| Like and subscribe|
BreadTube may be considered a response to the overwhelming presence of right-wing, anti-SJW and conspiratorial YouTubers that move young people through the "alt-right pipeline". Their goal is not only to de-radicalize young people and draw them away from those reactionary places, but also to educate progressives that moved further left –especially after the rise of far-right kakistocrats like Donald Trump and Jair Bolsonaro.
- 1 Notable BreadTubers/LeftTubers
- 2 Other channels and podcasts
- 3 ButterHorse
- 4 External links
- 5 Notes
- 6 References
Some of the most influential and impactful BreadTubers include:
Hosted by Natalie Wynn, a socialist and feminist trans woman with an academic background who discusses a variety of socio-political topics with an emphasis on gender and sexuality. Her videos are known for their combination of dark, theatrical humor, flamboyant costumes, and a surreal atmosphere.
Harris Brewis, better known as Hbomberguy or Harris Bomberguy (not to be confused with Bomber Harris), is a British socialist gamer who produces video essays on popular media and "measured responses" aimed to debunk conspiracy theories and reactionary talking points.
He became known to a more mainstream audience in January 2019 for livestreaming a 57-hour attempt to complete the video game Donkey Kong 64 for charity, which raised approximately $340,000 for the UK trans children support group Mermaids. The stream featured special guests such as Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Chelsea Manning, John Romero, Chuck Tingle, and Mara Wilson, as well as fellow Internet celebrities Natalie Wynn (ContraPoints), Lindsay Ellis, Jim Sterling, Riley J. Dennis, Adam Conover (Adam Ruins Everything), Olly Thorn (Philosophy Tube), Shaun, Dan Arrows (Three Arrows), Virgil Texas & Matt Christman (Chapo Trap House), Jenny Nicholson, and Lewis Lovhaug (Linkara).
Lindsay Ellis is a feminist media critic formerly known as the Nostalgia Chick (2008-2015), the female counterpart to Doug Walker's Nostalgia Critic. After leaving the Channel Awesome hellhole for good in 2015, she started producing surprisingly thoughtful and deeply researched, but still humorous, film-criticism essays (including a Hugo Award-nominated, three-part series on the Hobbit film trilogy). Like fellow YouTube pop culture critics/video essayists Kyle Kallgren and Jenny Nicholson, her content isn't overtly political, but she's friends with ContraPoints and Hbomberguy.
Hosted by Emerican Johnson, a self-identified intersectionalist anarcho-communist, who focuses on political re-education and promoting fellow BreadTubers. Johnson, a former right-wing entrepeneur, became disillusioned with capitalism and moved to Vietnam.
Peter Coffin is an agender (he/him/all pronouns) anarchist, satirist, and social critic from Michigan, creator of "Very Important Documentaries" (political infotainment), "Many Peters" (Coffin's take on current topics), and "Adversaries" (critiques of advertisement).
Hosted by British philosopher and Justin Trudeau look-alike, Oliver "Olly" Thorn. Philosophy Tube was created in 2013 as an educational channel about, well, philosophy, with Olly using a standard "talking head" format, a simple webcam, and natural lighting. His intention was to give away his MA in Philosophy to the people for free after the Tory government in the UK tripled university tuition fees. His videos began as miniature lectures, but as his channel became more focused on social issues and political philosophy, he began experimenting with making more longform video essays, with higher production values, comedic sketches and interludes similar to ContraPoints's (complete with
sexy costumes and bisexual lighting), which isn't surprising considering that Olly is also a professional actor.
A talk show hosted by Kyle Kulinski, an atheist, shill for Big Seltzer, and a progressive Democrat (he is a co-founder of Justice Democrats), even though he describes himself as a social democrat/left libertarian. Kulinski is critical of Israel and American imperialism, but as TYT-influenced liberals often do, he has a US-centric view of the left-right spectrum (i. e., "socialism is when the government does stuff") and dislikes SJW-types.
Shaun was initially a "let's play" channel run by two old school friends, Shaun and Jen, but after 2016 Shaun began making solo videos debunking alt-right bullshit in a calm, British way (Jen has nothing to do with Shaun's political videos and only appears on S&J's new gaming channel).
Thought Slime, is a sweaty, non-binary (prefers he/him pronouns), Canadian former stand-up comedian turned anarcho-communist and GarfieldEats aficionado. His earlier content (before he decided to reveal his face) featured "King Cuck", an animated avatar resembling Timmy Turner from The Fairly OddParents. He makes goofy, entergaging (entertaining and engaging) videos on anarchist theory, mental health, anti-capitalism, and anti-fascism. And let's plays. Oh, and make up tutorials. He is a member of the Industrial Workers of the World.
Hosted by Dan Arrows, a German social democrat who creates videos debunking bad history, with a focus on debunking Holocaust denialism and other falsehoods and myths related to Nazi Germany, European history, and fascism.
Vaush is an anarcho-syndicalist of the "dirtbag left" variety who debunks reactionary content and isn't afraid to debate fascists and DESTROY them with facts and logic. He is somewhat edgier than most of BreadTube, which often gets him in drama with other leftists.
Some More News
Some More News is a Youtube channel run by Cody Johnston and Katy Stoll and hosted by Johnston. The channel is updated bi-weekly with a video that focuses on the largest news story of the week.
Other channels and podcasts
- Angie Speaks
- The Antifada
- Bat'ko[note 1]
- Beau of the Fifth Column
- Big Joel
- BlackGoat 666
- Caleb Maupin
- Chapo Trap House
- Christopher Szabo
- Claudia Brown
- Comrade Cora
- Conquest of Dread
- Creationist Cat
- Cuck Philosophy
- Cult of Dusty
- Dankey Kang
- David Pakman Show
- The Double Take
- Faraday Speaks
- Flea Market Socialist
- Folding Ideas
- Franchesca Ramsey
- For Harriet
- The Garbage Bin of Ideas
- Guerrilla Radio
- Hard Lens Media
- Hasan Piker
- How To Activism
- Hannah and Jake
- Innuendo Studios
- Jack Saint
- Jim Sterling (The Jimquisition)
- Kat Blaque[note 2]
- The Kavernacle
- KnowingBetter[note 3]
- Lily Orchard
- let's talk about stuff. (Sarah Zedig)
- Libertarian Socialist Rants
- Mad Blender
- Maggie Mae Fish
- The Majority Report
- MEANS TV
- Mia Mulder
- The Michael Brooks Show
- Michael Saba
- Mr. Atheist
- theneedledrop[note 4]
- Patricia Taxxon
- Полинкаж 'Polinkazh'
- Polite Conversations
- Pop Culture Detective
- The Progressive Voice
- Quinton Reviews
- Radical Reviewer
- Ray Ramses
- Reading Radical
- Rebecca Watson
- Renegade Cut
- Revolutionary Left Radio
- Riley J. Dennis
- Rugged Midwesterner
- Sarah Z
- The Serfs
- Sheep In The Box
- Shonen Ronin
- Socialism Or Barbarism![note 5]
- Some More News
- Space Babies
- Step Back History
- Suck My Opinion
- Sunflower Socialist
- T1J (the1janitor)
- theory pleeb[note 6]
- Tim Black
- Tovarishch Endymion
- Twilight Aeon (Comfy Spectre/Maria Jorge/Maria the Witch)
- Zahinsky[note 7]
"ButterHorse" is the Twitch.tv version of BreadTube. The term was coined by The Serfs, who also hosted a charity livestream called Butterpalooza on October 2019, featuring a huge list of BreadTubers.
- BreadTube on Reddit
- "5 Fantastic YouTubers Fighting The Spread Of Alt-Right Propaganda", by Dani Di Placido
- Formerly known as Bat'ko the Manarchist, /leftypol/'s most popular shitposter, and as such he used to be an edgy class reductionist, but has since renounced those regressive views. He did a great job debunking right-wing propaganda, such as a nonsensical piece made by Dinesh D'Souza for Prager "University" (watch Bat'ko's video here), and also tried to reclaim Pepe the Frog. Sadly, Bat'ko announced on July 2019 that he would no longer make videos (he still runs a Facebook meme page, though).
- Trans female POC YouTuber who made a video pointing out the whiteness and maleness of BreadTube, how her views don't feel validated unless a white male affirms them or says similar points to her, and how she isn't known for her views or style of video but more for her physical characteristics. Additionally, she and commenters pointed out that YouTube algorithms weren't kind to her and she received attention because other BreadTubers shared it. Her video on the whiteness of BreadTube caught attention from the more major BreadTubers, who responded to cooperate in inclusivity and diversity by creating and sharing lists of lesser BreadTubers. Her style of video is simplistic, generally her speaking to a camera and taking sips from a drink.
- In an inverse stopped clock moment, he made a video titled "In Defense of Columbus: An Exaggerated Evil", which is nothing but pseudohistorical Christopher Columbus apologia. Watch BadEmpanada's response video here.
- Popular music review channel. Its host, Anthony Fantano, used to be an antifeminist liberal broflake of the TJ Kirk variety, but thankfully got better. He now identifies as a social democrat.
- His video on how the Civil War was basically America's 1848 Revolution is a must watch.
- Deplatformed by YouTube in October of 2019, but reinstated in December of that year. See here.
- Previously known as Dr. Layman.
- The Conquest of Bread, Pyotr Alexeyvich Kropotkin, The Anarchist Library
- "The PewDiePipeline: how edgy humor leads to violence", NonCompete, YouTube
- "Fallout 3 Is Garbage, And Here's Why", Hbomberguy, YouTube
- "Pathologic is Genius, And Here's Why", Hbomberguy, YouTube
- "Flat Earth: A Measure Response", Hbomberguy, YouTube
- "Climate Denial: A Measured Response", Hbomberguy, YouTube
- "Cultural Marxism: A Measured Response - Hbomberguy", Hbomberguy, YouTube
- "The Golden One: A Measured Response", Hbomberguy, YouTube
- "The Hobbit: A Long Expected Autopsy" Lindsay Ellis, YouTube
- "'What are you, some kind of COMMUNIST?' My Ideology Explained" @ 1m19s
- "Confessions of a Capitalist: how a serial entrepreneur became a dirty commie", NonCompete, YouTube
- "Very Important Documentaries" playlist, Peter Coffin, YouTube
- "Many Peters" playlist, Peter Coffin, YouTube
- "Adversaries" playlist, Peter Coffin, YouTube
- "Giving away a philosophy degree online: Actor Oliver Thorn shares his philosophy education on YouTube", BBC
- "Getting Sweaty About Globalism", Thought Slime, YouTube
- "2000 Subscriber Q & A", Thought Slime, YouTube
- "GarfieldEats, a normal website in normal capitalism", Thought Slime, YouTube
- "Ten things everyone gets wrong about Anarchists!", Thought Slime, YouTube
- "All Cops Are Bad", Thought Slime, YouTube
- "The uncomfortable truth about mental illness that nobody wants to admit", Thought Slime, YouTube
- "How to Succeed in Capitalism", Thought Slime, YouTube
- "Antifa O P T I C S", Thought Slime, YouTube
- "Finishing DeltaRune", Thought Slime, YouTube
- "Non-binary buffoon achieves the Perfect Cat Eye -- Making It Up As I'm Going Along", Thought Slime, YouTube
- "Easy Direct Action", Thought Slime, YouTube
- "Were the Crusades Defensive? - A Response to Steven Crowder, Three Arrows, YouTube
- "Guns in the Third Reich - A Response to Ben Shapiro and Others, Three Arrows, YouTube
- "A Battle of Lies - Fake News in the Great War", Three Arrows, YouTube
- "CLOWN WORLD & Nazi Dogwhistling", Vaush, YouTube
- "Red Ice TV LIES; FAILS to Turn me into a FASCIST", Vaush, YouTube
- "Vaush DESTROYS ExtremeDad on Drug Decriminalization Policy", Vaush Highlights, YouTube
- "Some More News channel", YouTube
- Full Butterpalooza stream on Twitch: part 1 & part 2