Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin is not a very nice man. A former KGB operative who rose to become President, then Prime Minister, then President again (If he truly really left) of Russia, his chief policy appears to be keeping the current self-serving oligarchy in power by whatever means necessary. Much of his rule has been marked by
the flattening of the war in Chechnya, and by assassinations of investigative journalists.
He shows vague signs of competence, so is more popular than you might expect from his not very nice behavior. And Russian people actually have money in their pockets for once which makes him even more popular.
 Political positions
- He signed the Kyoto Protocol.
- He cut taxes.
- He has very strong ties to the oil industry.
- He slipped journalists trying to escape his horrible regime Polonium, then watched as they died slow, agonizing deaths.
- He turned Grozny into smoldering rubble.
- Somehow, he balanced the budget. Wait, WTF, he reduced their national debt by 90%.
- He banned gay pride parades and protests in Moscow for 100 years. Shortly after, he continued to uphold the traditional family by getting divorced.
He knows Judo. He also brings his dog to staff meetings. He captured and tamed a tiger which he kept as a pet. He likes to go fishing without a shirt. It is claimed that he is the richest man in Europe at approximately 53 billion USD, but (officially) he is worth only about 200,000 dollars. When his career in Russian politics is over, he will be the perfect Bond villain. However, that's not about to happen soon.
One example of Mr Putin's desire to become a James Bond villain is his and his defense minister's plans for development of futuristic weapons, including psychotronic weapons. Well...kinda. It's weird.
He loves his pet Chihuahua[wp] so much he let it sit in his president chair from 2008 to 2012 and even pretended that little Dmitri was actually in charge.