There is no RationalWiki without you. We are a small non-profit with no staff — we are hundreds of volunteers who document pseudoscience and crankery around the world every day. We will never allow ads because we must remain independent. We cannot rely on big donors with corresponding big agendas. We are not the largest website around, but we believe we play an important role in defending truth and objectivity.
If everyone seeing this today donates $5, we will meet our goal for 2018.
| Fighting pseudoscience isn't free.|
We are 100% user-supported! Help and donate $5, $20 or whatever you can today with !
| Some dare call it|
|What THEY don't want|
you to know!
“”I still don't know whether Adams really and truly believes in the nonsense he promotes. I really don't and still can't tell. For example, did Adams relocate to Ecuador because he really believes in the "natural" lifestyle or did he do it to escape those pesky laws in the U.S. that frown on selling unproven remedies. I do know, however, that Adams appears to have an utter contempt for his own readers, as evidenced by his repeating outrageous straw men such as the claim that SBM says that susceptibility to disease is totally random and that there's nothing anyone can do about it and bizarre falsehoods like his claim in the Vaccine Zombie video above that vaccines can make your testicles fall off.
|—David Gorski, MD|
NaturalNews.com[note 1] and its sister site WakingScience.com are websites run by Mike Adams (self-labeled "The Health Ranger") which promotes alternative medicine and related conspiracy theories. Even other quacks think it's a quack site. The site particularly specializes in vaccine denialism and the alleged vaccines-autism link, AIDS/HIV denialism, quack cancer treatments, and conspiracy theories about "Big Pharma". If there's an alternative medicine or alternative medical treatment out there, you can guarantee that NaturalNews has one article singing its praises to the sky and one more bashing the stupid "skeptics".
In short: If you cite NaturalNews on any matter whatsoever, you are almost certainly wrong.
- 1 Health beliefs
- 2 Other woo
- 3 Creative endeavors
- 4 Other activities
- 5 External links
- 6 Notes
- 7 References
- Food that's not raw
- Both sugar and sweeteners
- Red meat
- Homogenized milk (the cooked, non-bacteria-infested kind)
- White flour
- Genetically modified food
- Washing powder
- McDonald's chicken nuggets
A recurring theme is the contrast between the site's exacting criticism of evidence-based medicine and its unquestioning acceptance of the appeal to nature, New Age and alternative medicine. (Adams himself supports both quantum healing and quantum consciousness.) This often involves rejection of the scientific method's application to medicine as "inherently flawed," repudiating the entire philosophy of modern medicine post-Pasteur. Adams is a firm germ theory denialist. Adams also conflates evidence-based medicine in general, the failings of Big Pharma, and the US health insurance system: to him, it's all a monolithic entity called "mainstream medicine." The site blames the pharmaceutical industry for all vaguely drug-linked celebrity deaths rather than looking at any surrounding factors.
The response to any alternative medicine claim, however, is blind acceptance, whether the topic at hand is homeopathy, chiropractic, dental woo, aspartame scares, vitamin woo, anti-vaccination panic or detox diets.
Adams has argued that "detoxing" after vaccination will let you avoid their bad effects:
If you’re being forced to take a vaccine against your will (by a totalitarian medical regime like California), are there things you can do to protect yourself from vaccine toxins? [....] The key to surviving this assault on your body is to eliminate these chemicals quickly. In this video filmed at our Consumer Wellness Center Laboratories, I reveal nutritional strategies for accelerating your body’s natural detox so that you can safely survive a vaccine assault that’s forced upon you by a coercive, fascist medical regime.
Yet surely this would mean that he would be OK with compulsory vaccination, if the government just handed out free detox afterward.
NaturalNews also features many Big Pharma conspiracy theories, believing that there is no depth Big Pharma will not sink to, no lie too big for them to tell, in order to poison American citizens and cover up their "junk science." Adams claims that the pharmaceutical industry is creating HIV vaccines with the sole purpose of creating as many HIV positive people as possible to sell anti-retroviral drugs to at a huge profit. Mammographic screening creates cancer, which is then expensively treated for big profit. He considers that chemotherapy warrants criminal prosecution.
More recent conspiracy theories claim that Bill Gates and Microsoft are in the process of developing weaponized, ethnically-targeted influenza viruses as part of a sinister eugenics plot. No, really. Adams also manages to misinterpret attempts to develop reversible forms of male contraceptives as deliberate attempts to permanently sterilize minorities.
His reaction to Angelina Jolie's preventive double mastectomy due to having the BRCA1 gene mutation was predictable: the quoted 87% probability that she would come down with breast cancer was irrelevant, since diet and lifestyle changes can magically suppress BRCA1 expression. And of course, oncologists are cast as the quacks here, not fine upstanding people like Adams.
Adams' love for woo isn't restricted to medicine. Cold fusion and so-called free energy ideas and devices like the Energy Catalyzer are presented on his website with the same enthusiasm as the latest alternative medicine fad. He collects news about chemtrails. He is a 9/11 truther, Birther, and pretty much everything else-er. Also a Sandy Hook denialist. He considers Alex Jones, Jeff Rense, and David Icke to be "REAL heroes", and Icke and whale.to to be reliable sources. Curiously, he supports Ron Paul, who is a real medical doctor and not a practitioner of woo (in the field of medicine). This could be because Paul supports "health freedom," despite Adams simultaneously supporting health care reform and Cuba's health care system.
He thinks Scientology (of which he is an ex-member) is treated unfairly. According to Adams, this is due to attempts by anti-religious bigots and (you guessed it) Big Pharma to oppress their belief system in order to protect their profits.
As well as Sandy Hook, Adams has also issued his informed opinion of the 2012 Aurora, Colorado shootings, declaring that they were "obviously" staged, or perhaps that the killer, James Holmes, was involved in "experimental" neuroscience that got out of hand. Furthermore, he says the 2013 attacks on the Boston Marathon were a false flag operation by "private military contractors."
In 2014 Adams wrote several articles where he tried to prove that the Malaysian airplane disaster in March 2014 was a government cover-up, and that the plane was secretly made into a "stealth weapon", possibly carrying nuclear weapons. He also stated that he believed that the people behind the cover-up could go as far as "secretly sink some aircraft debris in the Indian Ocean so they can "find it"." Even though he believes the passengers might have survived he states that "world governments are rolling out their 'official' stories, there is no question in my mind that they will do anything to support those official stories, even if it means discarding the lives of all the passengers."
… it's so fake that the whole thing has become an IQ test for figuring out how many people can be so easily fooled by a fake… If I turned in a document like this as part of an effort to get a home loan, for example, and I assembled it layer by layer with obvious cutting and pasting of numbers from multiple sources in order to fake my reported income levels, I would be guilty of a felony crime. At the very least, I would be laughed out of the room. "Are you kidding me? This is your best attempt at falsifying an income statement?" they would say. Even a high school kid with a scanner and Photoshop knows how to make a more convincing forgery than this.
Adams took this as the ideal opportunity for a piece of truly biting social commentary about the fakeness of modern American life.
Couples are now artificially fertilized (fake conception!), and when their children are born, they feed them fake milk (infant formula). They grow up on fake sweeteners and fake (artificial) colors. In school, they're taught fake U.S. history so that they have fake ideas of how the world really works. When they're old enough, they get to participate in faked voting schemes where the winners are already determined.
And thanks to the internet, we live in a world of fake friends, fake emotions and fake sex. Football games are played on fake grass, and today's "reality" TV shows are all faked, too. Professional wrestling is fake (but MMA isn't), and most of the news consumed by the masses is entirely fabricated. Even the science behind most of modern medicine is faked, fabricated or twisted around in order to get the results the drug companies want to see.
For the most part, we are fake people living in a fake world engaged in fake interactions. So why shouldn't we have a fake President with a fake birth certificate to top it all off?I don't know what the problem is here with the obviously fake birth certificate. Of course it's a fake. But isn't that what we vote for when we vote for any president? After all, presidential election campaigns are all about making fake promises uttered with fake smiles as part of faked speeches that are actually written by somebody else and read on the teleprompter.
Between 2011 and 2014, Adams decided that having this post up was rather damaging. But, if he just deleted it or at least took a shred of responsibility for it, that would also be embarrassing. Instead, the post was updated with a totally believable explanation of why he was a birther and now isn't:
The article which originally appeared here has been removed because it is no longer aligned with the science-based investigative mission of Natural News. In late 2013 / early 2014, Mike Adams (the Health Ranger), editor of Natural News, transitioned from outspoken activist to environmental scientist. He now runs the Natural News Forensic Food Lab, conducting world-class food science research and publishing scientific papers on food contaminants and nutritional analytics.
Through scientific investigation powered by university-level analytical instrumentation, Adams found that, much like the majority of the population, he had been suffering over the past several years from chronic exposure to cumulative toxic elements found in the food supply, including in many organics and "superfoods." His findings — as well as breakthrough discoveries about food toxicology, protective food nutrients and the cognitive influences of food contaminants — are being published at NaturalNews.com.Notably, Adams found that exposure to toxic elements in foods altered his mindset, outlook on life and degree of happiness in the world. "I now know that much of my outlook on the world was being negatively shaped by toxic elements found not just in everyday foods, but also in some superfoods and dietary supplements," Adams now explains.
That is: the consumption of evil toxin-filled foods — as ascertained by "university-level analytical instrumentation" — caused Adams to become so delirious and susceptible to strange beliefs that he believed that President Obama's birth certificate was fake. Unfortunately, it seems that some toxic metals remain in Adams, since all of the other articles on NaturalNews continue to show the mind-altering symptoms.
One of the more ridiculous features of NaturalNews are Adams' cartoons, which are even less entertaining than Mallard Fillmore or The Far Left Side. These ran until 2011. They are usually followed by paragraph after paragraph of Adams having to explain the cartoon to an audience who otherwise wouldn't find them "funny," let alone care. Thankfully he did't do much of the actual art, that mostly having been handled by Dan Berger of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles fame.
More ridiculous still is the "Music" section on NaturalNews, where Adams posts hip-hop videos and songs he wrote about the alternative quackery of the day. Most of the so-called "music" is cheap-sounding hip-hop injected with Mike's screeds about how terrible vaccines and antidepressants are. Just like his cartoons, his hiphop postings are also followed by paragraphs of his own self-aggrandizement and boring explanations of his works for those who didn't care to listen to the actual song.
GoodGopher is a search engine produced by Mike Adams that blocks out
reality-based information "propaganda". Enter any topic of skeptical (not just alt-med) interest and it will return the very finest crank information available.
Adams has threatened legal action against one of his many critics, Jon Entine (who, of course, published the threat in full):
As you are now well aware, you are about to be named in a personal lawsuit which will cite the extensive body of your defamation and cyber bullying efforts, all of which have been archived and time stamped for court evidence. You can count on this lawsuit requiring considerable resources of your time and money for the foreseeable future. You are no doubt also aware that I have many friends in law enforcement and that we are simultaneously pursuing an effort to have you arrested and charged with cyber bullying crimes. I honestly cannot say for sure whether such an effort will be successful, but it is one of the areas we are actively pursuing against you. … I do not know if you are are rational person, but if you are, then I invite you to discuss a private settlement agreement with me which would allow us both to focus our efforts elsewhere.
Jon Entine was neither intimidated nor impressed:
If Adams is true to his claim that he’s a new man, committed to serving science, he may have no choice but to sue himself for defamation. … Will Adams sue himself for libeling himself? After all, if his goal is to put anti-science purveyors out of business — and those who he claims present “blatantly fictional, distorted or wildly exaggerated” anti-science information—why not go after the person who many scientists and journalists contend is the most egregious perpetrator of “cyber bullying” and “harassment.” … Yes, science needs you, Mike. Please, send yourself a libel threat letter. Let’s shut that quack down.
In 2010, Adams was nominated in the Shorty Awards, basically a popularity contest for Twitter users. Adams had the most votes in the health category, closely followed by fellow alt-med guru Joseph Mercola. Skeptics decided to vote up Rachel Dunlop, a skeptical doctor from Australia, getting her to the top of the health charts.
Adams and Mercola
started pouting went vote-canvassing; hundreds of their supporters turned up, created new accounts, and were promptly disqualified, as only existing accounts were allowed to vote. When Dunlop won, Adams was most upset and responded with a list of what "skeptics" believe:
Skeptics believe that many six-month-old infants need antidepressant drugs. In fact, they believe that people of all ages can be safely given an unlimited number of drugs all at the same time: Antidepressants, cholesterol drugs, blood pressure drugs, diabetes drugs, anti-anxiety drugs, sleeping drugs and more -- simultaneously!
Skeptics believe that the human body has no ability to defend itself against invading microorganism and that the only things that can save people from viral infections are vaccines.
Adams sells software to evade spam blockers through his company Arial Software. Does Adams admit responsibility for spam? No, he prefers to blame those who buy spammed products, rather than the spammers actually sending the stuff.
Audio and video
Adams also owns NaturalNews Radio and NaturalNews TV, the same stuff via streaming and video, in case Mike's flock ever wanted more of his
The star of his 2017 movie "Biosludged" is human excrement.
More recently, Adams has been branching out into survivalism and fearmongering about a potential technological or economic collapse of the United States, including founding or partnering with several specialized news sites devoted to those topics, such as Collapse.News(redirect) in August 2015, Bugout.News(redirect) in November 2015, and so on.
This has absolutely nothing to do with Adams being the founder and owner of the online store RangerGear.com, your source for "Quality, affordable prepping and survival gear of the highest possible quality [sic] personally tested by the Health Ranger" since November 2015. Nothing at all.
Temporary removal from Google
From around the 23rd of February 2017 naturalnews.com no longer appeared in Google search results. This is likely due to a sneaky redirect (for instance, the link in the mobile version in search results does not direct to the same address as the link in the desktop version). Predictably, Mike Adams flipped the table, shrieked, pulled his hair and accused Google as a bully, a pusher of hate speech, censor-happy, insane, hucksters for Big Pharma, killers (because they censor
quackery cancer cures), a danger to humanity, and whatever else one can imagine and expect from someone like Mike Adams. It is strange Mike Adams reacted this way; earlier, he had, after all, created his own goddamn search engine because he distrusted "mainstream" search engines. Sadly, naturalnews.com is now listed again in Google search results.
- The website itself
- NaturalNews Radio
- NaturalNews TV
- NewsTarget, the general news version of NaturalNews
- Sister site WakingScience.com
- The website "fda.news" is actually a NaturalNews outlet.
- GoodGopher, the
cranktruthseeker's search engine
- Orac has been documenting his insanity for years. A more specific page detailing his material on Adams can be found here.
- Mike Adams' take on Obamacare
- "Natural News: A Truly Deadly Brand of Pseudoscience", Neurobonkers, Big Think
- NaturalNews was formerly Newstarget, which is now a separate site.
- Mike Adams on Dr. Mehmet Oz's colon polyps: "Spontaneous" disease?
- Himalayan Bath Salts Will Not Save Your Life
- Special Report: The Legend of Mike Adams and the Reality (Thomas Corriher and Sarah Cain, The Health Wyze Report, 06 Feb 2013)
- Vaccine denial and woo:  and rebuttal          
- AIDS/HIV denialism:       
- Quack cancer treatments:              
- Big Pharma hysteria:    
- Scientology, anti-psychiatry quackery, and Mike Adams: It all becomes clear now, Orac, Respectful Insolence, June 23rd, 2011
- List of "Modern medicine news, articles and information"
- Video of Mike Adams claiming adults lived longer a century ago.
- Q & A: Are there any situations in which pharmaceuticals and medications are okay to use?
- Why doctors are more dangerous than guns - new Health Ranger investigation
- Obama turns doctors into gun control snitches running health care spy network
- Media & Press Information
- Rawpalooza - Discover the benefits of a raw food lifestyle
- Health Basics - What exactly is a raw food diet?
- Raw Food Diet: Enjoy Nutrition as Nature Designed
- Comparing Sweeteners?
- Artificial sweeteners and flavor enhancers are dangerous
- You have a choice: Sex or bread?
- List of red meat news, articles and information
- Health Ranger interviews neurosurgeon Dr. Russell Blaylock on MSG and brain-damaging excitotoxins
- The Facts About Pasteurization and Homogenization of Dairy Products
- Sodium fluoride exposed in new Health Ranger video; cities are poisoning their citizens with pesticide chemicals from China
- White flour promotes nutritional deficiencies and chronic disease
- Comprehensive research database offers global picture of harm caused by GMOs
- Your Laundry Detergent may be Hazardous to Your Health
- 12 Year Old Boy Killed by Deodorant Spray
- Popular shampoos contain toxic chemicals linked to nerve damage
- McDonald's Chicken McNuggets found to contain mysterious fibers, hair-like structures; Natural News Forensic Food Lab posts research photos, video(redirect)
- Part I: Evidence-Based Medicine is Not Exclusive of Alternative Medicine (Opinion)
- Quantum healing:   
- Quantum woo: 
- 'Blinded by Science' explores the power of vibrational energy and water in healing and wellness
- Shattering the false philosophy and junk science of conventional medicine
- The Germ Theory Hoax on the next NaturalNews Talk Hour
- Is Modern Medicine Founded on Error?
- Germ theory delusions collapse as new science reveals healthy people carry 10,000 different germ strains at all times
- If mainstream medicine really works, why are Americans so unhealthy? (Mike Adams, NaturalNews, 12 April 2010); point-by-point skeptical response.
- Whitney Houston yet another victim of pharmaceutical drug industry (UPDATE 2)
- Bernie Mac Another Casualty of Conventional Medicine?
- Timeline of celebrities killed by Big Pharma: Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson, Heath Ledger, Farrah Fawcett, Elvis and more
- Michael Jackson, Farrah Fawcett the Latest Celebrity Victims of Big Pharma
- Homeopathy dramatically more effective at preventing and treating whooping cough than allopathic medicine
- What the American Medical Association hopes you never learn about its true history
- Dentistry scams exposed: Mercury fillings and unnecessary dental surgery
- Health Ranger releases new infographic listing the top ten worst sources of aspartame
- Here's how you are being profoundly manipulated by political parlor tricks and media sleight of hand
- Thousands of Americans died from H1N1 even after receiving vaccine shots
- Vaccinated children have up to 500% more disease than unvaccinated children
- Six Easy Ways Detox in Our Toxic World
- Mike Adams explains how to “naturally detox” from mandatory vaccines. It backfires. by Orac (March 14, 2016) Respectful Insolence.
- Big Pharma Mind Control!
- AMA conspiracy against chiropractic
- Merck Committed Scientific Fraud in Delays, Distortions of Vytorin Drug Trial (opinion)
- HIV vaccines cause 50 percent false positive rate in HIV tests
- Mammograms cause breast cancer (and other cancer facts you probably never knew)
- Breast Cancer Rates Soar after Mammograms and Some Cancers may Heal Naturally
- Early Mammograms May Trigger Genetic Breast Cancer
- Women Remain Uninformed about the Hazards of Mammograms
- The Quackery of Chemotherapy, Gunpoint Medicine and the Disturbing Fate of 13-Year-Old Daniel Hauser, Mike Adams, Natural News May 20, 2009, retrieved 2011-05-21.
- Can You Trust Chemotherapy to Cure Your Cancer?
- The latest scummy tactic of altie med – blaming medicine for celebrity deaths by Mark Hoofnagle (August 22, 2008) Denialism Blog.
- Microsoft buys eugenics technology from Merck, becomes drug development partner with top global vaccine manufacturer
- Bill Gates funds technology to destroy your sperm
- How Angelina Jolie was duped by cancer doctors into self mutilation for breast cancer she never had, naturalnews.net
- The quack view of preventing breast cancer versus reality and Angelina Jolie, Respectful Insolence, scienceblogs.com
- E-Cat Cold fusion device independently validated producing 800% more energy than input, Neev M. Arnell, Natural News May 19, 2011, retrieved 2011-05-21.
- Free Energy Technology Could Destroy the Natural World (But It Doesn't Have To), Mike Adams, Natural News April 24,2011, retrieved 2011-05-21.
- They have a whole category for chemtrails, in fact
- Jumping rope and 9/11 truth - how the sheeple have been trained to avoid unpopular truth about WTC 7
- Obama birth certificate is just as authentic as the money supply, the food supply and Obamacare
- Sandy Hook fundraising relief page created 3 days before shooting, Google search results confirm
- This post puts much of his insanity on display in one place.
- David Icke on AIDS
- Five times in this article alone.
- Ron Paul articles
- Why Michael Moore's SiCKO is a health care documentary every American must see
- Global warming denialism:   
- Gun control hysteria:  
- Crazed Swordsman Attacks Scientology Guard Who Fires Back in Self Defense, Mike Adams, Natural News November 24, 2011, retrieved 2011-05-21.
- Baseless Accusations against John Travolta Demonstrate Cruelty, Intolerance of Pill Pushers and Religion Bashers, Mike Adams, Natural News January 5, 2011, retrieved 2011-05-21.
- Colorado Batman shooting shows obvious signs of being staged
- Total media blackout now under way on most likely suspects in Boston marathon bombing
- Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 now clearly a government cover-up: All evidence contradicts official story
- Extreme winter weather gives Northeast a taste of economic collapse
- As hurricane Irene heads for New York City, are you prepared? Choice quote: "There is hope in understanding that a great economic collapse is coming."
- 22 minutes of video woo; PZ Myers takes you through it.
- Obama birth certificate is just as authentic as the money supply, the food supply and Obamacare, Natural News, 28 April 2011 (as archived by archive.org on 30 April 2011)
-  Article updated with new message from the Health Ranger], NaturalNews
- An example of this insult to good cartooning.
- Listen if your ears dare.
- In a downward direction. To imprison us all (Mike Adams, NaturalNews, 25 January 2012)
- nexusnow.info forum: To Imprison Us all - a poem, by The Health Ranger - Mike Adams
- Mike Adams, the Alt Medicine Purveyor Who Calls himself the ‘Health Ranger,’ Threatens to Sue Forbes and Writer
- NaturalNews’ Mike Adams threatens Forbes, GLP for ‘libeling’ his ‘quack’ health empire
- Orac post
- Asshole Skeptic post
- His screed about the shorty awards
- Pharyngula's post about the incident
- Mike Adams thinks he knows what skeptics believe
- "For years, programmers have worked tirelessly to find ways to block spam e-mails. Some systems block based upon keywords, while others search for sentence patterns in e-mails that are typical of spam messages. Mike Adams and Arial Software have been working to find ways around this spam detection. Our research indicates that Arial Software is solely a spamware company, meaning that its software is designed primarily to aid spammers." Arial Software, Spam and Telemarketing (Healthwyze)
- "Yet this web site portrays that spam is a consistently profitable business, because some people actually purchase products that are advertised in spam e-mails. Mike wrote that it is this small population of people who truly bear responsibility for spam's continued existence. Mike Adams' anti-spam site appears to be created for the sole purpose of shifting blame from the responsible spammers onto the victims. The blame for spam should rightfully lie upon the spammers themselves, as well as those who promote and create specialized software for bypassing anti-spam security systems; companies such as Mike's own Arial Software." (HealthWyze)
- "Natural News introduces Ranger Gear, our new line of preparedness and survival products."(redirect)
- naturalnews.com has been removed from all Google search results! (23 Feb 2017) reddit.
- Gorski, D. (February 27, 2017). Google delists Mike Adams’ Natural News website. Was it because of fake news?. Science-based Medicine. Retrieved February 28, 2017.
- Gorski, D. (February 28, 2017) Twitter. Retrieved February 28, 2017