Jump to navigation Jump to search

I was wondering if you could do me a favour and evaluate this idea. I'm reconstructing the sidebar templates as a standard format. To maintain flexibility I have a header (pussbox/1) and footer (pussbox/4) and then two other templates to stick in the middle, one being content (pussbox/2) and the other being random (pussbox/3). This achieves the flexibility needed; i.e., they don't all have to follow the same format and order of content and random sections. Your thoughts would be appreciated on the workability of this.


Also: The vte links don't work because the vte template defaults to the template space, so won't follow back and I've changed the border to 1px, which is fitting with Vector's look.

Scarlet A.pngpostate12:00, 19 December 2010

It occurs to me that dpl seems to have issues with transclusions. Would it therefore work best to drop the random section (pussbox/3) and just have it as a normal "content" section with the dpl code in place of the list?

Scarlet A.pngpostate12:02, 19 December 2010

The current version uses the same sub-template and replaces the list content with dpl. I believe with the right documentation this is probably best.

The issue of repeating identical parameters is where I was mostly asking for ideas. Obviously, we can have one template for all, but this way allows us to construct one of any size, with multiple lists. We might even be able to add extra images as is seen on the {{pseudosciencenav}} template.

Is there a clever way around it so we can have the flexibility and ease? I just can't spot one.

Scarlet A.pngpostate12:57, 19 December 2010

I think you should have a content param in /1, combine /1 and /4, then use /2 to format the content and pass that as a parameter to /1. I hope that's not too confusing.

-- Nx / talk19:51, 19 December 2010

Clear as mud, but I assume you mean embedding one template inside the other?

Scarlet A.pngpostate20:57, 19 December 2010


-- Nx / talk21:00, 19 December 2010

Tried it. Got confused. Will try again.

Scarlet A.pngpostate21:23, 19 December 2010

I have given it a shot and started with {{religion}}, {{pseudoscience}}, {{atheism}} and {{media}}. The base can be found at {{navsidebar}}. I imagine you will want to kill me but it all seems to work exactly the same as before - although I have noticed that with the fixed text size the longer titles make the template wider. I'm not too concerned about this, however, as the base can be edited to reduce the size no problem.

Scarlet A.pngpostate13:02, 3 January 2011

Nah, I have a cold, I feel like shit, I'm working on something big-ish already (it's a surprise), and I'm trying to lose my "if you want something done properly, do it yourself" attitude, so if it works, I'm happy. And thanks, of course.

-- Nx / talk13:20, 3 January 2011

I just trust your judgement with these things. It's there if you want to take a look but I'm sure the problems can be ironed out in the usual fashion.

Scarlet A.pngpostate13:38, 3 January 2011

At a cursory glance it looks fine, I see you've changed it as I suggested above. Nice work.

-- Nx / talk13:43, 3 January 2011

Also, cheers for the SVG-ifying the last icon. I've only just got around to reinstalling a proper vector graphics program so, in theory, should be able to do that myself next time.

Scarlet A.pngpostate14:37, 3 January 2011

F**kity f**k. When you do the SVGsvgs it normalises to 200x200 and gives it a small border, when I've done it straight out of Illustrator it's gone to the edges so the icons "look" larger for the same technical size. What margins did you put on?

Scarlet A.pngpostate18:02, 3 January 2011

I don't think I have any margins... the document is 200 by 200 pixels, and then I just made the circle so it fits nicely. I don't really remember any more. Let me check the svg source code.

-- Nx / talk18:15, 3 January 2011

I just figured it was whatever you were using to convert. {{Portal portal}} shows it up - the creationism and evolutionism ones are what I've just made and you can see them push up to the edge of the box.

Scarlet A.pngpostate18:19, 3 January 2011

Why are yours 92x93 btw?

-- Nx / talk18:31, 3 January 2011

I was creating them from scratch in Illustrator rather than using an svg of an existing one. Hence the size and padding change. There was an issue with the drop shadow working properly but I've got it sorted now. Wonga!

Scarlet A.pngpostate18:36, 3 January 2011

I don't think so. Looking at the source, it seems the gradient is being converted to an image by illustrator.

-- Nx / talk18:38, 3 January 2011

Yes, it seemed to have misinterpreted that when I opened it, and produced this version. Whatever the problem is, I think it at least looks right now.

Scarlet A.pngpostate18:42, 3 January 2011

Meh, it only takes a couple seconds to paste in the gradient object, so I'll I've fixed them. Also, IMHO the color on the evolution one was too bland, so I changed it.

-- Nx / talk18:52, 3 January 2011

That's fine. I've adjusted the template to match. It was annoying me that it was the only one that didn't have white text.

Scarlet A.pngpostate19:10, 3 January 2011

Ah, I see inkscape saves svg files in a format it calls Inkscape SVG, which uses a bunch of inkscape specific stuff. I'll resave it as Plain SVG

-- Nx / talk18:18, 3 January 2011

Ok, try this

-- Nx / talk18:24, 3 January 2011