There is no RationalWiki without you. We are a small non-profit with no staff — we are hundreds of volunteers who document pseudoscience and crankery around the world every day. We will never allow ads because we must remain independent. We cannot rely on big donors with corresponding big agendas. We are not the largest website around, but we believe we play an important role in defending truth and objectivity.
If everyone seeing this today donates $5, we will meet our goal for 2018.
| Fighting pseudoscience isn't free.|
We are 100% user-supported! Help and donate $5, $20 or whatever you can today with !
| The fault in our stars|
Sakloth, or more properly, Sackcloth, is occasionally used as an alternative name for Planet X/Nibiru in doom-mongering YouTube videos. It is also a demonstration of how hilariously illiterate and ignorant some conspiracy theorists are.
The origin of the name lies in the attempts of some theorists to tie Biblical End Times prophecies to Planet X (or Planet X to Biblical End Times prophecies). The source is some lines in the Book of Revelation:
“”12. And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and, lo, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood;
13. And the stars of heaven fell unto the earth, even as a fig tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a mighty wind.
14. And the heaven departed as a scroll when it is rolled together; and every mountain and island were moved out of their places.15. And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains;
|—Revelation 6:12-15, KJV. Bold by RationalWiki.|
"Sackcloth" may refer to any rough cloth that sacks are made of. In this case, it refers specifically to rough fabric made from hair, which at that time was usually worn as a penance or expression of grief or mourning. (It is mentioned several times elsewhere in the Bible. You can also check in a dictionary.)
Apparently some Planet X believers decided that this refers to Planet X eclipsing the sun. Then someone challenged in the Reading Comprehension and Bible Studies departments took it further and decided that "Sackcloth" is actually the name of Planet X used in the Bible. Then the name was bastardized to Sackloth and Sakloth, which has a nice Mesopotamian ring to it, just like Nibiru.
- Nibiru - Sakloth - Its visible NOW (video), the YouTube video that may be responsible for the misspelling. (Check it out: chemtrails, the Rapture and giant tsunamis.) It inspired several threads in different conspiracy forums:
- THREE new planets photographed in the sky!! nibiru? eris? sackloth?, thread at Above Top Secret, started 22 November 2010
- Nibiru - Sakloth - Its visible NOW, thread at Godlike Productions, started 22 November 2010