|Is it news?|
|The Latest News|
“”Reality has a well-known liberal bias.
Liberal bias is a term which is used in two ways. Firstly, the most obvious and realistic:
- A bias towards liberal political views.
Or as conservative pundits seem to understand it, Liberal Bias is:
- Where an issue is presented in such a way as to downplay valid and/or invalid points of view expressed by conservatives.
- A pejorative to describe any fact that ultra-conservatives don't like.
The first definition is fairly straightforward. It is true that a number of news organizations do have a left-leaning stance, just as a number of news organizations have a right leaning stance; one can't read The Guardian or watch Rachel Maddow without feeling a teeny weeny slight lean to the left but they at least usually acknowledge this fact. However, the second definition is far more interesting as it tells us something about the attitudes of some pundits and commentators to things that they don't agree with.
 From a conservative POV
The Right occupies half of the ideological spectrum and ranges from conservatives like the Republicans all the way to goose-stepping neo-Nazis. What they share is a contempt for the grievances of the Left, some of which survive news coverage filters. A common tactic of many conservatives is to dismiss news stories and facts if they consider them to be written in such a way that they distort the truth and present the story with a liberal slant. Many commentators are quick to use the argument that any story that doesn't fit with their preconceived notions or understanding of an issue must be wrong, and thus it has a liberal (or other) bias and is actually pushing an agenda.
There is a long history of accusing the media of having a 'liberal bias', mainly as a method to discredit critics without having to disprove the point they make (ad hominem). Papers that supported the civil rights movement and labour union movement in the United States were frequently accused of having liberal and/or communist leanings by conservatives. In South Africa, anti-apartheid news outlets were accused of having liberal biases and providing ideological support for the anti-aparthied movement. Unsurprisingly, they were frequently subjected to government censorship.
Organizations that conservatives frequently accuse of being liberal:
- MSNBC 
- CNN 
- The New York Times 
- ABC 
- CBS 
- NBC 
- Associated Press (AP) 
- The Washington Post 
- NPR 
- Anything not owned by Rupert Murdoch
- Some things that ARE owned by Rupert Murdoch
 Other liberally curious things
Conservatives don't stop at just accusing news organizations of having a liberal bias. In fact, if everything had the liberal bias that conservatives claimed, reality itself would surely have some form of liberal bias, either that, or liberals are so devious they have managed to take control over every form of communication to distort the truth.
Here is a short list of places conservatives have found liberal bias:
- Schools and teachers 
- The Bible itself
- Science[citation NOT needed]
- Reality[citation NOT needed]
Conservatives who lambast anything for having a liberal bias most likely genuinely believe what they are saying. It is a staple of the ideology to stand for 'tradition' and the status quo, so it is not surprising many conservatives are firmly entrenched in their personal opinions and beliefs and will employ willful ignorance when confronted with opposing view points. A story that can be firmly based in fact can be accused of having a liberal bias because it goes against a central part of conservative thought and political discourse (evolution or global warming, at least with American conservatives). If a news organization is actually left leaning, or if conservatives suspect it of being left leaning, news stories can't be trusted, and every fact mentioned now comes up for question.
Conservative leaders and others have darker motives though, and attacking critics for having liberal bias is meant to discredit them, and also to discredit what could otherwise be legitimate criticisms.
- ↑ Re-Improved Colbert transcript (now with complete text of Colbert-Thomas video!), Daily Kos, 30 April 2006
- ↑ RationalWiki itself has been accused of leaning to the left more than a man who has had his left leg blown off.
- ↑ http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/31/us/politics/msnbc-as-foxs-liberal-evil-twin.html?_r=0
- ↑ http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/596980/posts
- ↑ http://www.newsrealblog.com/2009/10/21/liberal-bias-is-killing-the-new-york-times/
- ↑ http://doctorbulldog.wordpress.com/2008/09/12/abc-shows-its-bias-in-palin-interview/
- ↑ http://www.mrc.org/Profiles/wallace/welcome.asp
- ↑ http://www.mrc.org/cyberalerts/2007/cyb20070216.asp
- ↑ http://apcheck.blogspot.com/
- ↑ http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2008/11/08/washington-post-admits-bias-towards-obama
- ↑ http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3827/is_200311/ai_n9317144/
- ↑ http://articles.nydailynews.com/2010-04-19/entertainment/27062175_1_comcast-officials-comcast-sportsnet-web-site
- ↑ http://www.newshounds.us/2009/02/01/fox_news_complains_about_googles_liberal_bias.php
- ↑ http://newsbusters.org/node/8355
- ↑ http://www.conservapedia.com/Examples_of_Bias_in_Wikipedia
- ↑ http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/internet/a/snopes_exposed.htm
- ↑ http://www.eagleforum.org/column/2010/mar10/10-03-19.html
- ↑ http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/03/19/bernard-goldberg-dictiona_n_177123.html
- ↑ http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/apr/16/liberal-bias-has-tainted-schools/
- ↑ http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/politician_accuses_apple_of_liberal_political_agenda_in_app_store_approvals/
- ↑ See the Conservative Bible Project
- ↑  (That source is from the New York Times though, so obviously cannot be trusted)