|What kind of file would you like to upload?
- My own work
- I created it, own all the rights to it, and have not used anyone else's work in making it.
- Media released under a free license
- For example: CC-BY-SA, CC-BY, GFDL, content from MediaWiki Commons, or works in the public domain.
- Fair use
- Non-free media that meets the criteria for fair use.
|Permitted file types:
- JPEG is appropriate for photographs. This format uses lossy compression, i.e. it degrades image quality to decrease file size. This is less noticeable in photographs, but makes it unsuitable for graphics and screenshots.
- SVG is the preferred format for graphics, diagrams, maps etc. It can be scaled without getting blurry or pixelated. It is also easily editable. It supports full transparency.
- PNG is preferred for screenshots and is the second preferred format for graphics (when no SVG file is available). It supports full transparency.
- GIF is suitable for animated graphics. It only supports 1-bit transparency (a pixel is either visible or completely transparent) and a maximum of 256 distinct colors.
Audio and video:
- OGG, OGA and OGV are files in the OGG Vorbis and OGG Theora format. They can be embedded and played in wiki pages. OGG audio files are preferred over MP3s because of their better support in the wiki software and modern browsers.
- Tools for converting files to the OGG format: firefogg, ffcoder, ffmpeg2theora. See this page for more information.
- MP3 files can also be embedded in wiki pages using the flashmp3 tag.
- PDF and DJVU files are scanned text documents. They can be previewed and individual pages can be embedded as an image in wiki pages.
- XCF is the native format of the image editor GIMP. Although these files cannot be embedded, they are useful for storing multi-layered source images for later editing.
- TTF and EOT are formats used for downloadable fonts. See Help:Wikisig#Downloadable fonts for more information.
|Using files on wiki pages:
- [[File:Example.jpg]] to use the full version of the file.
- [[File:Example.png|thumb|left|alt text]] to use a thumbnail-size rendition in a box in the left margin with 'alt text' as description. See Help:Images for more information.
- [[:File:Example.png]] to link to the file description page without displaying the file.
- [[Media:Example.png]] to directly link to the file without displaying it.
- [[File:Example.ogg]] to embed an OGG audio or video file.
- <flashmp3>Example.mp3</flashmp3> to embed an MP3 audio file. See this page for more information.
- [[File:Example.pdf|page=2]] to embed an individual page of a PDF or DJVU file.
To view or search previously uploaded images go to the list of uploaded files. Uploads and reuploads are logged in the upload log, deletions in the deletion log.