Recipe:PB and J Rolls
I like to make these fun little treats for lunch. Looking like strange sushi or 김밥 at the table, they get a lot of comments and curiosity. But they're still easy to make, and you can knock out enough for several people in only a few minutes. Recipe was originally suggested by WikiHow, whose "How-to-of-the-Day" is in my RSS feed.
- •A loaf of white bread. One slice yields three or four small rolls.
- •Creamy peanut butter. Chunky if you prefer, although I think creamy works better.
- •Jam or jelly of your preference. I like strawberry.
1. First, trim the crusts off of the bread. Use the crusts for something. If you don't have a compost heap, did you know that you can buy home self-composting units to set up in a corner? Much more useful than throwing them in the trash.
2. Using a cutting board, press the bread down on the counter and squish it as flat as you can. Processed white bread is mostly air and water, so it's pretty easy to flatten the slices out. For a lunch portion, I usually do three slices per person.
3. Spread the bread with a thin layer of peanut butter on one side.
4. Add a thin layer of jam or jelly.
5. Roll the bread up from one side, making a tube.
6. Cut the tube into sections, three or four per slice. Voila! You're done. Fun!