Tom Harkin (b. 1939) is the former Democratic Senator from Iowa (1985-2014) and the former Representative for Iowa's fifth district (1975-1985). Harkin is known for being a staunch liberal and, at the same time, a promoter of quackery. He helped push through landmark legislation like the Americans with Disabilities Act and ran for president in 1992.
Harkin has been caught lying about the extent of his military service. He has claimed at various points to have been a pilot in the Navy serving in Vietnam and Cuba. He was, in fact, a Navy pilot, but never served in either theater.
 Alternative medicine
Harkin is a major woo-meister and advocate of alternative medicine. He was a major force behind the institution of the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM). He has used such "experts" as Andrew Weil and Dr. Oz to testify at Senate hearings. He also tried to slip some quackery into Barack Obama's health care bill. Want to know why the Quack Miranda Warning exists? Harkin was the one who proposed the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act of 1994 which enabled it in the first place.
- ↑ Harkin will not seek reelection in 2014.
- ↑ Aug. 18, 2004, Instapundit (Read the whole thing. Heh. Indeed.)
- ↑ Senator Tom Harkin: NCCAM has fallen short because it hasn't validated enough woo, Respectful Insolence
- ↑ Harkin's War on Science, White Coat Underground
- ↑ Senator Tom Harkin Pulls a Fast One, Respectful Insolence