Essay:Bashing the Left about Censorship
Around the time this is being written, violence broke out at the University of California Berkeley in response to professional shit-head Milo Yiannopoulos. As usual, some people on the Right are collectively blaming the left for silencing free speech.
It's really unfair that all of us on the Left get blamed for the actions of a few. Yiannopoulos has
spewed his poison spoken at many campuses as part of his "Dangerous Faggot Tour". For the most part, Yiannopoulos' speeches were uneventful. There were protesters outside many of them, but they were just using their free speech rights to criticize Yiannopoulos. Here is a list of incidents where actual violence and/or censorship occured.
- 5 protesters at the University of Minnesota tried to silence Yiannopoulos via Heckler's Veto.
- 2 protesters rushed the stage at DePaul University
- Protesters at UCLA formed a human chain to block Yiannopoulos' entry at UCLA.
- Violence broke out at 7:00 pm at the University of Washington after the protests had been peaceful for 9 hours.
- 150 masked agistators caused violence at UC Berkeley. There were over 1000 nonviolent protesters.
I bolded these numbers for reason. Out of all the protesters against Milo Yiannopoulos, relatively few were attempting censorship/violence. It would be unfair for me to judge everyone on the Right for Neo-Nazi groups, so why do some people insist on judging everyone on the Left for a few violent agitators?