Teflpedia is "a wiki dedicated to everything associated with teaching English as a foreign language or second language."[note 1]
Articles that may be of interest to RationalWikians
- Conversation questions on various topics, especially controversial ones. Try to grade language, and keep the questions reasonable, not too leading.
- Anything to do with English grammar, discourse, etc.
- There are articles on things like science, pseudoscience, falsifiability, hypothesis , etc. Note that these should have an ESL-focus, rather than a general focus.
- There are wacky "methods for language learning" that are out there.
Host to RationalWiki
It was owned at the time by RationalWikian Bob M. Being a veteran member of RationalWiki, Bob turned over the English-teaching encyclopædia to the mob for use during the 2009 August-September server crash. It subsequently became the most popular destination for RationalWikians during the crash, for which several reasons have been speculated:
- It was fully owned by "one of the gang" who would not object.
- It had no pre-conceived stance in respect of the issues in which RW is interested.
- It was simply the first place people went when they had an offer.
- The wiki is not highly active anyway, and in the summer it was even more quiet.
- The website is wiki-based, and attracted the wiki-comfy users.
- Everyone loves Bob.
The current logo - a mortarboard with "teflpedia" spelled out in phonetic symbols underneath - was created during the RationalWikians stay at Teflpedia with the help of some of the more technology-savvy RationalWikians. This and the associated favicon are now almost all that remains of the visit - the rest having being cleaned out over subsequent weeks.
It has nothing to do with frying pans.