| Some dare call it|
|What THEY don't want|
you to know!
|—Everything you need to know about Globalresearch|
While some of GlobalResearch's articles discuss legitimate humanitarian concerns, its view of science, economics, and geopolitics is conspiracist — if something goes wrong, the
Jews West didit! The site has long been a crank magnet: If you disagree with "Western" sources on 9/11, or HAARP, or vaccines, or H1N1, or climate change, or anything published by the "mainstream" media, then GlobalResearch is guaranteed to have a page you will love.
The website (under the domain names globalresearch.ca(Montreal-based non-profit The Centre for Research on Globalisation (CRG) founded by Michel Chossudovsky, a former professor of economics at the University of Ottawa, Canada.), globalresearch.org( ), globalresearch.com( ), and sister site mondialisation.ca( )) is run by the
Whenever someone makes a remarkable claim and cites GlobalResearch, they are almost certainly wrong. GlobalResearch is such a bad reference that it is on the anti-spam blacklist for English Wikipedia.
Do not confuse Globalresearch with globalnews.ca, which is a perfectly ordinary news site.
- 1 What it thinks it is
- 2 Scope
- 3 Noted sources
- 4 Conspiracy theories
- 5 Russian Propaganda? Conspiracy theories about GlobalResearch
- 6 See also
- 7 External links
- 8 References
What it thinks it is
“”In an era of media disinformation, our focus has essentially been to center on the "unspoken truth".
|—True only if "unspoken" means "so embarassingly false that nobody else will say it"|
GlobalResearch describes itself as "one of the leading alternative news media in North America" and believes it is a repository for "news articles, in-depth reports and analysis on issues which are barely covered by the mainstream media". GlobalResearch is strongly anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist, and anti-globalist.
Because many of its articles are reposts from other sites (and in turn other sites repost from GlobalResearch), it is hard to tell how popular GlobalResearch is. As of February 2016, GlobalResearch itself asserts that it has more than 6.92 million page views and more than 2.7 million unique visitors per month. Its YouTube had over 23,000 subscribers and 3.4 million views and its Facebook had over 190k likes. Alexa ranked globalresearch.ca at 12,000th worldwide (a lot of traffic), while globalresearch.org globalresearch.com, and mondialisation.ca had virtually no traffic.
Globalresearch appears to be largely a news clearinghouse, as very few of the stories on their homepage are attributed to "Global Research News" or "Global Research". Globalresearch contributors are happy to source information from anyone who seems vaguely aligned with their ideology, even if said contributors are full of horseshit:
- Mike Adams
- James Delingpole
- Joseph Mercola
- Gary Null
- Press TV
- Zero Hedge
- cited Liberty Beacon
- Contributors to New Eastern Outlook
- Oriental Review
|—Joachim Hagopian promoting 9/11 conspiracy theories on Globalresearch|
Despite presenting itself as a source of scholarly analysis, Global Research mostly consists of polemicists. The prevalent strand is that a New World Order is being implemented by global elites (primarily governments and corporations). Many of the articles accept conspiracy theories, pseudoscience, and propaganda in order to further this narrative.
Specific conspiracy theories include:
- Vaccines in general are a depopulation tactic.
- Vaccines cause autism.
- Vaccines in Kenya have been laced with sterility compounds by the WHO and UNICEF. Bullshit, by the way.
- Vaccines are toxic.
- Vaccines don't work.
- Vaccines are highly profitable.
- All of the above is being covered up by Monsanto and "the West".
- The Middle East:
- The USA used nukes in both Iraq and Afghanistan.
- The USA and the CIA created ISIS and are using it as a "psyop" theater.
- David Kelly was murdered to shush him.
- A faction within the CIA personally loyal to George H. W. Bush supported the 1979 revolution in Iran, both to prevent the spread of communism and as part of a personal vendetta with President Jimmy Carter. The cabal also paid the new revolutionary government not to release its 52 embassy hostages until after the 1980 US elections, contributing to Carter's defeat.
- GMFs are poison.
- GMFs are part of a depopulation conspiracy theory through sterilization of humankind
- Zionists are plotting to rule everything from Cairo to Baghdad
- Zionists have infiltrated and now control America.
- The Holocaust is a profitable industry, which Zionists collaborated in causing, and shich that Zionists use to push for Palestinian ethnic cleansing.
- Zionists use American Jews to push their agenda
- Global warming is a conspiracy theory (though some of their articles argue for the existence of global warming)
- Just some actual headlines:
- North Korea, a Land of Human Achievement, Love and Joy: North Korea Celebrates 60th Anniversary of Victory(saved archive)
- US Training Nazis, Western Media Providing Cover
- The Complete History of Monsanto, "The World’s Most Evil Corporation"
- Capitalism and "The Universal Religion"
- "US Struggles to Keep Asia in Dark Age. US-Funded 'Newspapers' and 'Activists'".
- "Weaponizing the Term 'Conspiracy Theory': Disinformation Agents and the CIA": The CIA tells lies, mainstream media is disinformation, and Andrew Wakefield's research is both valid and replicated. Right.
- Fidel Castro Ruz. His Legacy Will Live Forever
FBI Refuses to Uncover Plot to Assassinate Occupy Leaders
“”Honestly, it wouldn’t surprise me if the government cooks up these [assassination] plans for every movement that threatens the establishment. They just keep them in place as a last resort, while they use the combined efforts of the media, informants, and provocateurs to quietly neuter these movements before they become a problem. We may have just gotten lucky by stumbling onto one of their premature plans.
This article is a truly beautiful example of the site's moonbattery. In the real world, Freedom of Information Act request was sent for details on an assassination plot for members of the Occupy Houston movement. The FBI argued that the documents are legally exempted from the Freedom of Information Act, because they contained the identities of confidential sources who were members of organized violent groups. In the Globalresearch world, Chussodovsky quotes:
An identified [DELETED] as of October planned to engage in sniper attacks against protestors (sic) in Houston, Texas if deemed necessary. An identified [DELETED] had received intelligence that indicated the protesters in New York and Seattle planned similar protests in Houston, Dallas, San Antonio and Austin, Texas. [DELETED] planned to gather intelligence against the leaders of the protest groups and obtain photographs, then formulate a plan to kill the leadership via suppressed sniper rifles. (Note: protests continued throughout the weekend with approximately 6000 persons in NYC. ‘Occupy Wall Street’ protests have spread to about half of all states in the US, over a dozen European and Asian cities, including protests in Cleveland (10/6-8/11) at Willard Park which was initially attended by hundreds of protesters.
From this, he concludes:
As of now, we have no idea who this person is that was preparing to engage in these attacks, or if it even was person. For all we know it could have been a group of people or a state-sanctioned organization. We don’t know if this is information the FBI received on a suspect, or if this was a communication between themselves and one of their own assets. The language of the document certainly sounds pretty creepy. Terms like "if deemed necessary" and "received intelligence" have led many to believe that this unknown person was officially sanctioned to act by the government. And if that isn't true, if the FBI had just received a tip that a lone gunman was about to start killing peaceful protesters, what measures did they take to prevent that from happening? By all appearances, they didn’t do anything. So, best-case scenario, the government knew something could happen, and decided to ignore it; and worst-case scenario, they were playing an active role in this plot. [....] All this for a bunch of idealistic college kids. I will admit, there's a chance that we’re misinterpreting these documents, but they sure make the FBI look insane. Like I said before, it appears that they were either plotting to assassinating Occupy leaders, or they were going to look the other way while somebody else did the deed.
Chussodovsky is engaging in classic conspiracist JAQing off: rather than actually trying to find out what the FBI did or waiting for the details on the group to be revealed, he fills in the blanks with The Big Bad United States Government. He provides no reasons to believe this, but merely hopes that the lack of counterevidence is sufficient.
The Doctrine of Superior People: The Bond between Israel and World Zionism
Globalresearch approvingly reuses James Petras's article, which borders on antisemitism. Petras writes:
Israel’s dominant role in formulating US Middle East policy is largely a product of its success at recruiting, socializing and motivating overseas Jews to act as an organized force to intervene in US politics and push Israel’s agenda. What motivates American Jews, who have been raised and educated in the US[,] to serve Israel? […] I am going to focus on one – the ideology that ‘Jews are a superior people’. The notion that Jews, either through some genetic, biologic, cultural, historical, familial and/or [sic] upbringing, have[ ]special [sic] qualities allowing them to achieve at a uniquely higher level than the ‘inferior’ non-Jews.
It's one thing for Petras to disprove Jewish supremacist arguments, which are fundamentally racialist and irrational. It's wholly another to assert that Jews worldwide knowingly conspire to control the events of the world. (This is quite literally Hitler's worldview in reference to the Jews, whom he blames for every international event.)
Petras describes centuries of Jewish thought with:
For centuries Jewish ‘wisdom’ was confined to textual exegesis of religious dogma – texts full of superstition and social control, as well as blind intolerance, and which produced neither reasoned arguments nor contributed to scientific and human advancement.
Yet surely the highly religious Christian and Islamic societies of the time had exactly the same problem; singling out Judaism for this treatment is suspicious.
Historically, highly talented individuals of Jewish origin succeeded by renouncing the constraints of everyday Jewish life, rabbinical overseers and Jewish institutions. Most contemporary prestigious scientists, including the frequently cited Nobel Prize winners, have little or nothing to do with Judaism! And their contributions have everything to do with the highly secular, integrated culture in which they prospered intellectually – despite expressions of crude anti-Semitism in the larger society.
Petras fails to consider that Jews likely avoided being visibly Jewish BECAUSE of antisemitism, and manages to paint 1800s-1950s Europe as "highly secular".
Petras also does not distinguish between being ethnically Jewish and being religiously Jewish (you can be one without being the other), and ignores the fact that Jewish cultural traditions arising from Judaism are often still found within non-practicing Jews. He writes:
Jewish Supremacists persist in claiming ‘racial credit’ for the achievements of individuals who have publically renounced, denounced and distanced themselves from Judaism and have dismissed any notion of Israel as their spiritual homeland. Their universal prestige has prevented them from being labeled, apostate or ‘self-hating’. Albert Einstein, often cited by the Supremacists as the supreme example of ‘Jewish genius’, denounced Israel’s war crimes and showed disdain for any tribal identity.
Petras continues with:
Supremacists compile a very selective list of virtuous Jews, while omitting areas of life and activity where Jews have disproportionately played a negative and destructive role.
The article then proceeds to list a whole bunch of Jews who have done terrible things. One can't imagine why they'd leave those people off lists meant to celebrate pride. Why doesn't the LGBT community include Jeffrey Dahmer in their list of historical LGBT people? Surely they must be hiding something!
For articles like these, the Jewish Times described Globalresearch as "rife with anti-Jewish conspiracy theories and Holocaust denial". In response, Chussodovsky argues that Globalresearch is "anti-Zionist, not antisemitic". It appears that Globalresearch is completely unable to distinguish the line between anti-Zionism and antisemitism, much like it is unable to distinguish the line between "anti-Western" conspiracies and genuine news, and so ends up supporting both.
The antisemitism (and anti-globalism) on Globalresearch is either remarkable or explainable by Chossudovsky's background. Chossudovsky is the son of a Russian Jewish emigré with a distinguished UN career (Evgeny Chossudovsky).
"America is on a 'Hot War Footing': House Legislation Paves the Way for War with Russia?"
Globalresearch asserts that most of mainstream media is ultimately controlled by NATO and the US government.
The adoption of a major piece of legislation by the US House of Representatives on December 4th (H. Res. 758) would provide (pending a vote in the Senate) a de facto green light to the US president and commander in chief to initiate – without congressional approval– a process of military confrontation with Russia. Global security is at stake. This historic vote –which potentially could affect the lives of hundreds of millions of people Worldwide– has received virtually no media coverage. A total media blackout prevails. [....] One would expect that this historic decision would has been the object of extensive news coverage. In fact what happened was a total news blackout. The nation’s media failed to provide coverage of the debate in House of Representatives and the adoption of H Res 758 on December 4. The mainstream media had been instructed not to cover the Congressional decision. Nobody dared to raise its dramatic implications. its impacts on “global security”. ”World War III is not front page news.” And without mainstream news concerning US-NATO war preparations, the broader public remains unaware of the importance of the Congressional decision. [....] Spread the word. Reverse the tide of war. Break the mainstream media blackout.
Globalresearch is correct that no major news sources covered the resolution, (though the Ron Paul Institute and Inquisitr both managed to get their digs in) but they fail to provide any reason to believe that the media "has been instructed not to cover" the issue, rather than looking for more viewer-enticing stories — say, the graphic war that's actually going on in Ukraine. Moreover, a resolution is not a bill — it merely says that Congress is really, really pissed at Russia, rather than putting it on "hot war footing".
Miscellaneous Anti-Western bias
Globalresearch appears to fully believe that the West can do no right, and anything which opposes the "West" (i.e., the US and its allies) can do no wrong. It can be argued they're justified in this thinking, seeing how it was the West that started the Iraq War, the West that overthrew Salvador Allende and instated neoliberal criminal Pinochet as dictator of Chile, alongside the West's long history of colonial "ventures" (read: imperialism) overseas as just mere examples. Examples:
- During the 2011 Libyan civil war the site was an apologist for Muammar al-Gaddafi, reproducing his propaganda and painting him as a paragon of a modern leader. However, it should be noted that overthrowing Gaddafi has been a disaster for Libya, which is now in an eight year long civil war that shows no signs of ending anytime soon. Thanks, Obama.
- In the 2014 Ukrainian crisis the site is taking the standard "anti-globalisation" stance against the Western side and falling into the ranks of imperial Russian propaganda instead. Chossudovsky wrote that "the deaths of protesters in Maidan square triggered by Neo-Nazi elements have been used to break the legitimacy of a duly elected government" and questions, "Is the US backing Neo-Nazis in Ukraine?" While criticizing American buildup of forces against Russia, it writes: "The underlying narrative is supported by a string of baseless accusations directed against the Russian Federation. It accuses Russia of having invaded Ukraine. It states without evidence that Russia was behind the downing of Malaysian Airlines MH17, it accuses Russia of military aggression." Accordingly, it denies that MH-17 had anything to do with Russia.
Russian Propaganda? Conspiracy theories about GlobalResearch
GlobalResearch is listed in Andrew Weisburd's Disinfo Network, based on how many other alleged disinfo sites referred to said website during the height of the Ukraine crisis. This supports the above section, which notes that many of GlobalResearch's sources are Russian government or extremely pro-Russian authors. GlobalResearch is also listed in the Washington Post's PropOrNot list of sites that "Reliably Echo Russian Propaganda".
All that said, the simpler solution (which also explains everything GlobalResearch has done) is to simply assume that GlobalResearch is merely a nutty anti-Western site, rather than a knowing member of the Russian disinformation conspiracy.
- See the Wikipedia article on Michel Chossudovsky.
- Decent response on Quora: "How legitimate is The Centre for Global Research?"
- . GlobalResearch.
- . GlobalResearch.
- Michel Chossudovsky. uOttawa.
- . GlobalResearch.
- . GlobalResearch.
- . GlobalResearch.
- . GlobalResearch.
- . YouTube.
- . Facebook.
- . Alexa.
- . Alexa.
- . Alexa.
- . Alexa.
- . Jewish Tribune.
- . GlobalResearch.
- "The Globalization of Poverty: Deconstructing the New World Order"
- "The Vaccine Coverup: 30 Years of Secret Official Transcripts Show UK Government Cover Up Vaccine Hazards 'To Sell More Vaccines And Harm Your Kids'"
- "The 9/11 Attacks, 'Keeping the Lid on the Lie': Media Response to the Growing Influence of the 9/11 Truth Movement"
- "The Murder of Dr. David Kelly. 'A Symbol of the Blackness of the Tony Blair Cabal'"
- "Ten Scientific Studies Prove that Genetically Modified Food Can Be Harmful To Human Health"
- "'Greater Israel': The Zionist Plan for the Middle East"
- "The State and Local Bases of Zionist Power in America"
- "The Doctrine of 'Superior People': The Bond between Israel and World Zionism"
- "Chemtrails: The Consequences of Toxic Metals and Chemical Aerosols on Human Health"
- "Was Srebrenica a Hoax? Eye-Witness Account of a Former United Nations Military Observer in Bosnia"
- "HAARP: Secret Weapon Used For Weather Modification, Electromagnetic Warfare"
- "Global Warming: Ten Facts and Ten Myths on Climate Change"
- "Global Warming Media Propaganda"
- . Globalresearch.
- Writer with a distinguished UN career Sat, Jan 28, 2006, 00:00, Irish Times.
- "Why the NATO powers are trying to assassinate Moammar Gaddafi"
- Russian Propaganda Expose: GlobalResearch, ToInformIsToInfluence (which alleges that Globalresearch is a paid shill; take with salt)
- True Lies: Canada's Global Research Trolls the Internet, MadCowNews