|Dolphins and money|
|Key cosmic concepts|
The Secret is a movie (and book) created in 2006 that focuses on interviews and dramatizations that rationalize the New Age idea of the Law of Attraction. Various knock-off products such as books and pamphlets have also been produced. The Secret was originally marketed using a viral campaign until it was featured on Oprah and went mainstream. Since then, the promoters of the movie assure us, people have made remarkable transformations that continue to baffle the so-called "scientists." Which, being translated from the curious lingo of pseudoscience-pushing quacks, means that people have been dumping countless amounts of money, time and effort into the hopeless and selfish belief that if they ask for it hard enough then the universe will magically grant them their every wish and desire. Author Rhonda Byrne explains carefully that "Imperfect thoughts are the cause of humanity's ills", that "The only reason any person does not have enough money is because they are blocking money from coming to them with their thoughts", and that "You cannot 'catch' anything unless you think you can" -- this last may be why infants and toddlers, who don't know what illness is, are universally immune to all sickness.
Still, it can't hurt to remind yourself every morning that whatever pain, hardship, or sorrow you suffer in your journey through life, it's all your own damn fault. You've failed to attune yourself to the happy positive vibration that thrills through the universe. It's because of your unhappy thoughts; if you can't get rid of them, it's because you aren't trying hard enough. If only you redouble your effort to be happy, it might work this time; but you're too lazy and too much of a failure to ever make the grade.
 Featured Individuals
- Michael Bernard Beckwith: A New Thought minister and founder of the Agape International Spiritual Center in Culver City, California, he teaches meditation and “scientific prayer”[wp], speaks at conferences and seminars, and is the author of numerous books.. Salient quote: "There's enough for everyone. If you believe it, if you can see it, if you act from it, it will show up for you. That's the truth"
 Scientific consensus
Scholarly consensus has held that applying the theories of The Secret
is about as effective as an air conditioner on Pluto does not yield any results besides frustration and depression.
 See also
- Official website
- The Secret on IMDb
- The Secret Behind The Secret, eSkeptic
- What's Wrong with The Secret?, Skeptoid
- Self Help's Slimy "Secret", Washington Post
- Australian comedy group "The Chaser" try to harness The Secret. Hilarity ensues.