RationalWiki's 2020 Fundraiser

There is no RationalWiki without you. We are a small non-profit with no staff – we are hundreds of volunteers who document pseudoscience and crankery around the world every day. We will never allow ads because we must remain independent. We cannot rely on big donors with corresponding big agendas. We are not the largest website around, but we believe we play an important role in defending truth and objectivity.

If everyone who saw this today donated $5, we would meet our goal for 2021.

Fighting pseudoscience isn't free.
We are 100% user-supported! Help and donate $5, $20 or whatever you can today with PayPal Logo.png!

Donations so far: $2120Goal: $3500

Essay:Critical mind

From RationalWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Essay.svg This essay is an original work by Jim Jast.
It does not necessarily reflect the views expressed in RationalWiki's Mission Statement, but we welcome discussion of a broad range of ideas.
Unless otherwise stated, this is original content, released under CC-BY-SA 3.0 or any later version. See RationalWiki:Copyrights.
Feel free to make comments on the talk page, which will probably be far more interesting, and might reflect a broader range of RationalWiki editors' thoughts.

The critical mind is a person who won't believe in somethng that contradicts other beliefs of this person. Apparenly such people make only 5% of general population. It means that the other 95% may be more or less easily persuaded that what they know as untrue is actually true. The critical minds can't be persuaded that what they they know as untrue is true. If they can be pesuaded, they are not critical minds.

It does not imply that people who believe that something is true and can't be persuaded that it is not are critical mind as well. Most likely they aren't since knowing that something false isn't symmetric with knowing that something is true. It is easier to disprove something than to prove that something is true. While the former is often possible the latter is often impossible. That's why the science progresses only by disproving things, then known as prejudices.