List of second-generation atheists
| The Atheist's Guide To|
|More about atheism|
Second-generation atheists are atheists who have at least one atheist parent. This status wouldn't be particularly notable if not for the fact that atheism is generally frowned upon by communities that have been dominated by religion since practically forever. It's only been in the last 50 years or so that a lack of religion has become socially acceptable - therefore grown adults with strong atheist parents are fairly rare.
In addition, certain individuals of strong religious convictions have claimed that their religion is so self-evident that 'second-generation atheist' is an oxymoron, and that a child of atheist parents cannot help but return to the True Faith. This list serves as a quick refutation of that absurd idea.
- Douglas Coupland, Canadian novelist
- William B. Davis, Canadian actor
- Ellen Johnson, President of American Atheists
- Jonathan Katz, American comedian
- Huw Powell, parents were at best "C of E" habitués. Published (bad) writer, quasi-successful small business owner, and general ne'er do well.
- Wilfrid Sellars, American philosopher and son of Roy Wood Sellars
There are also third-generation atheists and "skip-a-generation" atheists.
- Paul Bowles, American composer and author
- Simon Busch, travel writer
- Edith Efron, American political writer
- Robin Murray O'Hair, granddaughter of Madalyn Murray O'Hair, the founder of American Atheists. She served as editor-in-chief of the organization's press division, but, sadly, was murdered along with her grandmother and uncle Jon in 1995.
- Gore Vidal, American author and playwright
- Laurence, Alexander. (1994). Interview with Douglas Coupland.
- Goeringer, Conrad F. (2001) Interview with with William B. Davis. American Atheist, 40 (1).
- "Ellen Johnson" on Wikipedia
- "Interview on Politically Incorrect
- Kuklick, Bruce. (2002). A History of Philosophy in America, 1720-2000.
- Spencer Carr, Virginia. (n.d.) [Paul Bowles, 1910-1999].
- Busch, Simon. "Capital confections." (January 14, 2004). The Guardian.
- Postrel, Virginia. (n.d.). "The Woman Who Saw Through Walls."
- Robin Murray-O'Hair on Skepticfiles.org
- Goeringer, Conrad F. (2000). "An Introduction to the O'Hair Family."
- Vidal, Gore. "Growing Up With Gore Vidal." (November 13, 2006). Truthdig.