| Christ died so we may|
write articles about
|A multi-chef broth|
|Devil's in the details|
|The pearly gates|
“”People are equally horrified at hearing the Christian religion doubted, and at seeing it practiced.
WWJD is an acronym for
Whom What would Jesus Do? It was used on bumper stickers in the 1990s by Christians, and has recently been reincarnated as a slogan on silicone bands, jewellery, and all sorts of trinkets.
When confronting a difficult problem, it is useful to pause and think "What would Jesus do?" Some examples:
- A bully pushes you down. You get up. You want to hit him, but you think, "WWJD" and pause...just long enough for him to bitch-slap you in the mouth.
- You invade a large, fractious nation. No one seems to appreciate their "liberation." You get ready to nuke the whole place, but then you ask "WWJD?" (Or, What Would Colin Powell have done, but we already know that answer.) While you are thinking, resurgent Taliban and Al-Qaeda elements in that other country launch an offensive aimed at the already-decimated capital.
- The Vietnam War and the surrounding controversy is raging. You have a choice between being drafted to kill, or volunteering to kill. WWJD? He would join the Air National Guard and avoid taking lives by refusing to show up for work, or run to Canada.
WWJD was originally coined by 19th Century Christian Socialist Charles Sheldon, who sympathized with poor people and worked on many projects for relieving poverty. For example, he inspired local people to help desperately poor former slaves who had settled nearby and established a kindergarten for African American children well ahead of his time.
Today, though, no one ever seems to think Jesus would drop off a couple of club packs of cereal at the homeless shelter or sit down to a nice glass of wine and a shawarma with Maggie, though.
The phrase "WWJD" has been parodied in many contexts. Examples include the following:
- A bumper sticker reading "Who would Jesus torture?" was seen in Seattle following the initial release of the Abu Ghraib torture photographs.
- In Minnesota, you can find bumper stickers, obviously made by those evil liberals, that say "What Would Wellstone Do?"
- Cartoon fans have been known to ask "What would Scooby Do?"
- "What would Dogbert do?" from the comic strip Dilbert.
- In the dystopian comic book series, Y: The Last Man, whose premise is that (almost) all men have suddenly died, one woman asks "WWJD?" and, when ridiculed for pandering to outmoded male ideas, explains that she meant "What Would Jackie Do?"
- What would a pirate do?
- What Would Jesus Eat?
- What Should I Do?
- What would Cthulhu Do?
- What would Reagan Do?
- What would FSM Do?
- What would Madoka do?
- What Would Jesus Do? The Evil Bible lists any number of immoral things Jesus would do.
- Who would Jesus shoot? Gun sights in the US military are inscribed with Bible verses.
- What Would Jesus Do? - Axis of Awesome A song about what Jesus would do.
- What Would Jesus Do? This shows how far removed the Republican Party are from what Jesus would do.
- What Would Jesus Do? LLC Buy your wristbands now so you can forever remember to do as Jesus would do.