric layer is always at its maximum altitude of 800 km, this 30° off-the-vertical transmission angle would give a maximum ionospheric hop distance of 924 km.
- It would take nine ionospheric hops, six ground bounces, and two ocean bounces for the signal from HAARP to reach the target area. Typically each ionospheric hop decreases the signal by 12 dB, each ground bounce decreases the signal by 6 dB, and each ocean bounce decreases the signal by 1 dB. That is a total decrease in signal by 146 dB (which translates to only 1/400,000,000,000,000th of the transmitted signal reaching the target area.
- Seawater has a specific heat capacity of 3.993 J·g-1·K-1.
- A cubic meter of seawater has a mass of 1,025,000 grams.
Multiplying the volume of seawater (845 km diameter x 50 meter depth) by the density of seawater and by the amount of energy required to heat it and dividing by HAARP's transmission power and adjusting for the losses from ionospheric hops and surface bounces means it would take 420 quintillion years (4.2×1020 years) to heat the seawater in the target area by just 1° C. That is 30 billion times the age of the Universe. That is assuming all the water remains in the same area, and doesn't move out of the target area, and doesn't change temperature for other reasons.
 Claims of symptoms
Common symptoms claimed:
- Muscle aches
- Joint aches
- High pitched ringing inside the head
- Clicking in the head
 In the news
In August 2016, UAF held an open house. According to UAF spokesperson Sue Mitchell, "We hope that people will be able to see the actual science of it… We hope to show people that it is not capable of mind control and not capable of weather control and all the other things it's been accused of."
In November 2016, two Georgia men, Michael Mancil and James Dryden Jr., were accused of arming themselves with "AR-15 military-style assault rifles, four Glock hand guns, a rifle and more than 2,000 rounds of ammunition" in an alleged plot to destroy the HAARP facility. The two men reportedly believed that the facility "manipulates the weather, controls minds and traps souls."
- See the Wikipedia article on High Frequency Active Auroral Research Program.
- Official website (at the University of Alaska)
- HAARP conspiracy homepage
- HAARP Myths, episode #122 of Skeptoid
 See also
- ↑ Under new management, Alaska's HAARP facility open for business again by Ned Rozell (6 September 2015) Alaska Dispatch News.
- ↑ HAARP Research Facility To Shut Down Ellen Lockyer, KSKA — Anchorage, April 11, 2014
- ↑ Proof Hurricane Sandy track was caused by HAARP
- ↑ NOAA Hurricane Research Division
- ↑ Discussion No 1 for Tropical Depression EIGHTEEN that would become hurricane Sandy
- ↑ HAARP technical specifications
- ↑ Ionospheric path-loss calculation
- ↑ HF skywave communication section 4.7 Skip Distance
- ↑ Properties of seawater
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZGnum-8nQo Look in the description for most of the symptoms claimed
- ↑ HAARP's new owner holds open house to prove facility 'is not capable of mind control' by Yereth Rosen (Updated: August 25 Published August 24, 2016) Alaska Dispatch News.
- ↑ HAARP Open House
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 Georgia Men Believed Alaska Facility Controlled Weather, Trapped Souls: Two Georgia men accused of plot to attack a scientific research facility in Alaska November 02, 2016. Southern Poverty Law Center