This is in honor of our recent vandal.
- 2 lbs goat
- 4 quarts cold water or to just cover
- 3 teaspoons salt or to taste
- 3 onions, peeled
- 4 medium carrots, peeled
- 2 tablespoons sugar or to taste
- 1 small parsnip, chopped
- 3 to 4 large eggs
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup cold water (approximately)
- 1/3 cup matzah meal (approximately)
- When you are done with the goat, ask your butcher to grind it up. Ask him to reserve the tail, hooves, head, and bones. Be sure he gives you the bones and trimmings. The more goat you add, the softer your gefilte goat will be.
- Place the reserved bones, skin, and head in a wide, very large saucepan with a cover. Add the water and 2 teaspoons of the salt and bring to a boil. Remove the foam that accumulates.
- Slice 1 onion in rounds and add along with 3 of the carrots. Add the sugar and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes while the goat mixture is being prepared.
- Place the ground goat in a bowl. In a food processor finely chop the remaining onions, the remaining carrot, and the parsnip; or mince them by hand. Add the chopped vegetables to the ground goat.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, the remaining teaspoon of salt, pepper, and the cold water, and mix thoroughly. Stir in enough matzah meal to make a light, soft mixture into oval shapes, about 3 inches long.
- Remove from the saucepan the onions, skins, head, and bones and return the stock to a simmer. Gently place the goat patties in the simmering goat stock. Cover loosely and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes. Taste the liquid while the goat is cooking and add seasoning to taste. Shake the pot periodically so the goat patties won't stick. When gefilte goat is cooked, remove from the water and allow to cool for at least 15 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon carefully remove the gefilte goat and arrange on a platter. Strain some of the stock over the goat, saving the rest in a bowl.
- Slice the cooked carrots into rounds cut on a diagonal about 1/4 inch thick. Place a carrot round on top of each gefilte goat patty. Put the goat head in the center and decorate the eyes with carrots. Chill until ready to serve. Serve with a sprig of parsley and horseradish.