The Master's University
| Christ died so that we may|
write articles about
|A multi-chef broth|
|Devil's in the details|
|The pearly gates|
“”We teach that the Word of God is an objective, propositional revelation, verbally inspired in every word, absolutely inerrant in the original documents, infallible, and God-breathed. We teach the literal, grammatical-historical interpretation of Scripture which affirms the belief that the opening chapters of Genesis present creation in six literal days, describe the special creation of man and woman, and define marriage as between one man and one woman. Scripture elsewhere dictates that any sexual activity outside of marriage is an abomination before the Lord.
|—Excerpted from The Master's University's doctrinal statement|
The Master's University is a fundamentalist Baptist "university" located in Santa Clarita, California. The "university" was formed as the Los Angeles Baptist Theological Seminary in 1927. Since 1985, the university's president has been John F. MacArthur, an evangelical young earth creationist who is also the pastor of Grace Community Church, a megachurch located in Sun Valley, California.
The "university" is primarily focused on undergraduate liberal arts programs, but does offer master's degrees in Bible counseling and Biblical studies. A master's level teaching credential program is also offered.
The environment provided by the "university" is based on a strict, conservative biblical world outlook. All aspects of campus life and study are meticulously engineered for compliance with the biblical outlook and are cross-referenced to Bible verses. However, since The Master's University is legitimately accredited, it appears to avoid the unseemliness of more extreme examples of fundie schools such as Bob Jones University and Pensacola Christian College.
The Master's Seminary is the graduate seminary division of The Master's University. The seminary was formed in 1986 and like the "university" it is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
The university and seminary are outspokenly homophobic and quite upset at the "tidal wave of immorality [that] has inundated the United States and the rest of the world." The seminary's journal has an entire issue "Devoted to Exposing the Truth about Homosexuality."
- The Master's College, Doctrinal Statement. masters.edu. Retrieved on 3 December 2015.
- History of The Master's College. masters.edu. Retrieved on 3 December 2015.
- John MacArthur. gracechurch.org. Retrieved on 4 December 2015.
- The Master's College Accreditations. masters.edu. Retrieved on 3 December 2015.
- The Master’s Seminary Accreditation. tms.edu. Retrieved on 3 December 2015.
- A Biblical Response to Homosexuality. tms.edu. 26 June 2015. Retrieved on 3 December 2015.
- John MacArthur. An Open Letter to TMC Friends. masters.edu. 1 July 2015. Retrieved on 3 December 2015.
- The Master's Seminary Journal, Volume 19, No. 2, Fall 2008. tms.edu. Retrieved on 4 December 2015.