Essay:The female image in the Old Testament
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The image of the female present by the bible is one of constant inferiority. It shocking how many women can stand to be Christians.
- Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.
- Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. And if they will learn anything, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for woman to speak in the church.
- And if a man sell his daughter to be a maidservant, she shall not go out as the menservants do. If she please not her master, who hath betrothed her to himself, then shall he let her be redeemed: to sell her unto a strange nation he shall have no power, seeing he hath dealt deceitfully with her.
- And whosoever lieth carnally with a woman, that is a bondmaid, betrothed to an husband, and not at all redeemed, nor freedom given her; she shall be scourged; they shall not be put to death, because she was not free.
- And thy estimation shall be of the male from twenty years old even unto sixty years old, even thy estimation shall be fifty shekels of silver, after the shekel of the sanctuary. And if it [be] a female, then thy estimation shall be thirty shekels.
- And seest among the captives a beautiful woman, and hast a desire unto her, that thou wouldest have her to thy wife. Then thou shalt bring her home to thine house, and she shall shave her head, and pare her nails. And she shall put the raiment of her captivity from off her, and shall remain in thine house, and bewail her father and her mother a full month: and after that thou shalt go in unto her, and be her husband, and she shall be thy wife. And it shall be, if thou have no delight in her, then thou shalt let her go whither she will...
- ↑ http://bible.cc/genesis/3-16.htm
- ↑ http://www.sacred-texts.com/wmn/wb/wb68.htm
- ↑ http://www.sacred-texts.com/bib/kjv/exo021.htm
- ↑ http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=3&chapter=19&version=9
- ↑ http://www.blueletterbible.org/kjv/Lev/Lev027.html
- ↑ http://www.ethicalatheist.com/docs/bible_female.html