Invisible Children has attracted notice for its funding from homophobic and creationist groups, its disinclination to reveal its financial affairs, and the surprisingly low amount of its income spent on actual charitable work: just under a third, with the rest going to hotels, expenses, filmmaking and the high salaries of its leaders. Unfortunately, this is fairly typical of many charity organisations.
In tastelessly hilarious news, shortly after the release of the Kony 2012, the leading narrator and director of the documentary, Jason Russell, was seen having a severe mental breakdown in public due to extreme sleep deprivation and dehydration. His breakdown, which involved publicly masturbating and erratically talking to himself whilst naked, was filmed on a street corner of San Diego and released as a viral video on the internet. If you watch the video, you will gain an insight into the man's inner fabulousness.
 So what happened?
The original video called for a "Cover the Night" event on April 20, 2012, aiming to plaster Joseph Kony's name in "every city, on every block." Following Russell's wankfest, it failed miserably.
The overall campaign, however, is not over. If Kony is
killed arrested by Invisible Children's goal of December 2012 (unlikely), they'll be in the spotlight again and will probably claim all the credit. If not, then this entire debacle will be taught in university classes on the drawbacks of social networking for years to come.
 2013 revisited
And Kony is alive and well. How about that?
 See also
- Visible Children, the whistleblower blog that took most of the flak from thousands of Invisible Children supporters
- Doctors Without Borders: "The aid industry has just been Biebered"
- The 20 Least Effective Kony "Cover the Night" Signs
- Charlie Brooker does it once again
- ↑ Kony 2012 and Invisible Children are Funded by Antigay Creationist Groups
- ↑ Invisible Children: 'Rich White Kids Paying Rich White Kids To Go On Vacation' and Kony 2012 Video Sends Mixed Message to Young Activists
- ↑ Invisible Children are the wrong NGO to support in the fight against Joseph Kony
- ↑ http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/reading-between-the-headlines/201203/jason-russells-psychosis
- ↑ http://www.tmz.com/2012/03/16/jason-russell-video-naked-meltdown-kony/#.T2PbJ-IpJ0z
- ↑ Hitler's birthday, could've been intentional.
- ↑ Kony 2012's digital message stumbles on the streets
- ↑ Kony 2012: Invisible Children prepares Cover the Night stunt amid criticism, The Grauniad