Roger Schlafly is an older brother of Conservapedia founder Andrew Schlafly and is a conservative activist in his own right. He is also a mathematician and computer programmer. Among Phyllis Schlafly's brood, Roger ranks third in order of birth.
Surprisingly, he contests many of Andy's ridiculous claims. Though his motives are unknown, his despicable posting of facts is sure to soon earn him scorn as yet another deceitful liberal (and probably a ban).
One of the six children of John Fred and Phyllis Schlafly, Schlafly graduated from St. Louis Priory School in 1973. He received a summa cum laude B.S. in electrical engineering from Princeton University in 1976. A year later, he earned his master's degree from Princeton. In 1980, he received his Ph.D. in mathematics from the University of California, Berkeley. His dissertation was titled Universal Connections and a Characteristic Class for Euclidean Space, and he studied under the advisory of Isadore Manual Singer. Among Roger Schlafly's fellow doctoral students at Berkeley was Daniel Friedan, son of feminist activist Betty Friedan; Roger's mother Phyllis Schlafly was an anti-feminist conservative activist.
At the University of Chicago, he was "an L.E. Dickson Instructor with research interests in differential geometry and mathematical physics" from 1980 to 1983; his last academic job was at the University of California, Santa Cruz. Schlafly then became an air traffic controller system designer and cryptographer.
 Later achievements
 As a blogger
Roger Schlafly writes two blogs. At Dark Buzz, a science-focused blog, he conveys "ideas and information that are essential to understanding our world...ignored by the mainstream media". There, he engages in quite a bit of Einstein-bashing and frequently labels him a plagiarist and fraud. He frequently writes about Henri Poincare, a French physicist who he believes is a victim of underappreciation because of Einstein, despite that everyone seems to know the name. Ironically, a lot of times Roger cites The New York Times and other "mainstream media" sources in Dark Buzz including the BBC. At Singular Values, he expresses his grievances with everything that liberals made wrong with the world. On both blogs, he writes about topics of interest such as physics, politics, psychology, mathematics, and technology.
Regarding Singular Values:
For some time he cross-posted his blogs.
He writes from (as you'd expect) the perspective of a right-wing, white male heterosexual American Christian with libertarian leanings, and has cited the white nationalist website VDARE. Roger also has implied that the United States should be a white majority nation.
Also, on his blogs, he has expressed that:
- "There is no reason for educated people to use anything but English"
- "Soon there will be very little reason for any English-speaker to learn another language."
- Incompetent pretty boys are more likely than incompetent bimbos to learn the ropes in political office.
- Eric Rudolph, the Atlanta Olympic park bomber, was an atheist (despite being part of the Christian Identity movement)
- Laws banning use of cell phones while driving are ineffective.
- It's wrong to have cheerleaders at girls' high school sporting events.
- There doesn't need to be a Voting Rights Act because: "[n]o ethnic groups face any significant voting burdens anywhere in the US."
- Kids under 2 should be able to watch TV, despite what the American Academy of Pediatrics thinks. "Pediatricians are experts on child medicine, but have no expertise in TV watching." He also said: "an hour or so of the right TV shows could be beneficial to one-year-olds."
- Regarding a study showing that empathy is a trait more common among lower-class people: "The higher-class folks don't need it and don't want it." Also: "I suspect that high empathy measurements are correlated with an assortment of psychological problems."
- Responding to a new edition of Mark Twain's classic The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn that drops the use of the N-word: "White liberals are responsible for this outrage." Yeah right...
- Marital rape? Women are people? What? "Feminist dogma says that all rape is the same, but I don't agree. I say that raping a virgin is a worse crime than raping a slut, and stranger rape is worse than date rape, and almost any rape is worse than marital rape." Also, he expressed disagreement with an advice column that told a man to "stop pressuring" his wife for sex when she didn't want it: "Marriage will not survive if these attitudes are commonplace." Because marriage will totally survive with unhappy women and greedy, spoiled, entitled men, right?
- Roger Schlafly also defended his mother's statement "By getting married, the woman has consented to sex, and I don't think you can call it rape," by responding: "There are some feminists who argue that marital rape is worse than stranger rape. Most people disagree."
- Also responding to an advice column about a woman who didn't like her husband ogling at other women, Roger responded: "No, there is nothing wrong with looking at attractive women. Being a man is not a medical condition. This is normal male behavior. Get over it."
Schlafly only accepts academic studies that fit his pre-existing worldview. For example, he has dismissed a study by the American Psychological Association that concluded that children who were spanked were more likely to engage in aggressive behavior in adulthood, but agreed with a study that concluded that Baby Einstein videos hindered language development in children.
In 2011, Right Wing Watch highlighted a blog post that Schlafly wrote for Eagle Forum regarding the case of a Penn State football coach accused of child abuse. Roger Schlafly expressed opposition to laws mandating witnesses of child abuse to report the action to authorities: "Traditional British and American law does not require citizens to report crimes that they witness. We are not a nation of snitches. If your neighbor is illegally smoking dope, you do not have to say a word...The mandatory reporting law is a direct attack on the autonomy of the American family. Many parents have practices that provoke the disapproval of others. All it takes is one anonymous call to CPS, and a govt social worker will knock on the door and threaten to put the kids in foster care."
Right Wing Watch criticized other Eagle Forum blogs by Roger Schlafly the next year: one lamenting the drop in the white birth rate in the US and another where he denounced the proposed Congressional reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act.
When he does make an increasingly rare appearance on Conservapdia, it's often in order to clash with his brother on some aspect of science, normally Andy's bizarre rants about the Theory of Relativity. 
However, lest you think Roger is a fairly decent bloke, it's worth looking at some of his other contributions to Conservapedia:
- "Marital rape is difficult to define. Many wives see it as just a communication problem. 
- He removed any references to dictator Augusto Pinochet murdering opponents, preferring the Orwellian "surpressed."
- He butchered the "Trail of Tears" article, removing any reference to the suffering of the Indians, as well as Jackson's efforts to ensure it went ahead.
 Roger on Andy?
I keep running into people who seem to think that they have mind reading capabilities. They will confidently state what other people must be thinking, based on the skimpiest of evidence.
I am the sort of man who is not hard to read. I say what I mean and I mean what I say. Nevertheless, I sometimes hear people try to tell me that I am thinking something completely different.
People seem to do this mind reading without even realizing that they are doing it. And they don't seem affected by the contrary evidence.
 See also
- Visit Roger's webshite
- Read Roger's Blog, no one else does. Leave comments - no one else has.
- Help Roger with "Debunking the Judicial Supremacists and the Leftist Evolutionists" at another blog
- Roger has opinions on his brother's pet topic (or can he just take dictation?): This article was published in the Medical Sentinel, Volume 4, Number 3, May/June 1999, pp. 106-108. Copyright © 1999, Association of American Physicians and Surgeons (AAPS).
- Another of Roger's articles Is Vaccination Dissent Dangerous? - Journal of American Physicians and Surgeons, Volume 8, Number 2, Summer 2003, pp. 57.
- Ol'Roge's Wikipedia user talk page
- Roger's 1989 LTTE to The New York Times: "Computer Software Needs No Patents"
- 1997 LTTE to San Francisco Chronicle: "A regent of courage"
- ↑ The manifold applications of Pascal's Triangle (senior thesis at SLPS)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Official Vaccine Policy Flawed article by Roger Schlafly
- ↑ Forcing and nilpotent groups (senior thesis at Princeton)
- ↑ Roger Sherwood Schlafly at Mathematics Genome Project
- ↑ Crichtlow, Donald. Phyllis Schlafly and grassroots conservatism: a woman's crusade. p. 14.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 About page at Information Security Corporation (click on "Management")
- ↑ How to cut a cake, Ian Stewart, Oxford University Press, 2006
- ↑ The paper in question.
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Roger's Blogs
- ↑ How Einstein Ruined Physics
- ↑ [ http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/EagleForumRadioShows/~3/PWUL4T-rQJs/Schlafly-11-26-11.mp3 Audio of Eagle Forum Live, 11/26/11]
- ↑ http://blog.eagleforum.org/ Roger's posts indicate "posted by Roger".
- ↑ SPLC said so!
- ↑ http://schlafly.blogspot.com/2009/10/foreign-born-prize-winners.html
- ↑ California whites declining
- ↑ http://blog.singularvalues.com/2012/05/coyne-bans-me-from-his-blog.html
- ↑ Avoiding goofy character sets (Dec. 22, 2009). This post regards the proposed use of Cyrillic characters in Web domain names. Unamerican movie (Dec. 27, 2009). He criticizes the use of British accents in the movie Sherlock Holmes and appears to have a problem with a character in the TV show House having an...AUSTRALIAN accent of all things!
- ↑ California gives driving exams in 34 languages... He even promotes cultural ignorance: "Tagalog is so obscure that most people don't even know what it is." So he's among "most people"?
- ↑ Vote for the good-looking man
- ↑ Jihad in Fort Hood Texas, Arab Group Has Ties to Terrorists
- ↑ Cell phone laws failed
- ↑ Silly Title IX claims
- ↑ http://schlafly.blogspot.com/2002/08/aclu-thinks-that-forbidding-convicted.html
- ↑ Pediatricians give bad TV advice
- ↑ Study on risks of toddlers watching TV
- ↑ 26.0 26.1 Baby videos may hinder infant language development, Baby Einstein a failure
- ↑ Empathy is for the lower classes
- ↑ Decline of empathy
- ↑ Words even Twain cannot say anymore
- ↑ This discussion of the Huck Finn issue sparked much outrage among liberal forum participants of all races
- ↑ Italian rape law
- ↑ Advice for sexless marriage
- ↑ Phyllis gets honorary degree
- ↑ Maleness is not a disease
- ↑ New bogus spanking study
- ↑ Eagle Forum Derides Penn State "Witch-Hunt"
- ↑ Two other bloggers took down Roger: here and here. and here.
- ↑ Eagle Forum Laments Dip in White Birth Rate: 'This is Not a Good Thing'
- ↑ Schlafly Denounces Violence Against Women Act, Dismisses Congresswoman who Sought Charges Against her Rapist
- ↑ Roger's opening shotimg
- ↑ Andy shows that he doesn't have a clueimg
- ↑ Roger sets the record straightimg
- ↑ Andy loses and accuses Roger of ranting.img
- ↑ His edit to "Martial rape"img
- ↑ His edit to the article on Augusto Pinochetimg
- ↑ His edit to "Trail of Tears"img
- ↑ One of Roger's blogs