Help us beat last year's record of $7100!
Awesome! We are half way to our goal!
|Goal: $7,200||Donations so far: $7097.32|
We are 100% user-supported! Help and donate today!
|Someone is wrong on|
The European Union Times claims to be a news site. Its articles on Barack Obama have been linked from a few Libertarian Tea Party blogs, presumably pleased to find what is apparently a news site that supports some of their views. It even has lots of mainstream advertising served by ContextWeb! Eminently respectable to all appearances.
Upon closer inspection, however, it is little more than a compiler and regurgitator of various news stories and a particularly unpleasant far-right-leaning blog. The reporting is, without exception, shockingly unprofessional. Do not be fooled by the nice WordPress theme — this is utter neo-Nazi bollocks.
Examples of xenophobic, anti-Semitic and racist bias abound. Note, for example, how many article titles unnecessarily point out the ethnicity of people accused of carrying out crimes. Note also the sheer amount of articles relating to Israel or Jewish people in general. More bias? Here, have a load of nonsensical Obama bashing.
 Mindless propagation of idiocy
In addition to the raging xenophobia, the European Union Times strays deeply into tinfoil hat territory. For example, it regularly re-publishes the hilarious "reports" of "Sorcha Faal", which means that it is either subscribed (i.e., paying) for the Sorcha Faal feed, or close to the original source. If you see a headline that is really "out there" (for example, US Earthquake Weapon Test Fails Again, Destroys New Zealand City), scroll to the bottom and have a look at the "Source" link. If it points to whatdoesitmean.com, it's the handwork of "Sorcha". (That article also contains a massive research fail — it quotes the Russian Space Forces command (VKS) as its source, but the link "VKS" leads to the site of a Russian industrial company, VKS.ru!) The EUTimes has also re-published material from Pravda Online, another site dedicated to conspiracy theories, such as a 2010 article about alien spaceships attacking Earth in 2012. It's unclear if they actually believe this stuff or they just think that their readers are gullible morons.
For a supposedly Europe-centric news site, it is interesting to see how many of the stories have absolutely nothing to do with Europe, but instead report on American matters (see aforementioned Obama conspiracy pandering). If the title wasn't enough, the site's About section offers no concrete information at all. No staff list, no address, no history, nothing. What it does do is claim that this shitbubble of a site is "an international newspaper based in Europe [emphasis added] with operational branches in America and Canada". Interestingly, the domain name is very much not registered in Europe.
With all of the above taken into consideration, the political affiliation (and indeed geographical location) of the site's creators is perhaps not surprising. Oh, and they happily 'quote' David Duke.
 Quality as a source
Almost every piece of information the site proffers about the world and, more worryingly, itself, is a demonstrably deliberate falsehood. Anyone who takes the site seriously, despite the evidence of its utter unreliability and lunatic views which springs to the eye almost immediately upon visiting it, is either a Nazi, a blind ideologue or a complete idiot.
Note: Some of the pages below have been changed since the access date. Click on the small img links for screenshots of the versions as of the listed access dates, as discussed above.
- ↑ Black man struck two women with aluminum bat and robbed them in Bucktownimg (European Union Times, 2010-04-25), accessed 2010-05-31
- ↑ Black Couple Smashes Cops Head With a Cinder Block and Runs Over Himimg [apostrophe missing from title in original] (European Union Times, 2010-04-25), accessed 2010-05-31
- ↑ Jewish man from Florida is charged with $880 million Ponzi that bilked New Jersey investorsimg (European Union Times, 2010-04-22), accessed 2010-05-31
- ↑ Israeli troops shoot protesters at Gaza demoimg (European Union Times, 2010-04-24), accessed 2010-05-31
- ↑ Five Israelis charged with organ traffickingimg (European Union Times, 2010-04-22), accessed 2010-05-31
- ↑ Entire US Government Said Knows Obama Ineligible For Officeimg (European Union Times, 2010-04-25), accessed 2010-05-31
- ↑ Obama’s eligibility to be Commander in Chief called into question by US Army officerimg (European Union Times, 2010-04-23), accessed 2010-05-31
- ↑ ADL Calls For Major Law Enforcement Operation To Deal With Obamacare Criticsimg (European Union Times, 2010-04-22), accessed 2010-05-31 — with bonus Jew-baiting!
- ↑ US Earthquake Weapon Test Fails Again, Destroys New Zealand Cityimg (European Union Times, 2011-02-23), accessed 2011-02-28
- ↑ Three giant spaceships to attack Earth in 2012?img (European Union Times, 2010-12-22); accessed 2012-02-19
- ↑ About: About usimg (European Union Times), accessed 2010-05-31
- ↑ WHOIS Results for eutimes.netimg (Network Solutions WHOIS), accessed 2010-05-31
- ↑ Racist Skinhead’s Wife Behind European ‘News’ Websiteimg (Larry Keller, Southern Poverty Law Center Hatewatch blog, 2009-12-16), accessed 2010-05-31
- ↑ Jewish Professor Says Porn Industry is a Weapon used by Jews Against Gentilesimg (European Union Times, 2008-04-04), accessed 2010-08-14