Once you have the ingredients, this is a simple, delicious, and extremely healthy way to begin your day.
- •Oats. I like to use an equal mix of chopped and whole oats. If you use only whole oats, then it won't absorb enough water. If you use only chopped oats, then the result is a little grainy.
- •Flaxseed. Buy from a bin somewhere; don't waste money at a health food store.
- •Blackstrap molasses. Utterly repellent on its own, it's the key ingredient in baked beans. It has a great nutritious punch.
1. Put on the kettle.
2. Mix the ingredients. Add mostly oats, then add a handful of raisins (more or less, depending on desired sweetness) and a dash of flaxseed and buckwheat. For the molasses, the best way is to just dip the back of your spoon in - err on the side of less, since you don't want it to be overpowering.
3. Add boiling water. I like to add to the top of the oats, and then stir until it is absorbed (~3 minutes).