Archives for this talk page: <1>, <2>, <3>, <4>, <5>, <6>, <7>, <8>, <9>, <10>, <11>
 Herein goeth anything regarding the technicalities of the wiki
FAQs & Problems:
- Problems with accessing the wiki
- Queries about extensions
- CSS Help
- Wikitalk Help
If you've written, or are using, some extension or script that either might give others problems or is giving you a problem, then either describe it or link to it on this page.
If you've written some piece of code that you want help with, ask here with linkage.
If your browser acts up with some code,ask here.
In short, anything techy, ask, tell or link on this page.
If you think it is a server-type issue, feel free to email the goat at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com for best results.
 "Dox in a box"
I made this account a few days ago and didn't really do anything with it. Today I tried to add my entry to the How I found RationalWiki page and my edit was immediately flagged as "harmful" for "dox in a box". The content of my edit was
- Someone said "deepity" on reddit. Google landed me here. I have since been addicted like crack.
If I can post that here, but not on the other page, what's going on?
 Citation template problem
I copied a reference from Wikipedia which uses Template:Cite journal. If you look at the reference, it gives a citation error (linking to Template:Citation error; maybe we should copy that over?). Looking at the list of used templates in the edit window, it looks to me like the cause might be that Template:Cite journal wants Template:Str left, which we don't have. But I'm not completely sure since I'm not a template expert, so I thought I'd have someone else look at it. Also I don't know the procedure for copying over templates from Wikipedia; do we use Special:Import? --Ymir (talk) 18:13, 30 December 2014 (UTC)
- If you want to copy a template over, just copy the wikitext over to an equivalently-named template here. Note that we do not have Lua here yet, so any more recent WP templates that have been converted to Lua won't work on RW - David Gerard (talk) 18:32, 30 December 2014 (UTC)
 Safari 6.1.6 & Recent Changes
Safari 6.1.6 is not working with Recent Changes - it hangs the entire site. Everything else works on RW for me - editing, etc. - but when I click on Recent Changes, the browser blanks and never refreshes. If I close the window and try to navigate back to just rationalwiki.org, that is blank too. Moving to a non-rw webpage makes Safari work again, and then I can return to rw. This problem with Recent Changes does not happen in Chrome on the same computer. Hmmm? DogP (talk) 18:24, 9 January 2015 (UTC)
- This briefly happened to me desktop and iOS with certain combinations of OS and Safari. From Apple, as a first try:
- From your Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Privacy tab.
- Click: Remove All Website Data
- Then delete the cache.
- Open a Finder window. From the Finder menu bar click Go > Go to Folder
- Type or copy paste the following
- Click Go then move the Cache.db file to the Trash.
- Quit and relaunch Safari to test.
- In network preferences,meet your DNS servers to a free open server if they're pointing to your ISP's or vice versa.
If that doesn't work, post a screenshot of the network panel from the developer console and see if any part of the DOM is loading and whether you can download CSS and .js files. David, did you guys turn on file compression when traffic was intermittently overwhelming last year? When I was trying to figure this out, it looked like Safari was unable to unzip some files getting served up by the new load balancer system. Nutty Roux (talk) 19:52, 9 January 2015 (UTC)
- The real answer is probably MediaWiki 1.23. I need to get onto rationalbeta again ... - David Gerard (talk) 22:37, 9 January 2015 (UTC)
- I think it's Apache. There's some discussion of similar problems on stackoverflow mentioning Apache chunk encoding and browsers having trouble with zero file sizes. Is compression enabled on one load balancer but not the other? Does one load balancer handle cached stuff and the other dynamically generated pages? Nutty Roux (talk) 23:46, 9 January 2015 (UTC)
 Intercom notice about the Board of Trustees nomination
- *bump* --ZooGuard (talk) 07:14, 19 January 2015 (UTC)
I figured it out and left instructions for you on your talkpage. Let me know if you want me to do it instead, or if you have any other issues along the way to sending it out. Noisemobile (talk) 07:33, 19 January 2015 (UTC)
- Thank you. I'll try posting a notice about the nominations. Apparently I'll also have to write a help page about using the Intercom.--ZooGuard (talk) 14:33, 19 January 2015 (UTC)
- Ugh, apparently I can't post in the "Site wide (urgent)" group, only "General site news" and the other groups, even though I have checked it in "Configure groups" - it just doesn't appear in the drop-down list. I think one needs to have "tech" rights to post in that one.--ZooGuard (talk) 14:40, 19 January 2015 (UTC)