|Someone is wrong on|
Originally used as a term to describe second identities, it is now used for any account created exclusively to cause
spam mischief or mayhem at a site without the original user being identified (IP recognition and blocking notwithstanding).
The name has also led to sites that generate such users being referred to as a "sock drawer." Clever, that.
The reasons for sock puppetry can include:
- Rigging voting results (Modern Library, anyone?)
- Rigging discussions by creating a sockpuppet who "agrees" with your argument)
- Rigging discussions by creating a sockpuppet who makes deliberately extreme or moronic (usually strawman) arguments against your own view.
- Maintaining a separate identity for privacy reasons
- LANCB - but returning under an assumed sock
All of the subscribers to the Howtheworldworks channel.