Help us beat last year's record of $7100!
Awesome! We are half way to our goal!
|Goal: $7,200||Donations so far: $6687.20|
We are 100% user-supported! Help and donate today!
|The dismal "science"|
|More about economics|
Paul Krugman is a Nobel Prize-winning economist and columnist for The New York Times. He is a Keynesian/social democrat who favors global free trade and criticized the Obama Administration for crafting an economic stimulus bill that was too modest to be effective. He opposes farm and ethanol subsidies and populist protectionism (of the sort espoused by Lou Dobbs and Pat Buchanan) and is a fierce critic of supply side economics. Conservatives, of course, view him as a mouthpiece for the liberal socialist agenda. He gets most of his facts right too. Unfortunately, while an economic expert, he is not the best at public speaking, once even losing in a debate with Ron Paul because he was unable to respond properly on live television.
Some people with their sarcasm detectors turned off believe that Krugman is insane because of a 1978 paper he wrote on "interstellar economics." This is actually a parody if you can't tell after reading the first few lines. It is generally agreed upon that cranky Krugman is the best Krugman.
 Hate him? Let's strawman!
“”To fight this recession the Fed needs more than a snapback; it needs soaring household spending to offset moribund business investment. And to do that, as Paul McCulley of Pimco put it, Alan Greenspan needs to create a housing bubble to replace the Nasdaq bubble. Judging by Mr. Greenspan's remarkably cheerful recent testimony, he still thinks he can pull that off.
 See also
- Economic inequality
- Post-Keynesian economics - Krugman is a near-perfect example of the difference between New Keynesians and Post-Keynesians, as seen in his scuffles with MMTers/chartalists.
- Very Serious People - Popularized the term.
- David Brooks - His sworn enemy.
- Krugman's blog at the Times
- The Theory of Interstellar Trade
- Krugman funnies on Noahpinion
- Here Are 5 Things Paul Krugman Says He Got Wrong Over The Years, Business Insider
- ↑ Forbes calls him "the socialist laureate." (So free trade is now socialist, apparently.)
- ↑ PolitiFact on Krugman
- ↑ On the Uselessness of Debates, The New York Times
- ↑ "This research was supported by a grant from the Committee to Re-Elect William Proxmire."
- ↑ According to Ezra Klein
- ↑ Paul Krugman is Tired of Trying to Reason with You People, Brad DeLong
- ↑ Me, Myself, and Abe, The New York Times
- ↑ Me and the Bubble, The New York Times
- ↑ The full quote