Pi is a most interesting character, as it is a (Greek) letter and a number. As a number, pi is exactly 3.
- 1 Pi is a letter
- 2 No, it's a number
- 3 You're both wrong! It's a user
- 4 Apple pie
- 5 Math pie
- 6 Statistical pie
- 7 Pie
- 8 Pie are squared
- 9 Pizza π
- 10 Eskimo Pi
- 11 Raspberry Pi
- 12 Pi in popular culture
- 13 Pi as body modification
- 14 Irrationality
- 15 Transcendence
- 16 Primal pi
- 17 Pi as an IED
- 18 Legally pi
- 19 πsexual
- 20 Biblically knowing pi
- 21 The best pi related joke in the world ever
- 22 Who ate all the pi?
- 23 Pi Day
- 24 Pibald
- 25 See also
- 26 External links
- 27 Notes
Pi is a letter
Pi, spelled "Π", or pi, "π", or "", is the twelveteenth or so letter of the Greek alphabet, and features prominently in the names of several fraternities and sororities. It's also pronounced 'pea' not 'pie'
No, it's a number
“”How I want a drink, alcoholic of course, after the heavy lectures involving quantum mechanics
|—Sir James Jeans|
As a number, π can be anywhere from three to 22/7. It represents the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter. π looks like a table, and pi is often found in tables.
- In non-Euclidean states, it is usually agreed upon to be exactly three, which then defines the curvature of their local space-time continuum. Circles become hexagons in places where pi is 3.
- For standardized tests, like the GRE or GMAT, you just need to remember "more than 3". That's it.
- For quick work, 22/7 will do just fine.
- For government work, 355/113 (3.1415929) is close enough.
- Anywhere from 2.6 to 3.9 is close enough for Rock'n'Roll.
- If you want to land on an asteroid and not miss it by thousands of miles, it is best to use 3.1415926536 in your calculations.
- A more exact value is 3. 1415926535 8979323846 2643383279 5028841971 6939937510 5820974944 5923078164 0628620899 8628034825 3421170679 8214808651 3282306647 0938446095 5058223172 5359408128 4811174502 8410270193 8521105559 6446229489 5493038196 4428810975 6659334461 2847564823 3786783165 2712019091 4564856692 3460348610 4543266482 1339360726 0249141273 7245870066 0631558817 4881520920 9628292540 9171536436 7892590360 0113305305 4882046652 1384146951 9415116094 3305727036 5759591953 0921861173 8193261179 3105118548 0744623799 6274956735 1885752724 8912279381 8301194912 9833673362 4406566430 8602139494 6395224737 1907021798 6094370277 0539217176 2931767523 8467481846 7669405132 0005681271 4526356082 7785771342 7577896091 7363717872 1468440901 2249534301 4654958537 1050792279 6892589235 4201995611 2129021960 8640344181 5981362977 4771309960 5187072113 4999999837 2978049951 0597317328 1609631859 5024459455 3469083026 4252230825 3344685035 2619311881 7101000313 7838752886 5875332083 8142061717 7669147303 5982534904 2875546873 1159562863 8823537875 9375195778 1857780532 1712268066 1300192787 6611195909 2164201989 
- For the ambitious, the following can be used:
though it is very slow. Try
if you're short for time.
You're both wrong! It's a user
While in trigonometry, Pi are squared, all English majors know that pie are actually round.
Apple pie bed
An apple pie bed is a bed with a crust that can't be opened. Or something. It is much like a four-poster bed, but with only 3.14 posters.
Mathematical pie, or πe is roughly equal to 8.539734223, and is most often used for celebrations when people acquire a Ph.D. in Mathematics.
Similar to Σ, Π multiplies each number within a sequence, resulting in a single product.
Pie are squared
This is most commonly seen with Minecraftian pumpkin pies.
My favorite πzza was a Chicago-style pizza joint in Oklahoma City in the 1970s and early 1980s. It was yummy.
Unfortunately, the πzza at Sam and Louie's has an a-value smaller than the thickness of paper,but it is still yummy.
A very tasty chocolate covered ice cream bar. Comes on two sticks.
A computer that can be built with a kit. Is smaller than your average computer. DOES NOT CONTAIN RASPBERRIES, AND IS NOT EDIBLE - unlike .
Pi in popular culture
American Pi was a movie about four American high-school mathematicians who turned economics into a board game that requires all players to czech-mate.
Dean Martin popularised π in his 1953 hit That's Amore
- When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza π
- That's amore
When come back, bring π!
MMM...floor π! --Homer Simpson
π was the title of an independent movie in the late 1990s by Darren Aronofsky. Sadly, the movie was about a number other than π.
The television series Twin Peaks frequently displayed the wonders of π.
A sign at the Springfield graveyard in The Simpsons exhorts passersby to "Come for the funeral, stay for the π".
The book and movie Life of π are about a kid named Piscine, who shortens his name to Pi because otherwise it sounds too much like "pissing". Oh, and he's stuck on a raft with a tiger.
Pi as body modification
If you want to be the hardest kid in your university's math department, tattoo pi to one hundred places on your arm. My friend did it, true story.
Fun and functional, as you'll have a quick and easy reference if, for whatever reason, you need to recite pi past the three or so places you learned in junior high.
π is an irrational number, and should not be trusted! It just goes on and on! Some call it the ANTICHRIST, ohh, yea I pulled that card.
π is a transcendental number, which is something to meditate on.
The first 38 digits of Pi (omitting the decimal point) 31415926535897932384626433832795028841 form a prime number!
Pi as an IED
In 1898 the Indiana House of Representatives unsuccessfully attempted to establish a legal value for pi(3.2), since its actual value was "wholly wanting and misleading," much like the Indiana House of Representatives itself.
The ratio of someone's proclaimed sexuality to their sexual history. For example: for about every 3 straight sexual acts committed, 1 was arguably gay. This can apply to all sexualities, so no one is safe. Alternatively, it's someone too fat to get laid. Or someone doing like that dude in "American Pie". You know - the sex thing.
Biblically knowing pi
1 Kings 7:23
And he made a molten sea, ten cubits from the one brim to the other: it was round all about, and his height was five cubits: and a line of thirty cubits did compass it round about.
2 Chronicles 4:2
Also he made a molten sea of ten cubits from brim to brim, round in compass, and five cubits the height thereof; and a line of thirty cubits did compass it round about.
What do you get when you divide the circumference of a pig by its diameter?
Who ate all the pi?
- Mark Viduka
- Jabba The Hutt
- Kirsty Alley
- Mary Harney
- Oprah Winfrey
- Frank Lampard
- Agent J and Agent K
Pi Day is every year, 14th March at 15:09:26, except in Europe where it takes place on the 3rd of February the following year. March 14th is also Albert Einstein's birthday.
In my opinion, Mikhail Gorbachev is πbald.
- Pi to ten thousand digits
- Pi in binary to 32768 digits
- Pi to one million digits - Very large page! Enter at your own risk!
- The pi string searcher - find your birthday! Stalk your friends' street addresses!
- Pi may not be the best.
- Someone gets it ;)
- For the whole story see Indiana Pi Bill.
- In terms of real-world utility, π to this precision would quite handily enable a space probe to spend several billion years or so travelling from Earth to a specific planet of a specific star in the Andromeda galaxy, and land unerringly. Assuming, of course, that we knew a specific planet of a specific star in the Andromeda galaxy existed, knew its orbital motions to great precision, knew the motions of its parent star around the galaxy's centre to great precision, and were able to accurately project them over several billion years of future time. Which we don't, we don't, we don't, and we can't, because of the essentially chaotic nature of the n-body problem with n > 2.