|The Atheist's Guide To|
|More about atheism|
|It doesn't stop at the water's edge:|
|Philosophies and terms|
“”I think we should give the guy who raped you a medal. I hope you fucking drown in rape semen, you ugly, mean-spirited cow.
|—The Amazing Atheist|
TheAmazingAtheist (also Terroja Lee Kincaid or Thomas "TJ" Kirk) is an atheist vlogger known for his aggressive style. Originally, he attacked creationist arguments with a tone that people on both sides of the debate sometimes found objectionable. More recently, he's adopted a virulently anti-feminist stance and expanded his social criticism, and, to put it bluntly, become an asshole. As a result, much of the skeptic community considers him a detriment to the cause and distance themselves, while others (in particular MRAs and NRxionaries) defend him.
 YouTube history
As of January 2016, Kirk has over 750,000 subscribers and 250 million views.
Kirk joined YouTube in November 2006. He made some enemies such as jezuzfreek777 and VenomFangX, although he does have respect for the former. His extensive use of profanity led to the temporary suspension of his account in early 2009. Kirk made a video denouncing Paul Broun for his views on evolution.
Kirk also organized a group called The Atheist Scum United, whose purpose was to take the fight to Christianity's doorstep by making videos in a basement. However, this soon fell apart due to arguments between the members.
In 2009, he also began making some entertainment videos. In 2010, he started a series of interviews with the literary critic Howard Bloom. Later that year, his friend Cody Weber, a.k.a. SaturnineFilms, became his cameraman and director, until their collaboration ended in October 2011. He has been doing a mix of religious, sociopolitical and entertainment videos ever since.
Many of his old videos were archived on the fan-run YouTube channels TheAmazingAtheism (mostly before 2010) and TheAmazingArchivist (before 2012). However, some of the videos have since been removed by YouTube for "repeated or severe violations of our Community Guidelines and/or claims of copyright infringement."
Some of his more notable original vidoes:
- "Justin Bieber Sucks": a scathing criticism of Justin Bieber and the Bieber phenomenon. This video has led to a tsunami of hatemail from Justin Bieber fans, as shown in his video "Justin Bieber Trolls."
- "15 inch penis": a report on how TJ pretended to be a housewife in an internet chat room and his observations of sexual behavior on the internet.
- "Penetrating Teenage Girls' Brains": One of several videos TJ made about the inanity of teenage girl magazines.
- "Racist Fail: Pwnage": TJ shames a white supremacist who sent him a letter, and refutes his logical fallacies.
- "God Sucks": TJ lays out an argument that questions the fairness of the Judaeo-Christian God's judgement in the afterlife.
- "Jesus: Miracles Fail": TJ questions the magnificence of Jesus' supposed miracles.
- "Bricks": a parody commercial selling all-purpose bricks. He made a sequel.
- "RE:Why Homosexuality Is Against God's Will": a satiric response to Jesusophile's video. Apparently, TJ created homosexuality.
- "PWNED: Stupidest YouTuber Ever": TJ loses his mind attempting to refute a YouTuber who claims that he is a Satanist and that Mario is real, among other things.
- "America: Mosque or Mausoleum?": TJ refutes Pat Condell's objections with the Ground Zero Mosque.
- "Teens AGAINST PORN": TJ exhaustively refutes a long list of reasons why porn is supposedly bad.
- "Homosexuality: Unnatural?": TJ refutes the position that homosexuality is unnatural by explaining that nothing is unnatural.
 On politics and society
Kirk previously espoused libertarian doctrines such as "personal responsibility"; however, after his father died in January 2008 and he saw people queuing for the emergency room, he began to make a shift to liberalism, believing that social programs are sometimes necessary to help the needy. The focus of his videos gradually expanded to address political and social issues. He has also deleted some of the older videos from his libertarian period, because he feels that they no longer accurately represent him.
Kirk has spoken out virulently against the idea of white guilt as perpetrated by modern conservatives. Kirk also trashed the shitfest over Star Wars VII's featuring of a black character, which racists decried as white genocide.
In 2012, Kirk launched a campaign to raise funds for an organization that works to bring clean water to those who need it. He set out to reach a goal of $10,000; in total, the campaign raised $12,765.
One controversial video is "Bullies," where he expressed the view that "being a bully doesn't make you a monster, and being bullied doesn't make you a victim," and called suicidal bullying victims "weak." This led to a very mixed reaction amongst his audience; he responded to the intense criticism with a follow-up video, "Macho Trolling."
This caring, empathetic attitude was again revealed in his treatment of the story of Amanda Todd, a teenage girl who committed suicide in October 2012, not long after posting a video on Youtube detailing her story of being subjected to a sustained campaign of blackmail, stalking and bullying. Upon hearing of Amanda's suicide, Kirk posted a picture on his Tumblr blog of him holding a sign, similar to the manner in which Amanda Todd did in her video, saying "I am the other hundreds of thousands of people who died today other than Amanda fucking Todd." A subsequent post had him dismissing her in light of unnamed people who died in "far worse" situations:
|And unlike Amanda, ... these people died against their will. They fought with their last ounce of courage to survive, and they still died. I find their deaths more worthy of tribute than some spoiled teenage girl that offed herself at the first sign of adversity.|
That said, in Kirk posted a video in June 2013 in defense of Coy Mathis, a transgender girl who was being bullied online by conservative websites for having won a court case giving her the right to use the girl's bathroom.
Kirk hates vegetarianism and has devoted several videos to attacking it. He has stated that a morality that does not account for human nature is flawed, and has expressed annoyance at "the way that a simple dietary choice is elevated to this great moral decision". He has gone as far as to accuse most vegans of feigning their ideology in order to appear unique and holier-than-thou.
By 2016 he has announced that he is no more a vegetarian, and that he didn't enjoy it.
He believes that sexuality is a "noble" aspect of the human condition, and that it should not be treated with fear. According to Kirk, true variety of human sexual experiences includes consensual polygamy, incest (when children are not produced), and cannibalism [!], and asserts that prohibitions against these acts stems from religious dogma or as a result of evolutionary pressures since polygamy and incest decrease the gene pool.
Kirk thinks that everybody should have the right to do anything they want within the realm of consent, as long as it doesn't infringe upon the freedoms of anyone else. This includes ogling at women. He does not explain how the woman consents to being leered at. He derides "feminists" and "sex positive" as being anti-sex for daring to dictate when or where he may stare at women. Again, how this aligns with his views on consent is anyone's guess.
I agree with all that. Having pedophilic attractions doesn't mean you automatically go out and start molesting kids. From the time I was 14 to the time I was about 19, I used to have extreme pedophilic fantasies, and I somehow managed to never even come close to acting on them. I think with my brain, not my penis.
I do think, however, the pedophilia is unfairly persecuted in today's society.
I think the difference in punishment between child rapists and child molestors should be more significant, with molestors perhaps simply attending mandatory therapy for their first offense. I also think that the age of sexual consent should be lowered to 12 or 13.
My stance is not designed to be controversial or to offend anyone. I only want human beings to understand that the law must work within the parameters of human nature, not in defiance of it.
Kirk has argued that female supremacy is feminism's real agenda, which is doubtful. He once compared feminism to the KKK, also suggesting that it had regressed into something pitiable, much like the KKK, and then proceeded to apologize... to the KKK. In this, he falls into the predictable MRA trap of decrying feminism as a big, scary movement which is simultaneously (and paradoxically) ineffectual and lame.
Kirk characterizes the modern feminist movement as being overly politically correct, insensitive to men, and seems to believe that Tumblr represents some gigantic central hub of the feminist hivemind. He has made numerous videos claiming society is biased against men via tenuous-at-best examples. Regardless of context, if his videos involves any women at all, his language is drenched in misogynistic slurs (especially the old country matters).
Kirk uploaded a video called "There's No Rape Culture", where he did a point-by-point "rebuttal" of RationalWiki's rape culture article that consisted entirely of gross misinterpretation, personal anecdotes, insults against feminists as a group, ad hominem, and the MRA favorite straw(wo)men of false rape accusers and the angry feminist mob seeking to jail everybody without trial. Ironically, he described how rape culture actually works almost perfectly in his follow-up video, but damn if he's ever going to let those hairy feminists ever be right about anything.
While his antifeminism isn't necessarily a problem, Kirk has come pretty damn close to misogyny several times, documented below.
 Tits vs. Ass
The "Sex" segment of Kirk's book Scumbag: Musings of a Subhuman closes with the chapter "Tits vs. Ass: The Final Showdown," which features a helpful comparison chart of pros and cons, with such charming observations as tits being "hard to stare at without the girl noticing," while "you can take a picture [of her ass] and she won't be any the wiser."
 Rape isn't fatal
As an example of his respect and care for his fellow humans, in his pompous and self-indulgent e-book Scumbag: Musings of a Subhuman (2007), Kirk writes:
|Rape isn't fatal. So imagine my indignation when I saw a chatroom called "Rape Survivors." Is this supposed to impress me? Someone fucked you when you didn't want to be fucked and you're amazed that you survived? Unless he used a chainsaw instead of his dick, what's the big deal? I don’t mean to be horrendously offensive and insensitive here, but everyone survives rape. The word survivor applies to people who are alive after being stabbed 73 times with an ice pick or mauled by rabid wolverines, not to a woman who gets dick when she doesn't want it. Just because you got raped, you have to rape the English language? You vindictive bitch! Also, don't you ever get tired of being the victim? How many failed relationships are you going to blame on a single violation of your personal space?|
In his video "Rape, Feminism, and the Amazing Atheist" Kirk attempts to explain his rationale behind writing this:
|This was a piece designed to motivate rape victims to not allow their victimhood to oppress them - to encourage them not to dwell on past events and move on with their lives. Why is it worded so offensively? Because when I wrote it I was a stupid twenty-two year old who had at this point only ever socialized with other people on online message boards, where this was simply how we talked. Not to mention it's supposed to be a humorous piece, in the same vein of shock humor as Bill Maher's party costume. In retrospect, I too find the piece overly callous and I would not write it today. But I did write it, and I don't apologize for it. It was how I felt at the time, and I really don't think the message of moving on from trauma is a negative one. I've been told by several rape victims that this piece actually motivated them to move on with their lives. I have yet to be told by one victim that it increased their trauma.|
|I told her, "You’re lucky it wasn't me. I’d have busted your fucking nose and raped you."|
 Reddit meltdown
On February 2012, in a thread on the MensRights subreddit about a distasteful username on a feminist board, he made a "joke" about how he wanted to violently rape one of its users. When he was informed the person in question was an actual rape victim and called out by said person for his abusive language and lack of respect for people with post-traumatic stress disorder, he complained about the very concept of trigger warnings and posted further graphic descriptions of how he would rape her again in a deliberate attempt to make her relive her trauma.
Choice statements include "I will make you a rape victim if you don't fuck off." and "I think we should give the guy who raped you a medal. I hope you fucking drown in rape semen, you ugly, mean-spirited cow."
|Kirk: My comments to you were wrong and I regret them, not just because I’m getting shit for them but because they were genuinely out of line. I was angry and I said stupid things, thinking I was making a point. I realize now that the point I was trying to make was totally overridden by the crudeness and the cruelty with which I expressed myself. For my behavior, I apologize. I realize that you probably will not believe the sincerity of my, or will not accept it, but I apologize nonetheless.
To Kirk: I’d be more willing to accept your apology if you were willing to post it in a public space, on your tumblr or on your Facebook page or as a response to the video you made complaining about us. I do not, at this point, forgive you in any way, shape or form. If you are truly remorseful I would encourage you to make a public apology not only to me, but to the others that you might have hurt with your graphic descriptions of rape. Your comments were cruel, it’s true, but you have a chance to make things a little bit better by pointing out to your fanbase that what you did was unacceptable.
Kirk: I don’t normally let other people bully me into doing what they want. Sorry, but a private apology is the best I’m willing to do. I have already publicly stated that what I said was wrong.
 Nutpicking victim
TheAmazingAtheist is perceived as the walking embodiment of a impacted tooth, both by the atheist community and by religious conservatives looking for convenient examples of famous atheists being assholes. In addition to the gaffes quoted above, he is equally tactless toward his debate opponents: other notable cases include his attacks on DonExodus2, a then-Christian who defended the theory of evolution, and Coughlan666, who said the atheists might "come around" to NightVisionPhantom while he was having a difficult time of his life, which Kirk misinterpreted as an attempt to use NightVisionPhantom's vulnerability to deconvert him to atheism.
For a while, Kirk made videos on Internet commentary site That Guy With the Glasses under the name of "Distressed Watcher." He wasn't exactly welcomed by the community with open arms, who petitioned to have him removed as soon as he was announced. He caused some in-fighting over the promotion of his videos, where he publicly claimed that his videos were usually at the bottom of the new videos list if even listed at all. After his video "The Top Ten Gayest Music Videos" was rejected for publication on the site, he half-assed his content and missed a couple deadlines until he was ultimately let go. The site has since erased all his content and none of its contributors have maintained any ties with him.
 E-begging and scams
In 2008 Kirk made many YouTube videos in which he asked for money for a roadtrip during which he would meet and interview many famous atheists and creationists, and then edit the interviews into a documentary. He took thousands of dollars in donations over several months, yet the trip never materialized. Kirk has outright denied memory of plans for this road-trip; however, a Myspace page still exists which includes now-deleted embedded videos about the roadtrip, a manifesto, donation buttons, and a photoshoot and various banners.
In 2009 Kirk ran a donation campaign for a planned website called FreeSpeechVids, which was to compete with YouTube and its supposed tight regulations. This site did materalize, although only briefly, and well below the capacity that was promised. A BlogTV session was held in order to campaign for money for the site. In this session people were kicked out of the room for donating but not quite donating an amount Kirk deemed enough; and one of Kirk's friends threatened to cut himself with a knife (shortly after threatening to shoot himself, holding a gun to Kirk's head, and shortly before actually cutting himself on camera) unless more donations were given. Upon the closure of the site, Kirk called all its members "fags" and made no attempt to refund donation money. In fact, a developer of the site, LodeRunner, accused Kirk of misappropriating the donation money. Kirk's best friend at the time also declared that he had misappropriated the donations . Kirk would later state he didn't know how the notion began that Free Speech Vids never in fact happened and stated Free Speech Vids was an active and fully operational website for more than a year. Tj claimed it closed down because he just couldn’t make it work and claimed it simply wasn’t a good business model. Kirk went on to say that instead of focusing on entertaining content and a high quality website, it was focused on free expression instead. Kirk declared most of the people who freely expressed themselves on it just weren’t very much fun to watch and announced no advertising networks wanted to touch it, which made it a horrible business model.
In August 2011 Kirk reported he had started work on a project called Not Productive, funded by various "contributers" and that it was due to launch later that month. In early 2012 Kirk started a big donation drive, explaining that the idea was to bring to light quality videomakers that get "buried under all the YouTube crap".. The site was to host its videos on Blip or YouTube, and the comments on Facebook. Kirk set a donation goal of $20,000, in the end taking over $17,000. In January 2013, one year and a half from the site's planned launch date, the site became publicly accessible for approximately two weeks. However, it was plagued with various glitches, was very basic in design, and Kirk had not acquired any dedicated "talent". As of June 2013, almost two years past the site's initial planned launch date, the site was not up in any official capacity. It eventually launched as a YouTube channel , Many ask where the $17+ thousand from the main donation drive (in addition to the unknown amount received from initial contributers) has gone and why it had taken Kirk so long to show anything.
On Jan 10, 2016 Tj made a video where he answered several questions from his audience including his opinion on MGTOW. While in a typical Tj fashion, using the opportunity to decry feminism which he claimed largely "hates men", Tj condemned the MGTOW movement as "dumb", "silly" and "stupid". Kirk announced that most women were okay and declared that MGTOW baselessly saw women as a threat.
 On this article
In 2012, Kirk wrote:
|[In response to "Why is your 'RationalWiki' article so vile and slanderous towards you?"]
Because it used to be really nice and complimentary, so some trolls found it and trashed it. Henceforth, they’ve prevented anyone from fixing it, and because trolls tend to have twice the dedication of fans, they win all such encounters.
 See also
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 I love how the whiny feminist morality brigade upvotes a user named "ICumWhenIKillMen." Screencap
- ↑ WHTM: The Amazing Atheist's Meltdown
- ↑ Scratch the Amazing Atheist Off Your List Too
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/user/TheAmazingAtheist/about
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwN8oLsEZKg
- ↑ http://www.youtube.com/user/TheAmazingAtheism
- ↑ http://www.youtube.com/user/TheAmazingArchivist
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0wI-4599k0
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmgp6fUrMAA
- ↑ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTpbIfkICM0
- ↑ http://mycharitywater.org/p/campaign?campaign_id=32753
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suSfNzAdNBU&
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABSyCmvq4IY
- ↑ Bullies
- ↑ Macho Trolling
- ↑ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOHXGNx-E7E&feature=plcp
- ↑ http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/amanda-todd-teenager-commits-suicide-1376976
- ↑ http://amazingatheist.tumblr.com/post/33484072757
- ↑ http://amazingatheist.tumblr.com/post/33499413430/why-do-you-suddenly-feel-more-important-than-amanda
- ↑ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTxtYJrCOA8
- ↑  playlist of Kirk's vids on vegetarianism
- ↑  Tumblr post on the morality of vegetarianism
- ↑ 
- ↑  Tumblr post on vegans
- ↑ 
- ↑ 
- ↑ Atheist Libertarian Defends Incest, Polygamy and Cannibalism!
- ↑ http://web.archive.org/web/20071228200126/http://www.mansonusa.com/forums/showpost.php?p=907893&postcount=22
- ↑ http://freethoughtblogs.com/lousycanuck/2014/07/22/on-that-quote-purported-to-be-by-the-amazing-atheist/
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPNumWFhxH8
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP2XTYQHdOY
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nihBhgYHDVk
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlSh6wBXePM
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KQQ1bzQn0k
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOqXQ_MVXUo
- ↑ Some criticism of Kirk's views on feminism
- ↑ TheAmazingAtheist compares feminists to the Ku Klux Klan
- ↑ A Q&A video from November 28th, 2013, where he explains his views on feminism. Further in, he talks a bit about misandry.
- ↑ Sexism Against Men DOES Exist!, which is just an example of a legal oversight without specific oppressive intent.
- ↑ It's Only Sexist When Men Do It, where he claims men are not allowed to joke about violence against women while ignoring that men like Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck say way more horrifying things without even a token attempt at dark comedy. Context is important for any incident.
- ↑ There's No Rape Culture
- ↑ The End of Rape
- ↑ "Who's the Damsel Now?", where he somehow thinks YouTube comments count as reasoned debate, and "REFUTING ANITA SARKEESIAN's "Damsel in Distress: Part 2", where he even trots out ye olde "be thankful us MEN rescue your ungrateful ass".
- ↑ ; screenshot.
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2NmbJ5iftM&t=213
- ↑ Scumbag: Musings of a Subhuman, page 96.
- ↑ Scumbag: Musings of a Subhuman, page 90.
- ↑ 
- ↑ Scumbag: Musings of a Subhuman, page 93.
- ↑ PZ Myers, "Not-So-Amazing Atheist Implodes"
- ↑ "PZ Liars", by that Fat Atheist.
- ↑ The not-so-Amazing Atheist self-immolates
- ↑ Horrible people don’t realize they’re horrible. This includes links to screen-caps of material that has been taken down in many places.
- ↑ TheAmazingAtheist’s Misogynist Meltdown
- ↑ https://youtu.be/K6ys-OklTOA?t=14m40s Youtube apology.]
- ↑ We Don’t Need You as an Atheist Spokesperson, TJ, yetanotheratheist.com
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv2SSGSJrB4
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8GM_OF_2ng
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6EcZGfSO98
- ↑ The “Amazing” Atheist Suicide Bombs Himself
- ↑ The Amazing Rape-Celebrating Atheist
- ↑ His video and this Tumblr post, which goes to show how much of a non-event this all was.
- ↑  a video on his e-begging
- ↑  another video on Kirk's e-begging
- ↑  a video declaring him a scam artist
- ↑ 
- ↑ ; now defunct, but old version still viewable through Wayback Machine
- ↑ 
- ↑ 
- ↑ 
- ↑ 
- ↑ https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/not-productive#/
- ↑ 
- ↑ 
- ↑ http://amazingatheist.tumblr.com/post/53726425086/youre-the-only-person-ive-seen-who-does-these-videos]
- ↑ [https://www.youtube.com/user/NotProductive
- ↑ https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/not-productive#/updates]
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEl1U8D51O4
- ↑ http://amazingatheist.tumblr.com/post/25118662907/why-is-your-rationalwiki-article-so-vile-and