Draft:Intellectual Dark Web
| It doesn't stop|
at the water's edge
The "Intellectual Dark Web" is a neologism coined by economist Eric Weinstein to refer to a group of (mostly right-wing and centrist) pundits, media producers, academics, and so on.
Individuals associated with the term
- Eric Weinstein, American economist, mathematician and managing director of Peter Thiel's Thiel Capital.
- Bret Weinstein, American biologist and the sole progressive of the group.
- Ben Shapiro, American conservative pundit, conspiracy theorist, former Breitbart writer and co-founder of The Daily Wire.
- Dave Rubin, American libertarian/self-proclaimed "classical liberal" host of The Rubin Report.
- Jordan Peterson, Canadian clinical psychologist and social conservative activist.
- Sam Harris, American neuroscientist and one of the "Four Horsemen" of New Atheism.
- Joe Rogan, American UFC commentator and host of The Joe Rogan Experience.
- Michael Shermer, American science writer, editor-in-chief of the magazine Skeptic, and bicyclist.
- Christina Hoff Sommers, American writer for American Enterprise Institute.
- Maajid Nawaz, British activist who advocates for a "moderate, secular Islam."
- Claire Lehmann, Australian alt-right editor-in-chief and founder of Quillette.
- Steven Pinker, American linguist and psychologist.
- Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Somali-born American anti-Islam activist.
A Gateway to Alt-Right Radicalization
In 2019 a study from the UFMG found the Intellectual Dark Web's Youtube channels were a gateway from the "alt-lite" to alt-right radicalization. The study looked at over 331,000 videos that an algorithim had classified as right-wing, and analyzed 79 million Youtube comments. A large number of those users who had posted comments on IDW channels later migrated to leaving comments on more radical Youtube channels. As Ribeiro puts it, “there is migration among users from the Alt-lite and the I.D.W. to the Alt-right,” confirming that less extreme right-wing content did indeed serve as a gateway of sorts for radicalization. 
- Koch Industries, who provide funding for numerous members.
- Dennis Prager, as many members have hosted PragerU videos, such as Shapiro, Rubin, Peterson and Sommers.
- Alt-lite, the less impressive name given to them by the alt-right.
- Why capitalism won’t survive without socialism Vox. July 25th, 2017.
- Patreon Bars Anti-Feminist for Racist Speech, Inciting Revolt The New York Times. December 24th, 2018.
- Top Patreon creators, of the 'Intellectual Dark Web,' say they're launching an alternate crowdfunding platform not 'susceptible to arbitrary censorship' Business Insider. December 17th, 2018.
- Dickson, EJ (August 28, 2019). "Study Shows How the ‘Intellectual Dark Web’ Is a Gateway to the Far Right". Rolling Stones Magazine. https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-news/youtube-far-right-radicalization-study-877061/.
- The “Intellectual Dark Web” is a Billionaire-Funded Echo Chamber Medium. August 13th, 2018.
- "What Is Intersectionality?" (Jun 18, 2018)
- Hollywood Wants Your Money...and Your Mind" (Dec 18, 2017)
- "Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" (May 11, 2017)
- "So, You Think You're Tolerant?" (Jul 9, 2018)
- "Why I Left the Left" (Feb 6, 2017)
- "Dangerous People Are Teaching Your Kids" (Jun 11, 2018)
- "Fix Yourself" (Jan 29, 2018)
- "The Myth of the Gender Wage Gap" (Sep 22, 2014)
- "War on Boys" (May 19, 2014)
- "There Is No Gender Wage Gap" (Mar 16, 2017)