There is no RationalWiki without you. We are a small non-profit with no staff — we are hundreds of volunteers who document pseudoscience and crankery around the world every day. We will never allow ads because we must remain independent. We cannot rely on big donors with corresponding big agendas. We are not the largest website around, but we believe we play an important role in defending truth and objectivity.
If everyone seeing this today donates $5, we will meet our goal for 2018.
| Fighting pseudoscience isn't free.|
We are 100% user-supported! Help and donate $5, $20 or whatever you can today with !
Herein goeth anything regarding the technicalities of the wiki
- Problems with accessing/editing the wiki
- Questions about RW's configuration/extensions/servers/etc.
- In short, anything tech-y goes here
- Semi-frequent updates about RW's technical status are available at RationalWiki's blogspot.
- To view or suggest changes to configuration files and MediaWiki extensions, see RationalWiki's GitHub.
If your IP is blocked from editing as an open proxy: You need to go to your provider about it. The lists we use are xbl.spamhaus.org, dnsbl.tornevall.org, all.s5h.net. If your IP is on one of these lists, then your provider has a serious problem they need to resolve. We cannot get your ISP out of the blacklist.
Special:ProtectedPages is broken (sticky)
When I try and use this page this message (or something similar) comes up:
[34f7892f1a5a4dcc619cf39f] 2017-07-21 15:28:42: Fatal exception of type "MWException"
- @Tim Starling Sir ℱ℧ℤℤϒℂᗩℑᑭƠℑᗩℑƠ (talk/stalk) 18:07, 21 July 2017 (UTC)
@David Gerard Just a guess, but Google turns up this page, which claims to "implement[ ]Special:Protectedpages". I figure it's worth a shot but don't know how to implement it. Thoughts? Sir ℱ℧ℤℤϒℂᗩℑᑭƠℑᗩℑƠ (talk/stalk) 02:52, 23 August 2017 (UTC)
- @David Gerard Pssst! (also incase ping failed) αδελφός ΓυζζγςατΡοτατο (talk/stalk) 16:24, 23 August 2017 (UTC)
Note to self: https://github.com/tuirgin/tributaries-wiki/tree/master/includes/specials https://github.com/tuirgin/tributaries-wiki/tree/master/includes/specialpage oʇɐʇoԀʇɐϽʎzznℲ (talk/stalk) 12:39, 24 August 2017 (UTC)
- @FuzzyCatPotato I think you forgot. ClickerClock (talk) 13:27, 5 October 2017 (UTC)
Subsections playing up (sticky)
- The error occurs when a subsection is immediately before the end of a page. I'd bet that this is a result of the MediaWiki upgrade, but I've really no idea. Herr FüzzyCätPötätö (talk/stalk) 17:06, 4 September 2017 (UTC)
- And as these edits should make clear, this only occurs on certain pages. It could also be a template -- maybe something didn't close a div or a span and it's fucking with the subsections. FuzzyCatPotato of the Tacky Pillows (talk/stalk) 17:07, 4 September 2017 (UTC)
Any chance you could add description and image metatags to RationalWiki? Currently google search results or link expansions in apps like Discord look bad, very conservatively. A rational stance would be to maximize the exposure and nice-of-use for other people thus adding metatags. My humble suggestion would be for the image take the first image in the article (if any) for description take the first paragraph, ignoring the quote if it's there as the first paragraph. If it's at all possible, now I feel bad whenever I try to spam my friends with links to Rational Wiki because they look so dull. NoJohYouAreTheDemons (talk) 09:20, 5 October 2017 (UTC)
- We have a couple of options. We can go the Semantic Mediawiki route with: mw:Extension:Semantic Meta Tags, and Summary Cards or just leg it with mw:Extension:WikiSEO. @FuzzyCatPotato —ClickerClock (talk) 11:14, 13 October 2017 (UTC)
Email is broken
- Never mind, its just in the spam folder but...
From: Mail Delivery System <MAILER-DAEMON@rationalwiki.org> Subject:Undeliverable: RationalWiki email from user "ClickerClock" To: retracted email This is the mail system at host apache3.rationalwiki.org. I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below. For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster. If you do so, please include this problem report. You can delete your own text from the attached returned message. The mail system retracted email: host gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[2607:f8b0:400d:c0b::1a] said: 550-5.7.1 [2600:3c03::f03c:91ff:fe7a:f3c3] Our system has detected that this 550-5.7.1 message does not meet IPv6 sending guidelines regarding PTR records 550-5.7.1 and authentication. Please review 550-5.7.1 https://support.google.com/mail/?p=IPv6AuthError for more information 550 5.7.1 . q50si2670357qtf.477 - gsmtp (in reply to end of DATA command)}}
^ the error message.
- @David Gerard: The email is actually on fire, judging by this. Tech help pls! oʇɐʇoԀʇɐϽʎzznℲ (talk/stalk) 05:23, 16 October 2017 (UTC)
Page Steve Bannon edits blocked as vandalism
My edits to page Steve Bannon has been blocked due to a pattern of vandalism on that particular page by other users. My edits are as follows:
Being a self-proclaimed populist with anti-establishment views, Bannon DID try and push for a 44% marginal tax cut on the highest earners in the country , presumably in a roundabout attempt to try and bankrupt his old colleagues in the EEEVEL Liberal media. He also broke rank by openly opposing possible military action in North Korea, but his resignation leaves the future of the Land of the Morning Calm uncertain.
- I gave @LordZedd autopatrolled status; it will enable edits on the page. Bongolian (talk) 03:58, 17 October 2017 (UTC)
I am not a robot
If I edit without logging in I have to click "I am not a robot", fair enough so far, but if I log in I have to click on endless photos of cars and street signs to prove I'm legit, every time. Is this the right way round? 22.214.171.124 (talk) 19:08, 19 October 2017 (UTC)
- What browser and what version are you using? Zero (talk - contributions) 19:16, 19 October 2017 (UTC)
- After a day and 10 edits all CAPTCHAs go away. Christopher (talk) 19:18, 19 October 2017 (UTC)
- (Ec ^ or that.)Unfortunately, such mundane questions are not going to help with determining why recaptcha has decided to extra-verify this user.
- Their exact algorithms for when to ask for more information(like street-sign object recognition) are secret, but experts in the field have decided that it has a lot to do with how many google services you use and whether your pattern of using them in the past 2-3 months looks "human". The "best" advice I can give you is to log into a gmail account from the IP address you edit from.
- And if using a large corporation's products to prove you're human sounds Orwellian and awful, welcome to two thousand and fucking seventeen. ikanreed 🐐Bleat at me 19:24, 19 October 2017 (UTC)