Black first got started in the white power movement in high school, when he began to pass out racist newspapers and fliers. Black traveled to Georgia to help the gubernatorial campaign of segregationist J.B. Stoner. Jerry Ray, brother of Martin Luther King's assassin, James Earl Ray, shot 16-year old Black with a .38 revolver after he caught Black stealing files from Stoner's office.
Black then moved to Birmingham, Alabama and joined the Knights of the Ku Klux Klan and slowly worked his way up the ranks until he was elected Grand Wizard in 1978, following the resignation of David Duke.
Four years later, in 1981, Black and nine other men, all with neo-Nazi ties or sympathies, tried to overthrow the 300-square-mile Caribbean island of Dominica in what was known as Operation Red Dog. The group was arrested as they were loading firearms and explosives into the boat they planned to sail to Dominica with.
The plot, which Black alleges was to establish an anti-Communist government on the predominately black island, included installing ex-Dominican Prime Minister Patrick John. The Prosecution argued it was an effort to set up a gambling operations reminiscent of 1950s Cuba. While in prison, he began to learn computer programming, which would eventually lead to the creation of Stormfront. Black was released from prison in 1984 and resigned from the KKK three years later.
 UK reaction
- The Racist Next Door
- White supremacist spreads views on net
- Various other newspaper clippings about Black, hosted on Stormfront.
- ↑ He is a white supremacist... and his last name is Black. Yes.
- ↑ Stoner once described Hitler as "too moderate". So... yeah.
- ↑ "Stoner called me up and I went back down to Savannah. Then, when I got in that shooting thing, when Don Black, the Nazi guy, belonged to the Nazi Party … tried to burglarize the place and I shot him." From an interview with Jerry Ray.
- ↑ The Feds confiscated eight Bushmaster machine guns, ten shotguns, five rifles, ten handguns, ten pounds of dynamite, 5426 rounds of ammunition, and a large red-and-black Nazi flag. 
- ↑ http://disclosure.nictusa.com/cgi-bin/dcdev/forms/C00432914/307525/sa/17A/10
- ↑ http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8033060.stm