The Magna Carta is a document which outlined the limits of the power of the English throne. It was enacted by King John of England in 1215. While the Magna Carta codified the rights of only a very limited group of people (the nobility of England), its creation is believed to be a pivotal moment in the history of English Common law, and in the development of Western democracy and human rights.
 In the modern world
In January 2012, Republicans in the New Hampshire state legislature proposed a bill mandating that certain legislation reference the Magna Carta. The bill was roundly mockedand ultimately failed.
 See also
- ↑ http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message2011033/pg1 Even Godlike Productions is unimpressed
- ↑ HB-1580
- ↑ "New Hampshire GOP Bill Mandates that Laws find their Origin in 1215 English Magna Carta", Think Progress
- ↑ "America Could Use Some More Magna Carta, Say New Hampshire Lawmakers", New york Magazine
- ↑ "New Hampshire GOP Debates: Moderate Extremes", Colbert Nation
- ↑ Magna Carta bill fails to clear committee, Concord Monitor