Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Serves 6 (or two if you really like it)
- About 1kg rhubarb stalks
- 75 - 100g sugar (depends on how sour the rhubarb is)
For the crumble:
- 250g plain flour
- 175g butter
- 150g sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 C or Gas Mark 5.
- Remove the leaves from the rhubarb and trim the bottom of the stalks. Chop the remaining stalks into about 1 inch (2.5 cm) pieces.
- Grease a shallow oven-proof dish and put the rhubarb in the bottom. Cover with the sugar. Mix a little and arrange in an even layer.
- Roast in the oven for 10 minutes, until the rhubarb is starting to soften and the juices are flowing. Check the fruit is sweet enough and add a little more sugar, if needed.
- Meanwhile, put the butter and flour in a bowl and rub together with your fingertips to make breadcrumbs. (If you have a food processor, put them in the bowl with the chopping blade and blitz for about 30-60 seconds, until breadcrumbs are formed).
- Stir in the sugar and pour the crumble evenly over the fruit layer. Press the crumble down with your fingers, to make it firmer, and make sure it goes to the edges of the dish.
- Bake the crumble for about 40 minutes, until the top is golden.
Delicious with fresh cream or custard.