“”We can have fun while we end genocide!
|—Jason Russell at Liberty University, 2011|
Invisible Children, Inc. is an American organization founded in 2004 that claims to be a charity helping child soldiers in the Third World. It has come to prominence through the viral marketing of its film Kony 2012, which aims to create a mass movement against Joseph Kony's Lord's Resistance Army in Uganda, even though the LRA left the country a few years ago and is now mostly a spent force.
Invisible Children has attracted notice for its funding from creationist and homophobic groups (including support from notorious Ugandan pastor Martin Ssempa), its disinclination to reveal its financial affairs, and the surprisingly low amount of its income spent on actual charitable work: just under a third, with the rest going to hotels, expenses, filmmaking and the high salaries of its leaders. Unfortunately, this is fairly typical of many charity organisations.
In tastelessly hilarious news, shortly after the release of the Kony 2012, the leading narrator and director of the documentary, Jason Russell, was seen having a severe mental breakdown in public due to extreme sleep deprivation and dehydration. His breakdown, which involved publicly masturbating and erratically talking to himself whilst naked, was filmed on a street corner of San Diego and released as a viral video on the internet. If you watch the video, you will gain an insight into the man's inner fabulousness.
 So what happened?
The original video called for a "Cover the Night" event on April 20, 2012, aiming to plaster Joseph Kony's name in "every city, on every block". Following Russell's wankfest, it failed miserably.
The overall campaign, however, is not over. If Kony is
killed arrested by Invisible Children's goal of December 2012 (unlikely), they'll be in the spotlight again and will probably claim all the credit. If not, then this entire debacle will be taught in university classes on the drawbacks of social networking for years to come.
 2013 revisited
And Kony is alive and well. How about that?
 2014 and Kony is still alive, well and free
Nothing from Invisible Children on why, though we'd have to interrupt their two month long vacations to get a response from abroad.
Kony is still alive and well. The debacle has been subsequently taught in some university politics classes on the problems with social media activism.
Go on, guess.
 See also
- Visible Children, the whistleblower blog that took most of the flak from thousands of Invisible Children supporters
- Doctors Without Borders: "The aid industry has just been Biebered"
- Charlie Brooker does it once again
- Two Years After KONY 2012, Has Invisible Children Grown Up? (What do you think.)
- ↑ Guerrilla Marketing, Bloomberg Businessweek
- ↑ Kony 2012 and Invisible Children are Funded by Antigay Creationist Groups, Jezebel
- ↑ Invisible Children and 'Kill the Gays' Pastor Martin Ssempa, Right Wing Watch
- ↑ "Invisible Children: 'Rich White Kids Paying Rich White Kids To Go On Vacation'" and the Better Business Bureau's criticism
- ↑ "Invisible Children are the wrong NGO to support in the fight against Joseph Kony"
- ↑ Jason Russell's Psychosis, Psychology Today
- ↑ Kony 2012 Filmmaker Jason Russell Opens Up About Nude Public Meltdown, ABC News
- ↑ Hitler's birthday, could've been intentional. (Then again, it's also 4/20.)
- ↑ Kony 2012's digital message stumbles on the streets, The Globe and Mail
- ↑ Kony 2012: Invisible Children prepares Cover the Night stunt amid criticism, The Grauniad