Marmite is the most appalling foodstuff in the world.[Note 1] Despite looking like a fairly tasty chocolate spread, it's actually some vegetable extract that is processed to hell, removing any decent flavour from it. It tastes like crap, and is known to induce vomiting on sight. Marmite was used as a punishment for naughty school children but it was considered too cruel and unusual so was replaced by the cane.
Marmite is actually a 100% vegan-approved product, and is made entirely from yeast by-products. Its origins were the brewing industry, as it was made from the leftover yeast scraped from the insides of the brewing vessels. Yum!
Marmite is horrible. Marmite in New Zealand is different from Marmite in the UK. What the British call Marmite is what New Zealanders call Vegemite and it is truly awesome stuff. New Zealand Marmite is best enjoyed on toast with a heck of a lot of butter.
The Marmite vs. Vegemite debate is almost like the PC vs Mac vs Linux debate. Which one corresponds to which, no one knows...
- For an equally divisive "food" product, try Stilton cheese.
- Marmite "Paddington" TV commercial.
- Marmite "Nursing Mother" TV commercial.
- Pizza Hut New Zealand Releases Marmite-Stuffed Crust Pizza
- Except maybe for lutefisk. Maybe.
- Well, not exactly if you count tobacco, but the advertiser don't work for the manufacturers however...