|Style over substance|
“”In an interdisciplinary science like the Electric Universe, you could say we have no peers, so peer review is not available.
|—Wallace Thornhill |
"Electric Universe" (EU) is an umbrella term that covers various pseudo-scientific cosmological ideas built around the claim that the formation and existence of various features of the universe can be better explained by electricity and magnetism than by gravity alone. As a rule, EU is usually touted as an aether-based theory with numerous references to tall tales from Mythology. However, the exact details and claims are ambiguous, lack mathematical formalism, and often vary from one delusional crank to the next.
 EU advocates
EU advocates can be roughly split into two groups: garden-variety physics cranks who are convinced that they have a legitimate revolutionary scientific theory, and various woo-peddlers who use EU claims to prop up their main ideas (because mainstream physics would blow them apart). One subset of the latter comprises some of the more loony global warming deniers (such as Vault-Co), who try to use it to "prove" that climate change is being caused by some process outside human control; the latter particularly like the theories of Pierre-Marie Robitaille.
 EU conferences
Each year the Electric Universe holds their annual EU conference, where a seemingly endless parade of misguided fools take to the stage and discuss mythology, homeopathy, dipole gravity, and other equally absurd nonsense. The only common thread is the notion that a conspiracy is afoot to suppress their oddball beliefs. The conferences are open to the public, provided you cough up the $395 price of admission.
Immanuel Velikovsky (1895–1979) was an enthusiastic early adopter of electric universe ideas, seeing in them a possible mechanism to explain his hypothesis of a violent rearranging of the solar system as recently as a few thousand years ago, and that Earth had previously been a satellite of Saturn. Velikovsky’s influence still looms large and has become an integral part of the current Electric Universe dogma. EU figureheads Wallace Thornhill and David Talbott are staunch supporters of Velikovsky’s mythological-based fairy tales and often pay tribute to the enormous influence he has had on shaping their own far-fetched theories.
- Einstein's postulates are wrong.
- General Relativity (GR) is wrong.
- The universe is not expanding.
- The electric force travels faster than the speed of light with near infinite velocity.
- Gravity has two poles like a bar magnet; dipole gravity.
- A plenum of neutrinos forms an all-pervasive aether.
- Planets give birth to comets.
- Stars do not shine because of internal nuclear fusion caused by gravitational collapse. Rather, they are anodes for galactic discharge currents.
- Impact craters on Venus, Mars and the Moon are not caused by impacts, but by electrical discharges. The same applies to the Valles Marineris (a massive canyon on Mars) and the Grand Canyon on Earth.
- The Sun is negatively charged, and the solar wind is positively charged -- the two systems forming a giant capacitor (this is James McCanney's particular erroneous belief.)
- EU proponents from the Thunderbolts Project claim to have predicted the natures of Pluto and Comet 67P more accurately than NASA or ESA.
Most Electric Universe proponents claim some kind of relation to the "plasma cosmology" of the Nobel Prize laureate Hannes Alfvén. Too bad his model was rendered obsolete by the missing observations of the radio emission predicted by his cosmology.
A common motif is the insistence that all science should be done in a laboratory — an attempt to throw away gravity from the very beginning, because one can't put a solar system or a galaxy in a laboratory.
 SAFIRE Project
The International Science Foundation (a front group of EU supporters who falsely claim to neither support nor oppose the Electric Universe hypothesis) says that they provided $2,200,000 USD to fund a laboratory experiment to test the Electric Universe claims regarding the nature of the sun. There is no independent analysis of their work and no publications about SAFIRE found on Google Scholar. The SAFIRE Project is housed in Mississauga, Ontario. and is documented in videos  from the EU2016 conference. They say that their intent is to compare the results of this experiment to the results of NASA's Solar Probe Plus mission, and thereby demonstrate whether the EU solar model has any grounding in reality.
- Dealing with Creationism in Astronomy, Tom Bridgman's blog that deals with Electric Universe claims along with other things (posts labeled Electric Universe)
- Electric Universe category at the Exposing PseudoAstronomy blog
- Electric Universe Theory debunked, a blog entry which discusses 5 major claims by EU
- Electric Universe Theory, RIP: New Discovery of Why Sun's Corona is Hot, thread at Above Top Secret
- On The Electric Sun Hypothesis, Tim Thompson -- physicist formerly employed at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL)
- An Antidote To Velikovskian Delusions, Leroy Ellenberger
- The Electric Universe, Wallace Thornhill's website
- Thunderbolts Forum, probably the most popular EU advocate website, run by David Talbott
- Electric Cosmos (by Donald E. Scott, Ph.D. (Electrical Engineering))
- The Electric Universe, László Körtvélyessy's website
 See also
- ↑ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-difference-between-science-and-pseudoscience/
- ↑ http://qhwiki.com/video:eu-nov-2014-wal-thornhill
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7EAlTcZFwY
- ↑ http://www.sjcrothers.plasmaresources.com/
- ↑ https://www.thunderbolts.info/wp/2015/01/31/eu2015-home-page/
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5zyElJrAGI&list=PLpWsAr1Jo6PFstB8EKdcIo3tq4G8WeWKO
- ↑ http://www.redicecreations.com/specialreports/2005/08aug/electricuniverse.html
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 http://www.holoscience.com/wp/electric-gravity-in-an-electric-universe/
- ↑ http://www.holoscience.com/wp/a-nobel-prize-for-the-dark-side/
- ↑ http://www.holoscience.com/wp/a-nobel-prize-for-the-dark-side/
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkWiBxWieQU
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iky2k8MtMno
- ↑ http://electric-cosmos.org/sun.htm
- ↑ http://www.electric-cosmos.org/planets.htm
- ↑ http://www.holoscience.com/views/view_mars.htm
- ↑ https://www.thunderbolts.info/wp/2015/09/29/electrical-geology-of-pluto-and-comet-67p/
- ↑ https://www.thunderbolts.info/wp/2015/08/30/predictions-for-comet-science-after-rosetta/
- ↑ The Electric Sky, Short-Circuited (archived 2015-04-16), page 2:
- This loss of interest was very possibly the result of the all-sky microwave maps of COBE and later WMAP, which exhibited no evidence of radio emission from these galaxyforming currents.
- ↑ https://www.thunderbolts.info/wp/2015/11/01/montgomery-childs-safire-project-update-eu2015/ at 5:20 in the video.
- ↑ http://isciencefoundation.org/safire/
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K_GBBspZjs
- ↑ http://solarprobe.gsfc.nasa.gov/
- ↑ https://www.thunderbolts.info/wp/2015/11/01/montgomery-childs-safire-project-update-eu2015/
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwylwL9KnjU