“”Can it really be the case that no one knew what he was doing? Did some turn a blind eye to criminality? Did some prefer not to follow up their suspicions because of this criminal's popularity and place in the schedules?
|—Lord Patten, Chairman of the BBC |
Jimmy Savile (1926–2011) or Sir Jimmy Savile  was a British DJ and television presenter whose heyday was in the seventies. After his death it emerged that he was a serial child molester and sexually active
necromancer necrophiliac (eew!).
Shortly after Savile died the BBC news programme Newsnight conducted an investigation into allegations that he was guilty of sexual abuse; the broadcast, due for December 2011, was ultimately shelved.
On 3 October 2012 ITV broadcast a documentary entitled Exposure: The Other Side of Jimmy Savile which interviewed women who said that Savile had molested them as teenagers. On 23 October an episode of the BBC documentary series Panorama was screened that discussed how much was known of Savile's paedophilic tendencies within the BBC during his lifetime.
Following these revelations and others, the Metropolitan Police launched an official investigation into Savile's now undeniable record of child abuse, along with others who colluded in these activities or engaged in similar conduct. Arrests and questionings as part of Operation Yewtree have included Gary Glitter (already a known sex offender), Freddie Starr, Dave Lee Travis, Jim Davidson, Max Clifford and Rolf Harris, as well as BBC staff who worked with Savile and others who have not been publicly named. Glitter, Clifford and, much more shockingly to many, Harris have been convicted and jailed. Travis was, eventually, convicted on one count and received a suspended sentence.
- ↑ Jimmy Savile scandal: Lord Patten 'seeks abuse truth', BBC News, 28 October 2012
- ↑ "Jimmy Savile cannot be stripped of knighthood, say officials", The Guardian, 9 October 2012
- ↑ "Savile told hospital staff he performed sex acts on corpses in Leeds mortuary", The Guardian, 26 June 2014
- ↑ "Jimmy Savile's victims were aged five to 75 at Leeds hospital, inquiry finds", The Guardian, 26 June 2014
- ↑ Sir Jimmy Savile inquiry: BBC responds to staff concerns, BBC News, 12 October 2012
- ↑ "Exposure: The Other Side of Jimmy Savile – review", The Guardian, 4 October 2012
- ↑ "Panorama: Jimmy Savile - What the BBC Knew, BBC One, review", Daily Telegraph, 23 October 2012